Reece Hales
No votes

Total votes: 24

Krasnyi
1st team
1st team

Re: 02-12-14 Nuneaton (H)

Post by Krasnyi » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:38 pm

They've got more confidence than I have! Looking forward to that pie though.

The White Snowman
1st team
1st team

Re: 02-12-14 Nuneaton (H)

Post by The White Snowman » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:59 pm

NUNEATON'S AWAY FORM IS P11, D1, L10!!!

We have to win this game :wall:

Wrap up warm folks, its cold outside already!!

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: MotM: 02-12-14 Nuneaton (H)

Post by garthrockett » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:00 am

Wow.
Interesting that GW's 'plan C' in a 4-5-1 formation ( or to be pedantic 4-4-1-1 with Verma in the hole) should have produced such an attacking, high-tempo and entertaining game.

I thought the aforementioned Verma looked imperious just tucked in behind Reid (who was industrious as ever) and had his best game in a harriers shirt.
The Marvin Johnson outlet down the flanks caused the opposition problems all night and the Storer/Byrne duo had a veritable stormer, for once having options to choose from in the centre (understandable given the 5 midfielders) rather than continually looking for the instant release to a big target man.
My only concern was the open areas of midfield whenever a Harriers attack broke down. With Gitto, Marvo and Verma supporting the sole striker it was hard for Bryne and Storer to cover all bases should a counter-attack develop, and against slicker opposition we might have had trouble in containment.
Nothing that a good session on the training ground shouldn't solve though.
I'd still like to see MJ played more central, he got free numerous times but too wide to capitalize, but its a moot point.
Nuneaton were woeful; I'd like them to stop up (with Telford our derby game and all) but on that showing I cant see any hope. All those who continually bemoan the loss of Lee Fowler should be sent a DVD of the match last night; ineffective, unfit, and uncommitted.

-and I hope all those dedicated fans who couldn't be bothered to turn up are suitably chastened...... :roll:
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:04 am

Goodness me - Nuneaton were a poor team last night and if that is representative of their play and form no wonder they have problems.

However, 3 points for us in our march to the 50 point safety mark and I doubt we will have a more comfortable game all season.

I take it Robinson has gone back to Luton with the appearance of Storer who did not look fully fit but was not overly pushed by the opponents. 10 days or so rest now for him so that should help.

Hales was unlucky not to score missing connecting with couple of cross box passes. It will be interesting to see his reaction to getting his first for us as it will surely boost his confidence which looks good anyway. Perhaps he can do it a BPA.

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:56 am

Thank goodness it was a lively game. I could see Aggborough being empty before the end otherwise. Where are my long johns?

The game showed we can play if we are allowed to. Hopefully the confidence will spread to games against better teams.

You can talk tactics and formations ad infinitum. But, in possession, you just need players to run and support and move and pass. And play with confidence. Easy to say, not so easy to do.

Agree re Verma, Fowler. What happened to Gitto? Started very well. Then went to bits. I won't criticise him though because he can't be match fit or match ready.
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

Jonkers
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Jonkers » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:57 am

Much better without a big tall forward kept the ball on the ground where it should be. I thought Reid had his best game for a while,hope his goal will restore his confidence. Marvin had the beating of the defence all night long, I am afraid if he keeps up this form he will go in January. Well done to GW & MC although Nuneaton were poor.
I was told at the game last night that we go £90,000 for Blissett I find that hard to believe probably to many noughts.

PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:59 am

Jonkers wrote:Much better without a big tall forward kept the ball on the ground where it should be. I thought Reid had his best game for a while,hope his goal will restore his confidence. Marvin had the beating of the defence all night long, I am afraid if he keeps up this form he will go in January. Well done to GW & MC although Nuneaton were poor.
I was told at the game last night that we go £90,000 for Blissett I find that hard to believe probably to many noughts.
it's the highest fee Bristol Rovers have paid for years so is probably right.

Colgofray
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Colgofray » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:23 am

At the end of the day you can only beat what's in front of you and Harriers certainly did that last night. Often playing with a fair degree of flair and style, the boys in red threatened throughout the game rather than just in fits and starts. Yes, Nuneaton were the weakest side I've seen up at Aggy for some time and look destined for the drop.
For me, although no-one had a poor game, the stand-out players for me were - Johnson, Verma, Reid and Hodgkiss, though IMO, Jack Byrne also had his best game for ages. We scored 3 but could have tripled that with 22 goal attempts and 10 on target. I was also very impressed with the late cameo appearance of young Hales who shows much promise. However, I do share the concerns of others in-so-much-as we are in great danger of having to sell Marvin come the January transfer window. Now that would be a bitter blow. :sad:

Tamworth Harrier
1st team
1st team

Post by Tamworth Harrier » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:55 am

Just point on Verma. How good is he in the air. Won more headers in one game than Blissett won all season. £90000 for Blisset? Wow if thats true its got to be the deal of the year.

sbird27
Youth team
Youth team

Post by sbird27 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:10 pm

Agreed you can only beat what is in front of you. Was a little disapointed we let them have thier 15/20 min after half time as they posed no threat for the first 45 at all. Although responded well to the own goal and pushed for a foruth which was nice to see. Verma and Marv stand out players although though everyone had a good game. Really pleased for Reid and his goal took it well, he always puts in 110% effort and i would like to see him kick on now as i feel he could go on a little run now. Also heard Blissett fee was 90k from a few different people and Chey was 50k. I just hope we see decent money when Marv goes,this season he has been a class above any winger i have seen. People rave about Nielson at Grimsby and Marsh-Brown at Barnet but for me Marv's a level above,starting to show more to his all round game with his new found attitude. Jan and he is gone simple as that,just hope we have a release clause fee in his contract.Hales come on and done well again could prove a decent addition. Some wheeling and dealing needs to be done and a couple of gems unearthed in Jan though to keep us in top half of the table. Just a shame no game after that performace for 10 days

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:10 pm

Just a shame no game after that performace for 10 days
Wednesday 10th December
FA Youth Cup ( the last 32)
KHFC versus Blackpool KO at 7pm
£5 to get in !!!!

:red_army: :player: :khfc: :scarf: :flag:
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

TJU'S
1st team
1st team

Post by TJU'S » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:58 pm

Everyone again put in a good shift Nuneaton were poor and 3-1 flattered them Marvin scared the hell out of them and without some last ditch defending and good goalkeeping especially in the first half it could have been embarrassing. Still a concern though is the passion for defending to deep 2nd half

TJU'S
1st team
1st team

Post by TJU'S » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:02 pm

If we do get 90k for Blissett that would be amazing but who would trouser that

Harry Aire
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harry Aire » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Agree with Tamworth about Verma in the air. Outstanding. And as someone who has been critical of him in the past,I must say I thought he was superb last night. The combination play between him, Jack, Kyle and Marvin was excellent at times and I would argue our third goal was our best so far because it didn't involve a startling flash of individual skill but a whole team effort with accurate passing leaving Jack with a tap in. Nuneaton were poor but often we descend to the level of the opposition. Last night we didn't.

Their goal followed a blatant shirt-pulling foul which the ref chose to ignore though he was looking straight at it. Incredible.

pricey5
1st team
1st team

Post by pricey5 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:40 am

PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA wrote:
Jonkers wrote:Much better without a big tall forward kept the ball on the ground where it should be. I thought Reid had his best game for a while,hope his goal will restore his confidence. Marvin had the beating of the defence all night long, I am afraid if he keeps up this form he will go in January. Well done to GW & MC although Nuneaton were poor.
it's the highest fee Bristol Rovers have paid for years so is probably right.
Like I said on the other thread, even if we didn't need the money I think we'd have accepted that bid anyway, crazy offer.