Ahmed Obeng
44%

Total votes: 9

DownTheLine
Subs bench
Subs bench

Re: MotM: 11-10-14 Barnet (A)

Post by DownTheLine » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:04 pm

Paul wrote:Feeling very pleased for Gary Whild this evening.
Why?

He's managed to produce 45 mins of decent football, rescuing a point, yet has produced hours of relentless dross for the majority of the season.

Let's not get too carried away, hopefully we've turned a corner, but too early to start celebrating yet.

The inclusion of JOKe on the bench is still a major concern!

Paul
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Paul » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:54 pm

Why?

Because he has proved that he is quite capable of producing an alternative game plan as and when required and that people, such as yourself, who are waiting in the wings with their sharpened knives, will have to wait a little while longer for their anticipated perverse enjoyment.

HarrierN2
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by HarrierN2 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:01 pm

I don't buy that Paul. A LOT of people on here have been despairing at the type of football GW has insisted on playing.

Hopefully he got a proper rush of excitement today in the second half and saw what can be achieved with a more positive approach. I think that's all the naysayers are really asking for.

Paul
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Paul » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:23 pm

But some of the 'naysayers' were also ready to stab the attack-minded Steve Burr.

It all comes down as to whether the criticism is constructive or destructive.

P.Underwood
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by P.Underwood » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:11 pm

Good job the players didn't cave in at halftime like everyone on this thread.
Should have been out of sight by the but credit to GW/MC but most of all the players really took the game to Barnet 2nd half & you could sense when we got the 1st we belived we could get something.
Martin Allen did us a favour in taking ikindie off at 3-0 but we still had to score the goals,hopefully GW will set the team up more positively from the start now as we showed we are a threat when we commit bodies forward.
Obeng made a massive difference & gave us an outlet & obviously Nicholsons deliverys created 2 goals but I think Byrne had his best 45 mins of the season which really made a difference.
Based on the whole 90 mins I'd give my MOM to hodgkiss

The White Snowman
1st team
1st team

Post by The White Snowman » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:13 pm

Krasnyi wrote:Halifax thrashed by Eastleigh, they'll be there for the takin next Saturday!
Or they could have a massive rollocking and be massively up for it!

Krasnyi
1st team
1st team

Post by Krasnyi » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:46 pm

Well, yeah, that did occur to me too!

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:49 pm

Lost the internet at HT so I missed all the excitement - bloody Plusnet !! :rage:

I must admit I did not see that coming 3-0 down and apparently totally out played according to Matt Wall - I wonder what was said at the interval.

Just hope GW can decide on his starting strikers and give them a run of games - starting with Gashy & Blissett just so happens to be a combo he hasn't tried yet :oops2:

Any way congrats to the team for proving miracles do sometimes happen.

I wonder if it was an 'ugly draw?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :lol:
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Flashheart
Youth team
Youth team

Post by Flashheart » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:00 pm

Listening to the game on the radio, it sounded like Barnet got complacent and gifted us a draw. The 3 goals appeared to come from nowhere and the ironic thing is once we got the second and third goals, we were unlucky not to go on and win the game. Which proves why you should never give up. To come from 3 goals down at HT to draw 3-3 away at current league leaders, albeit ones in a slightly false position in my opinion (they won't win the league) is a superlative effort and shows our tags of 'comeback kings' from a couple of years ago hasn't disappeared.

Which leads me to make 2 points:

1) Why have WE been the team thus far this season to be on the receiving end of comebacks, throwing away leads and conceding late equalisers and winners? I don't know how much Barnet underestimated their lead yesterday, but it would appear that we have got the fitness levels that some on here had doubted to play, compete and concentrate for 90 mins. Of course, you are only going to come from 3-0 down to draw every now and again, but you have to question why we haven't seen this never-say-die attitude that was our greatest asset 2-3 years ago more often recently because yesterday we proved that we've still got it (the fight and belief).

2) This must be a precedent for us now. After yesterday, I NEVER AGAIN want to attend a game or even listen to a game on the radio where we've thrown the towel in after going 1, 2 or 3 goals down, or hear the attitude that 'we've lost this game now' or 'we have no chance of coming back from this' (unless it is bleedingly obvious the game is lost). As brilliant as the fightback was at Barnet, we have set a benchmark now to show the SAME fight, belief and commitment in EVERY single minute of EVERY single game. Yesterday's game means very little if it is only a one-off.

No more wasted matches or minutes now. However well we do this season, let's make this attitude of 'never knowing when we're beaten' whatever the score, situation or opponents a cornerstone of our characterisation again. Good things will happen and the fans will love them even more for it. :comeonkiddy:

pb12345
1st team
1st team

Post by pb12345 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:23 pm

Flashheart wrote:Listening to the game on the radio, it sounded like Barnet got complacent and gifted us a draw. The 3 goals appeared to come from nowhere and the ironic thing is once we got the second and third goals, we were unlucky not to go on and win the game. Which proves why you should never give up. To come from 3 goals down at HT to draw 3-3 away at current league leaders, albeit ones in a slightly false position in my opinion (they won't win the league) is a superlative effort and shows our tags of 'comeback kings' from a couple of years ago hasn't disappeared.

1) Why have WE been the team thus far this season to be on the receiving end of comebacks, throwing away leads and conceding late equalisers and winners? I don't know how much Barnet underestimated their lead yesterday, but it would appear that we have got the fitness levels that some on here had doubted to play, compete and concentrate for 90 mins. Of course, you are only going to come from 3-0 down to draw every now and again, but you have to question why we haven't seen this never-say-die attitude that was our greatest asset 2-3 years ago more often recently because yesterday we proved that we've still got it (the fight and belief).

2) This must be a precedent for us now. After yesterday, I NEVER AGAIN want to attend a game or even listen to a game on the radio where we've thrown the towel in after going 1, 2 or 3 goals down, or hear the attitude that 'we've lost this game now' or 'we have no chance of coming back from this' (unless it is bleedingly obvious the game is lost). As brilliant as the fightback was at Barnet, we have set a benchmark now to show the SAME fight, belief and commitment in EVERY single minute of EVERY single game. Yesterday's game means very little if it is only a one-off.

No more wasted matches or minutes now. However well we do this season, let's make this attitude of 'never knowing when we're beaten' whatever the score, situation or opponents a cornerstone of our characterisation again. Good things will happen and the fans will love them even more for it. :comeonkiddy:
Good post that!!!! Completely agree. I think the players will take it on board as a bit of a turning point.

You sound more like the flashing blade though. Whoever he was

:rolllaugh:

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:28 pm

A big like for Flasheart, :like: :like: :like: :like: :like:

The voice of common sense as ever Sam

Outside Right
Youth team
Youth team

Post by Outside Right » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:06 pm

Paul wrote:Why?

Because he has proved that he is quite capable of producing an alternative game plan as and when required and that people, such as yourself, who are waiting in the wings with their sharpened knives, will have to wait a little while longer for their anticipated perverse enjoyment.
my comments on here were caveated with for the first time this season after an on the whole flat strike force GW brought Gash on to play with Blissett . I would have thought that it was obvious that that strike pair would be more effective and cause defences more problems than Gash and Styche, Styche and Reid or Gash and Reid certainly more than Styche and Blissett or the Blissett and Reid pairing that GW selected as starting. More I questioned after quite a run of games what Reid had done to merit selection, I also questioned the lack of balance and width by playing a lopsided 4-4-2. That Obeng was brought on in 60 and provided more width than MJ who tends to come inside, I have no doubt was the turning point of the game with Barnet switched off thinking the 3 points were in the bag, Managers often get too close and can not see the wood from the trees in the pressure of gaining results.

I have no doubt that GW is doing his best, got a lot of time for a manager giving his signings like Reid and Obeng time to settle, a lot of time for GW ensuring a tight defence, though the full backs have not been able to provide outlets wide in the midfield. I note that young Green did just that in the Altrincham game to good effect.

We have despite a small squad a quality squad that really should be a good 6 points further up the table with a slightly different team selection and style of play. That is my opinion,

Hopefully, the management has learned from the previous lacklustre performances including the first half of this game, and that the changes made at half time in set up will lead to more consistency, a more entertaining and successful season's campaign.

TJU'S
1st team
1st team

Post by TJU'S » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Flashheart wrote:Listening to the game on the radio, it sounded like Barnet got complacent and gifted us a draw. The 3 goals appeared to come from nowhere and the ironic thing is once we got the second and third goals, we were unlucky not to go on and win the game. Which proves why you should never give up. To come from 3 goals down at HT to draw 3-3 away at current league leaders, albeit ones in a slightly false position in my opinion (they won't win the league) is a superlative effort and shows our tags of 'comeback kings' from a couple of years ago hasn't disappeared.

ABSOLUTELEY FLASH HEART

Zorro
1st team
1st team

Post by Zorro » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:26 pm

pb12345 wrote: You sound more like the flashing blade though. Whoever he was

:rolllaugh:
It is I - Leclerc

You've got to fight for what you want, for all that you believe
You've got to fight for what you want, to live the way you please

As long as you have done your best then no-one can do more