Reece Styche
No votes

Total votes: 5

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: 18-10-14 Halifax (A)

Post by redandwhitemike » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:11 am

garthrockett wrote:Apparently Josh Gowling is out for a few games, so Grimes will be in at the back.

A probable Verma/Byrne/Gittings/Johnson midfield in that case Saturday, with Obeng on for 30 mins second half.
Bad news about Josh.

I can see Harriers being over run in the middle with that set up.

I would definitely give Green a go in the middle, maybe GW will also. :wink:

It will concentrate minds as to the lack of quality in that department, not that anything can be done about it. :crying:
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Colgofray
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Colgofray » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:58 am

"....apparently Josh Gowling is out for a few games....."

Out of interest, where do you guys pick this info up? I daresay you're correct, but there's no mention on the Official Site (no surprise there!) or any other source I can find. Although I rate Grimes at CB, Growler's absence (if correct) will be a blow. :sad:

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:07 am

Out of interest, where do you guys pick this info up? I daresay you're correct, but there's no mention on the Official Site (no surprise there!) or any other source I can find.
Its from the Kidderminster Shuttle, a free rag that what these days passes as a local newspaper :grin:

http://www.kidderminstershuttle.co.uk/sport/harriers/news/11537575.Whild_wants_contract_for_Nicholson/?ref=rss

Quote: "Kyle Storer will miss Saturday’s clash at the Shay Stadium because of a one-match suspension, after picking up five yellow cards.
Player/coach Josh Gowling is also set for a spell on the sidelines, as he recovers from a shoulder injury, which will see Jamie Grimes slot into central defence.
“Josh has hurt his shoulder and this kind of injury has an affect on a lot of other things, so he’s going to be out for a little while,” said Whild.
“He’s a fit lad so we’ll assess it next week. Luckily we’ve got Jamie, who played well against Barnet.”
"
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

Colgofray
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Colgofray » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:12 am

Thanks for that Garth. Very disappointing, and with both Josh and Kyle Storer out of Saturday's game at Halifax it'll make the game that much harder. Losing both guys removes a lot of experience and competitiveness from our line up. :sad: I also notice Richard Penikett is likely to be amongst their starters.

Colgofray
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Colgofray » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:51 am

According to the Prediction Leaguesters, tomorrow's game at Halifax looks like being a close run thing, but all predictions were made before we knew we were going to be without Growler and Stoz.
7 are going for a Harriers win, :grin: 11 for the draw, with a further 8 opting for a Halifax win. :sad: Gashie remains the favourite to net our first goal.

:red_army: :comeonharriers2: :red_army:
Last edited by Colgofray on Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hagley Harrier
Youth team
Youth team

Post by Hagley Harrier » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:11 am

Who will captain the team in both Growler and Storer's absence? Personally would go for Nicolson with his experience, although no idea if he has ever been a captain before?

Looking forward to this one after being there to witness the second half turn around at Barnet - hopefully start were we left off last Saturday and take the game to them rather than just sitting back for the 0-0.

Colgofray
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Colgofray » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:26 am

Hagley Harrier wrote:Who will captain the team in both Growler and Storer's absence? Personally would go for Nicolson with his experience, although no idea if he has ever been a captain before?

Looking forward to this one after being there to witness the second half turn around at Barnet - hopefully start were we left off last Saturday and take the game to them rather than just sitting back for the 0-0.
Agree - Nicholson for me too. :grin:

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:34 pm

Colgofray wrote:
Hagley Harrier wrote:Who will captain the team in both Growler and Storer's absence? Personally would go for Nicolson with his experience, although no idea if he has ever been a captain before?

Agree - Nicholson for me too. :grin:

It will be one of GW's favourites.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lewis or Byrne perhaps??
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Colgofray
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Colgofray » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:42 pm

Lewis???? You can't be serious Mike? He hasn't the confidence to command his own 6 yard box never mind the rest of the team. As for Byrne, well, he certainly wouldn't even make my starting line-up. However, you could well be right suggesting him, for as you say, he is one of GW's favourites.

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:11 pm

Lewis???? You can't be serious Mike? He hasn't the confidence to command his own 6 yard box never mind the rest of the team. As for Byrne, well, he certainly wouldn't even make my starting line-up. However, you could well be right suggesting him, for as you say, he is one of GW's favourites.
I couldn't care less who's team captain- anyone who knows the difference between heads and tails will do. ( rules out one or two I know.....)

getting the three points are the important thing
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

Colgofray
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Colgofray » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:24 pm

"...I couldn't care less who's team captain- anyone who knows the difference between heads and tails will do."

Plus.... someone who doesn't constantly booked for dissent!

Sorry Garth, have to disagree with you on this one. A captain needs to be able to demonstrate leadership qualities on the pitch whether that's via performance alone, vocal direction and/or organisational ability. I could add one or two additional qualities, but that would open up enough dialogue for a new thread. IMO, just performance alone isn't enough.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:07 pm

Colgofray wrote:Lewis???? You can't be serious Mike? He hasn't the confidence to command his own 6 yard box never mind the rest of the team. As for Byrne, well, he certainly wouldn't even make my starting line-up. However, you could well be right suggesting him, for as you say, he is one of GW's favourites.

The clue was in the phrasing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, perhaps??

Team selection does sometimes smack of 'pin sticking' so I just naturally assumed that might be the case with who get's the armband,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, maybe they will put all the names in a hat - :comeonkiddy:

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:50 pm

Sorry Garth, have to disagree with you on this one. A captain needs to be able to demonstrate leadership qualities on the pitch whether that's via performance alone, vocal direction and/or organisational ability.
Indeed so - it is a long time since Keith Briggs demonstrated what a Captain can bring to a game.

Mystic
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Mystic » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:19 pm

pershoreharrier wrote:
Sorry Garth, have to disagree with you on this one. A captain needs to be able to demonstrate leadership qualities on the pitch whether that's via performance alone, vocal direction and/or organisational ability.
Indeed so - it is a long time since Keith Briggs demonstrated what a Captain can bring to a game.

Terrible shooting from distance??

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:34 pm

Mystic wrote:
pershoreharrier wrote:

Terrible shooting from distance??

OK we all have our weaknesses but at Conference level Briggs as a Club Captain stood out as a leader on the pitch - well he did for me anyway - a top man.

As to current encumbants - cannot say Mr Gowling is noted for his shooting from any distance and as for Mr Storer not exactly from the Bobby Charlton school of midfield distance shooting but occasionally he gets it right and enough times to always encourage the optimistic to think this could be it. But then there was always only one Danny Williams.