Reece Styche
No votes

Total votes: 27

Jackygold55
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: 16-09-14 Altrincham (H)

Post by Jackygold55 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:17 pm

Krasnyi wrote:Wasn't able to make it this evening but a great result. Now waiting for the inevitable posting telling me we were lucky to get 4 and that Gash was awful etc etc!
We deserved four goals, gash had a great night and got clapped by the main and north stand during his warm down. Says it all.

However, again although we are playing defensively, Altrincham should really have scored at least one goal, probably more.

DownTheLine
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by DownTheLine » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:28 pm

Gash did nothing more than put away a fairly standard chance that any forward should be putting away.

Apart from that, can't remember another meaningful contribution that he made.

Both Johnson and Styche's goals were better quality.

We need a much better performance than that on Saturday.

Jackygold55
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Jackygold55 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:36 pm

DonutUK wrote:Gash did nothing more than put away a fairly standard chance that any forward should be putting away.

Apart from that, can't remember another meaningful contribution that he made.

Both Johnson and Styche's goals were better quality.

We need a much better performance than that on Saturday.
Sometimes it's not what you do, it's what you bring to the table. He brought strength and made the two centrebacks scared. This allowed us to exploit the wings with pace to score the majority of our goals. Don't underestimate based on how he took his goal.

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:44 pm

Now waiting for the inevitable posting telling me we were lucky to get 4 and that Gash was awful etc etc!
Be my guest: We were lucky to get 4 and that Gash was awful......
as were the whole team to be honest.

It was a game so devoid of any pretence of class, craft or ability from either team it was hard not to turn the radio on and listen to the Champions league commentary.
Although set up with Gash up front predictably the quality of service was negligible.
The midfield had a frankly abysmal night. The only bright sparks were the quality of the finishing and the sparky Obeng, who looked interested at least.
All topped off by GW going 4-5-1 for the last 15 mins with 'Tumbledown' Styche as the lone striker and two wingers. In fact Grimes played just off Styche for a while....incredible.

The 'winning ugly' brigade have their wish in spades. :roll:
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:26 pm

Bloody hell Garth.

Awful? There were mistakes etc but many turned in a decent performance in the end. Being critical, Alty had too many chances but it was a convincing win. Not brilliant but important after two defeats.

When a player makes a mistake there are a plethora of voices ready to moan and barrack (including me at times) but I honestly think some are blind to the good stuff on the pitch. Fans are itching to have a pop at Storer for example (and he played some poor passes tonight) but are slow to offer any words of praise. Makes me chuckle

Tamworth Harrier
1st team
1st team

Post by Tamworth Harrier » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:34 pm

Donut you really do live upto your name and are so predictable. Result better than the performance. Think that performance really showed our lack of midfield quality. Still no gitto is he injured?

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:39 pm

Well well 4-0 peeps,,,,,,who saw that coming?

Certainly not me after the first 30 minutes of drab/dreary 'Hoofball' which Altringham's C/B 's Marshall & Havern mopped up without
any real concern, it really was p*ss poor from Harrriers and the biggest culprit was the goal keeper, who repeatedly refused the option of laying off the ball to a defender to lump it forward - a tactic that was frustrating to watch as both Gash & Reid laboured to get half a sniff of a chance.

What I want to know is Danny Lewis playing to orders or has he just lost his confidence to pass the ball ten yards - the fact that as soon as the opposition went down to ten men he changed his approach,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.

We shouldn't have been too surprised , as the team selection was once again defence orientated, with a midfield of Storer/Grimes & Byrne it was never going to be pretty - I feel sorry for Grimes who always gives 100%+ and didn't have a bad game, but he's never going to be the creative force needed to unlock the opposition to provide the ammunition for the forwards. Jack Byrne was once again disappointing and he struggles after the hour to have any impact, even against ten men, and Storer just seems to have lost his confidence on the ball.

On the plus side - all the goals were well taken, perhaps Marvin's was the best as he bent it with his 'wrong' foot, in fact MJ was the only real attacking threat all game and does seem to have finally begun to realise some of that potential we all know he has - he looks to have come of age and his work ethic has improved significantly.
Jake Green looked promising after a shaky start, and second half, I thought he showed some class, bearing in mind it was his full debut, he did OK.

Gashy had a good game and took his goal with a calmness a less experienced striker might have snatched at - I think his overall performance justified his return to the starting eleven, although I think he still comes too deep to get the ball, again perhaps an indictment of the midfield

Overall a good result but I do wonder if it might be papering over the cracks,,,,,,,,Saturday will tell us more.

Finally - any one know IF Gitto is injured?

SCORES ON THE DOORS

Lewis..........................6 Kept a clean sheet, but I did get annoyed at his mindless punts for 50 minutes
Green.........................7 Looks every bit as good going forward as Hodgkiss, time will tell if he's as good a defender.
Gowling.......................8 On the end of some rough treatment from the 'Donkey' Perry and look a studded challenge from Richman, but Josh soldiered on, usual solid commanding performance.
Dunkley ..................... 6 Strangely subdued game - looked out of sorts.
Nicholson.....................7 Reluctant to go over the half way line for an hour, again one assumes instructions, but did set up Styche for the fourth goal at the end.
Storer.........................6 Has lost his way - another needless booking and was somewhat anonymous until he got subbed.
Byrne..........................5 Struggled to get into the game and lack of stamina all too obvious, tired looking challenge resulted in a yellow card - amazed he played the full match.
Grimes........................7 Best of the 'minders' and had a thundering shot rebound off the post, kept going well, but he's bit of a fish out of water - which doesn't say much about the other two I'm afraid.
Johnson.......................9 The only real threat all match and scored a great goal to boot, still get's decisions wrong too often, and he needs to look further that the strip in front of him, but overall he looks to have 'grown up' - wonder if he's changed agents?
Gash...........................7 Bearing in mind this was his first start, think he had a good game, fed on scraps, but still got the all important first goal when things were not going too well, and took the chance with composure - a sign of a good striker.
Reid............................7 A goal and an assist, but looked frustrated at times with the lack of quality coming his way, and as a result did little else.

SUBS

Verma........................6 Gave the ball away to much for me, but did set up Johnson for his goal.
Styche........................6 Scored a goal which is always good, but not sure he's a lone striker - which is what he was asked to do for 18 minutes.
Obeng......................Little time or opportunity to credit a score, but he looks very quick.
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

centreforeword
1st team
1st team

Post by centreforeword » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:42 pm

Tamworth Harrier wrote:Donut you really do live upto your name and are so predictable. Result better than the performance. Think that performance really showed our lack of midfield quality. Still no gitto is he injured?
Yep - Gitto has a foot injury apparently.

First half hour was a non event to say the least.

We were lacking confidence after our last two defeats and Alty didn't fancy it either. Wondered why I was making the regular 120 mile round trip.

Great volley (for this standard of footie) by Gash to score the first and then we regained our confidence and it was game on.

Whilst not everything he did came off and his judgment wasn't great at times (eg shooting instead of laying it off) nonetheless thought Marvin worked hard and had a great game.

Let's hope this now gives us the necessary lift for Saturday :grin:

All in all the score flattered us. We had more quality than them in front of goal. But we deserved the win nonetheless.

Pie in the Sky
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Pie in the Sky » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:14 am

I don't know if anyone's been to a league 2 game lately, but Whild's "hoofball" is very closely aligned to what I've seen from most teams at that level. It may not be pretty, but by and large it's getting the job done.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:01 am

***** WARNING - This comment is not to be taken too seriously *******

Having read Phil's match report - I'm not sure I was there last night :oops2:

What's all this about Kiddy playing towards the Alty fans first half. ?

Compared to recent reports & previews where the tone has been more than a little critical, Phil seems to have lurched the other way,,,,,,,,,,, :wink:

I know we won 4-0 BUT it was dire at times,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,has Phil been 'got at'???

And for those who can't see the wood for the trees, please watch the video of the match :lol:

NB Love reading the reports Phil, but JB - MotM ?????????????
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:21 am

Well a sigh of relief then after 90 minutes.

I must admit I thought the majority of the first half (until we scored) was pretty even being played at a very fast pace with balls flying everywhere and not a huge amount of control by either side. Some might say it was fast hoofball and maybe it was. I must say I did not find it overly entertaining.

However, the Gash goal followed by the second a short while later from a goal keeping error after Johnson had finally been put on the left and his shot parried into Reid's path pretty much secured the points.

The second half saw a slowing in Alty's game - I thought they were running out of legs - and the sending off really did seal their fate.

Johnson got the goal he deserved and I was especially pleased to see a quality collect, turn and finish from Styche to round things off. 4 goals - one from each striker and our winger. Dunkley must be fearing his leading scorer banner being under threat.

An excellent confidence boost for the visit of Grimsby but that will be a much sterner test.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:42 am

Pie in the Sky wrote:I don't know if anyone's been to a league 2 game lately, but Whild's "hoofball" is very closely aligned to what I've seen from most teams at that level. It may not be pretty, but by and large it's getting the job done.
Me thinks some might argue otherwise, apart from Gateshead - I would say the results against Southport, where Harriers in the past, have a very good record and Chester where 'scared' football cost us points.
I would be the first to acknowledge GW is doing the job with one hand tied behind his back (money) but even so, I think the way he is setting up the team is way too defensive and it's painful to watch at times - GK punting the ball just one example.

The acid test is whether the 'average' fan will want to come and watch that brand of football, even if Harriers do win a fair proportion of games at Aggborough - we are back to the debate of playing 'ugly football' and it's consequences.

The attendance last night would indicate (to me anyway) that Mr Joe Average is not warming to GW's style of football, last season only one game had a lower attendance (**1448 for Woking) and that was Thorn's last match in charge, where I think a fair few stayed away in protest. The drop off in numbers is a real concern with the club on the edge, financially.

My memory may be playing tricks again, but I think this season GW has gone even more negative in his approach, easily accounted for by the loss of Vaughan & Mickey D perhaps - or is it the influence of Mark Creighton??

Although to some degree, how Harriers are playing at the moment is understandable, it's still painful to watch, where certain players are struggling with the basics. Even though in the end Alty lost 4-0, at times last night (until they went down to ten men), they were playing the better football, and with a decent striker the result could have been very different.

It will be interesting to see whether Gittings can get his place back when fit(??) as up to now he has been benched for most of the games anyway.

I know those of a more 'reasoned' nature will slate me for having a pop after a 4-0 victory, but after all is said and done - do we have to be quite so negative?

Discuss

** When away fans for each game are taken into account last night's number of Harriers fans were the lowest since mid October 2011, when a mere 1280 Kiddy fans watched a shambolic 5-4 victory over Braintree, when coincidentally Tom Marshall was playing in Harriers back line !!

auspice
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by auspice » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:55 am

I was there and saw the same game as Garth and R&WM.

The performance was poor, and it was a poor game.

The goals were well taken but in truth Alty had chances to make the flattering score much closer and only in the last few minutes did we make our man advantage tell.

Gash took his goal well but won little against tugboat Marshall and his Italian partner. Johnson is the bright spark for me. He is the one player we have who can bring some real quality and excitement - massive improvement in attitude from last season and took his goal superbly (as did Styche).

Green was understandably nervous and had one or two suicide moments defensively. However, he showed some quality going forward and put in a couple of decent crosses. Promising, but a better team might have exploited his naivety. Even Jamie Lawrie looked half decent against him in the opening 45 minutes.

pb12345
1st team
1st team

Post by pb12345 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:47 am

Not the best of games granted, but quality finishing (for a change) won us the game comfortably. Have a feeling we will see a completely different game Saturday, tough one though it is, we will shine, as we tend to do against better quality opposition.

COYR

pb12345
1st team
1st team

Post by pb12345 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:50 am

Oh , and as for the few comments about Gash not bringing a lot..... whaaaaaat???

granted a bit rusty at times, but some of his passing was tremendous (I do say "some"). Not all the time granted. But come on, some credit surely.

Improvement with game time?