Callum Gittings
No votes

Total votes: 31

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: MotM: 01-11-14 Torquay (H)

Post by garthrockett » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:20 pm

One of the few times I actually get to go to a game living in Scotland. Apparently I caught one of the better performances of the season...

A few thoughts. Marvin had a cracker. His early goal was an absolute top corner screamer and he was a thorn in Torquay's side all afternoon. Robinson was excellent in midfield - read the game well, looked completely composed in possession, exactly the player we seem to have been lacking. Even though Obeng is still raw it was great to see Whild start with two wingers. For 75 minutes we were in total control and we probably could/should have been three of four up.

Whild then tried to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory with HORRENDOUS substitutions. Robinson was taken off, Verma coming on and floating around for fifteen minutes alongside a tiring Byrne, the result of which was we totally lost control of the midfield. Obeng and Johnson were then both withdrawn, leaving us no out ball and no pace down the wings. The inevitable happened - we invited Torquay on to us and they got one back. We defended deeper and deeper with 11 players in the penalty area and were lucky to come out with the three points that had seemed so dead cert for most of the game.

Overall an entertaining game and we were much better than I expected. But Whild's complete tactical hopelessness is a massive worry.

:like: This....the game in a nutshell.

can I only add - can we sign the Pearl of Africa band for the rest of the season? :grin:
added to the atmosphere and my lad said -listening on Millerman the radio- it sounded like we were playing in front of 30,000 somewhere in Brazil!!!.
A big boo to the stadium jobsworth who made them, and the associated Harriers fans whod congregated with them, disperse. Still, we're not there to have fun are we?
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

DownTheLine
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by DownTheLine » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:31 pm

garthrockett wrote:
One of the few times I actually get to go to a game living in Scotland. Apparently I caught one of the better performances of the season...

A few thoughts. Marvin had a cracker. His early goal was an absolute top corner screamer and he was a thorn in Torquay's side all afternoon. Robinson was excellent in midfield - read the game well, looked completely composed in possession, exactly the player we seem to have been lacking. Even though Obeng is still raw it was great to see Whild start with two wingers. For 75 minutes we were in total control and we probably could/should have been three of four up.

Whild then tried to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory with HORRENDOUS substitutions. Robinson was taken off, Verma coming on and floating around for fifteen minutes alongside a tiring Byrne, the result of which was we totally lost control of the midfield. Obeng and Johnson were then both withdrawn, leaving us no out ball and no pace down the wings. The inevitable happened - we invited Torquay on to us and they got one back. We defended deeper and deeper with 11 players in the penalty area and were lucky to come out with the three points that had seemed so dead cert for most of the game.

Overall an entertaining game and we were much better than I expected. But Whild's complete tactical hopelessness is a massive worry.

can I only add - can we sign the Pearl of Africa band for the rest of the season? :grin:
added to the atmosphere and my lad said -listening on Millerman the radio- it sounded like we were playing in front of 30,000 somewhere in Brazil!!!.
A big boo to the stadium jobsworth who made them, and the associated Harriers fans whod congregated with them, disperse. Still, we're not there to have fun are we?
Yeah a big boo to the club trying to maintain compliance with their legal obligation with regards to crowd safety etc.....
Not to mention all those people allowed just to waltz from the North stand into the, more expensive ticket wise, Main stand.
If people want to stand and dance about at a match, there is a place where you can do that perfectly legally......and it isn't in the seated area of a ground where you block the view of those trying to watch the game.....

Jackygold55
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Jackygold55 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:34 pm

DonutUK wrote:
garthrockett wrote:

Yeah a big boo to the club trying to maintain compliance with their legal obligation with regards to crowd safety etc.....
Not to mention all those people allowed just to waltz from the North stand into the, more expensive ticket wise, Main stand.
If people want to stand and dance about at a match, there is a place where you can do that perfectly legally......and it isn't in the seated area of a ground where you block the view of those trying to watch the game.....
Think people will have different opinions on this, alot of people enjoyed and embraced it, alot didn't really like it. I prefer the atmosphere to be up at all home games, but... i don't know, it really was very weird.

Thought that was one of our better performances this year, which was nearly ruined by the last 15 minutes or so. Nevertheless, take the first 75 minutes and apply that to our next game.

Also to point out, we are still missing Josh Gowling, easily our best player due to his co-ordination of our back line. At times today, we did look slightly dodgy.

But anyway, enough with the negatives, a brilliant result and can't wait for the next game!

Krasnyi
1st team
1st team

Post by Krasnyi » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:57 pm

Unfair comments about the substitutions I feel. Robinson was excellent, an absolute joy to watch but I'm guessing he's not match-fit and he did appear to be flagging, Obeng appeared to have taken a knock and Johnson appeared to have cramp and was motioning to the bench that he needed to come off.

Sorely tempted to give it a miss today but my kids, bless 'em, persuaded me. Best performance I've seen this season. Worried to find we were without Gowling, Storer and Gash but then came the performance! Has GW been to Damascus this week? Certainly seemed to have had a conversion. Far more attacking, full-backs pushing forward, spending as much time in the opposition's half as their own, Obeng and Marv terrorising their full-backs and Robinson hugely impressive in the centre of midfield. Wow! Considering this guy only arrived on Friday he settled so quickly, composed on the ball, instinctively knew where to find his new team-mates and can actually pass a ball with some accuracy! Reid and Byrne raised their games too and the strikers had more than just scraps to feed off for he first time in weeks. My only concern was that a better team than Torquay might have caused us problems with our full-backs pushed forward so much.

Any of the three substitutees could have been made MOTM.

As long as we have Robinson I can't see how Storer will get a game.

And I thought the African singers and dancers were great value too!

Definitely the happiest I've been after a match this season.

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:05 pm

Aw pleeeeze......you're another one who'd enter a room and suck the joy out of it in 30 seconds flat........ :cool:
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

Badger
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Badger » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:27 pm

A much much better performance, really like the new loan signing, he certainly reads the game, thought GW got the subs right today , had to bring on Verma for the new lad ,due to his unfair booking and the constant moaning at the ref by their number 9. Marv and obeng were clearly tired, Marv had cramp so could not leave him on, Obenge was getting pushed off the ball, glad to see Green get a run.

Did not like the last 10 mins, when we defened to deep , we can't do it

For me MOM was Jarrid but understand why Marv got the call.

Well done lads enjoyed the match to day.

:red_army:
"Have more than you show, speak less than you know." - Shakespeare

The White Snowman
1st team
1st team

Post by The White Snowman » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:45 pm

Play offs very much still a realistic target

Bigfoot
1st team
1st team

Post by Bigfoot » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:12 pm

Well that was great for 75 mins but the late pressure made it tense. We could easily have been 4 up. Blissett had a good headed chance.

That 75 mins is much better than the 45 good mins we played against Barnet and Halfax.
Robinson will be good for us while he is here and shows what we need.

It was great to see two wingers starting the game. Long may it continue.

Roll on Aldershot.

TJU'S
1st team
1st team

Post by TJU'S » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:31 pm

Much better today but we still like to make things difficult for ourselves by defending to deep in the last 15 minutes. The substitutions again were a cause for concern by taking off both wide players off allowed the game to condense and gave us no out ball. Impressed with Matt Robinson he seemed to give us more authority in midfield. the African band were good perhaps their drummer could give ours a few lessons

P.Underwood
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by P.Underwood » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:42 pm

DonutUK wrote:
garthrockett wrote:

Stop brown nosing the club just because you got told off by the club management for talking rubbish on these forums like normal :rolllaugh:

Outside Right
Youth team
Youth team

Post by Outside Right » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:14 am

Best first half display since Altrincham, much better balance to the side. Yes last 15 minutes were tense. The new midfielder did well, a lot of positives, Onwards and upwards

spitalfields
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by spitalfields » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:38 am

Much, much better. Rode our luck a bit at the back a few times, and the last 15 got desperate but we actually looked like a football team again.

I still find Marvin deeply frustrating. Superb goal, worked hard, but decision making still the stuff of a 5 aside kick about. His pathetic second half attempt at a wonder goal when he had the time and space to bring the ball down and put the game beyond doubt means I can't comprehend his man of the match status. Fortunately it didn't matter, but it's exactly the sort of thing that makes the difference between a player with potential and a successful player.

The substitutions once again proved troublesome, but on this occasion I believe were forced. I was concerned listening to KN's interview afterwards saying how he needs to win over the fans. You have done Nicho.

auspice
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by auspice » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:14 am

Obviously 3 points keeps people happy, but in truth the game was rather low on quality. Torquay were one of the worst sides seen so far until we backed off so much in the last 15 minutes and almost handed them an undeserved draw. Brilliant stop from Danny Lewis in injury time was virtually his only save of the game.

Defence did a good job again with Hodgkiss the pick and Grimes excellent in the air, although one or two very dodgy moments on the ground that might have been punished by better forwards.

Very impressed by Robinson, particularly considering he has only just arrived and has had limited game time for Luton. Johnson very good first half with a superb goal and forced Torquay manager Chris Hargreaves to take off the right back at HT. However, second half the other side of Marvin with wild deliveries and poor decision making, particularly when he decided to blast the ball down to the Severn Valley Railway rather than dink it over the stranded keeper into an empty net.

Once Robinson was surprisingly subbed (notwithstanding his yellow card), our midfield disappeared. Don't recall Verma doing anything at all and surely a lively Gittings would be a better option with Byrne flagging as usual.

Felt sorry for Blissett again who was unlucky not to score with a good header 2nd half. He must get dizzy and exhausted constantly looking skywards for hopeful balls launched aimlessly in his general direction. Reid gives the appearance of running around enthusiastically but seems to avoid getting involved in any genuine skirmishes. The one or two bright flashes of skill he showed were immediately undone by his lack of pace and power.

Better than recent performances - but that's not saying a lot really.

HarrierN2
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by HarrierN2 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:18 am

Blissett nearly scoring in the second half came from one of MJ's "wild deliveries". It was a killer ball in from the left.

Krasnyi
1st team
1st team

Post by Krasnyi » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:46 am

Surely with Johnson you have to accept the inconsistencies? Wouldn't be playing at this level if he was the full package. For every jinking run and sublime finish you get a hurried volley over the roof.

Still think it was a massively improved and much more attack-minded performance yesterday but Torquay were pretty dreadful. Just the wrong time for an enforced weekend off, ideally we'd be building on this as soon as possible.