George Obosu
No votes

Total votes: 24

Swansea Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Re: MOTM: 14-11-15 Aldershot (H)

Post by Swansea Harrier » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:06 pm

I think a lot of the hard work was put in during the first half. Coming off a disappointing result and performance at Chester, we were up against a confident Shots side on a good run, particularly away from home. Bar the free header they really should have scored from, we limited them, created a good few chances ourselves and importantly battled. Could have kept the ball better to be fair.

Second half we started really well, and then got the goal we deserved - really fine play from Murphy to lay it on a plate for McQuilkin (who did better than I expected after his surprise inclusion).

Boy did that goal change the game. I think Aldershot panicked, started frantically chasing an equaliser, leaving so much more space for the likes of Murphy, Whitfield and McQuilkin (none of which was there when the game was goalless. Players like Fazlic came into the game far more.

Fabulous finish from Whitfield for number two, and made both their centre backs look like mugs too. Cue comedy strop from Luke Oliver when he got subbed shortly after.

What was most pleasing thereafter was the realisation that we needed to slow a frantic game down and take the sting out of the game. Yes Aldershot had a few chances and kept coming, but in the end they ran out of ideas.

Great to get a clean sheet too. There seemed a real togetherness among the players too.

Bit harsh of Aldershot's fans to boo their players at the end - they weren't that bad and I've seen far worse teams at Aggborough.

It's a pity some of our fans are still intent on picking fault - one guy sat in the East Stand spent the whole first half knocking everything we did. Matt Young must have been relieved to switch to the other flank after half time judging how every bit of his positioning was being (wrongly) criticised. Yes fans gave a right to an opinion and to criticise, but fir goodness sake get behind your team in such a tight game.

Hartleburyharrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Hartleburyharrier » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:34 pm

Swansea Harrier wrote:I think a lot of the hard work was put in during the first half. Coming off a disappointing result and performance at Chester, we were up against a confident Shots side on a good run, particularly away from home. Bar the free header they really should have scored from, we limited them, created a good few chances ourselves and importantly battled. Could have kept the ball better to be fair.

Second half we started really well, and then got the goal we deserved - really fine play from Murphy to lay it on a plate for McQuilkin (who did better than I expected after his surprise inclusion).

Boy did that goal change the game. I think Aldershot panicked, started frantically chasing an equaliser, leaving so much more space for the likes of Murphy, Whitfield and McQuilkin (none of which was there when the game was goalless. Players like Fazlic came into the game far more.

Fabulous finish from Whitfield for number two, and made both their centre backs look like mugs too. Cue comedy strop from Luke Oliver when he got subbed shortly after.

What was most pleasing thereafter was the realisation that we needed to slow a frantic game down and take the sting out of the game. Yes Aldershot had a few chances and kept coming, but in the end they ran out of ideas.

Great to get a clean sheet too. There seemed a real togetherness among the players too.

Bit harsh of Aldershot's fans to boo their players at the end - they weren't that bad and I've seen far worse teams at Aggborough.

It's a pity some of our fans are still intent on picking fault - one guy sat in the East Stand spent the whole first half knocking everything we did. Matt Young must have been relieved to switch to the other flank after half time judging how every bit of his positioning was being (wrongly) criticised. Yes fans gave a right to an opinion and to criticise, but fir goodness sake get behind your team in such a tight game.

If it's the same bloke that I'm thinking of, he does that every single home game, nobody takes any notice, he's a pratt. Good post BTW.

Zorro
1st team
1st team

Post by Zorro » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:37 pm

First half was very tedious and rather uneventful. One shot on goal from Aldershot and that was it all half. We tried aerial balls but because Quilks, Smurph and June are of diminutive frame, it was futile.

In the second half, instead, our front line realised that they could vastly outpace the Aldershot back line and we took advantage.

For the first 20 minutes of the second half the Shots were chasing shadows and we quite rightly capitalised with two good pieces of play. Great composure and space awareness from Smurph and Quilks and a high quality finish from June (Whitfield). Bet Terry was chuffed.

:) :red_army:

Tamworth Harrier
1st team
1st team

Post by Tamworth Harrier » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:42 pm

I know most of you may faint when you read this but I thought today we were superb. Effort first class with no shortage of skill. My first view of fazlic thought he was a class above never gave the ball all game. Just compare him to Clarke. Special mention to Maxwell gonna be some player and hodgekiss who looked more like his old self.

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:45 pm

Badger
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Badger » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:00 pm

Swansea Harrier wrote:I

Sadly you are so right, but careful saying things like that on here, don't you know that CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM is the only way forward, sod getting behind the team.

Still there will be something else to moan about I am sure.

:yay:
:red_army:
"Have more than you show, speak less than you know." - Shakespeare

Aggborough_Pie
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Aggborough_Pie » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:54 pm

First game this season that we thoroughly deserved to win. 100% effort from everyone today, can't fault any of them or say that they had a 'bad game'. It's also the first time that we have played as a team, and shown composure and confidence when we were ahead which helped us see out the game. Brilliant change of tactic at half time by the Hock, we utilised the pace of Murphy much better in the second half whereas we were booting the ball up to him throughout the first half - when he's being marked by 6 ft 7 Luke Oliver he has no chance!

As for Aldershot, they looked even more scared than us and panicked when we scored our first goal by throwing too many bodies forward, allowing us to hit them in the counter for the second.

Quick side note, I'm sure everyone in the East Stand noticed the man precariously stood on the top of Main Stand pre match - I'm sure there were no health and safety officers in the stadium as they would have had a field day! Although when it became clear why he was up there it added something extra to the rememberence, which was top notch BTW.

Gman
Subs bench
Subs bench

Re: 14-11-15 Aldershot (H)

Post by Gman » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:35 pm

DownTheLine wrote:
Gman wrote:Fantastic result! 6 points from safety now :red_army:
Apart from the fact that the teams around us have games in hand....
If Southport win the games in hand we would be 7 points from safety. The other teams would remain in the same position.

ograzebrook
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by ograzebrook » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:45 pm

What a good goal.

I'm convinced we'll stay up.

sprials
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by sprials » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:21 pm

the second half was amazing, the team bonding, and the way the celebrated the goals

well done to all :comeonharriers2:
youth team....THE WAY FORWARD

grassroots is where it all starts, support it before it's too late

ograzebrook
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by ograzebrook » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:26 pm

Another very good attendance too. Well done to the fans.

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:56 pm

From the Shots forum:
To the Kidderminster players for today's victory - you thoroughly deserved the result through your energy, enthusiasm and desire. The 1562 home supporters must be very proud of you and if you can display that attitude for the rest of the season, then the team will soon rise up the table.

Also, well done to the 228 away supporters who braved the elements to find their way to Aggborough from all points of the compass - you deserve better, much better. Thanks for the company of those who made it to the Station Inn, which will feature very highly in the 'Away pub of the Year'. The two hours before the match were the highlights of the day. Apologies to those supporters who made the effort to turn up today on the basis of my optimistic match report from Southport - I'm sorry for misleading you.

Lastly, my commiserations to the 14 Aldershot players who failed to turn up - you could hardly blame those supporters who booed you at the end, after they had at least showed the passion and effort which we sadly didn't see on the field...we all expected much, much more. How can we expect the missing fans to return to the EBB when the players showed nothing to encourage them? I hope lessons have been learnt and, If the players commit themselves to the same attitude as Kiddy's today, I will be behind them all the way at Bradford.

HarrierN2
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by HarrierN2 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:19 am

Lolley-esque finish from Whitfield. Superb!

spitalfields
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by spitalfields » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:38 am

Aldershot were poor, presumably with minds on other things. But we actually looked like a team. Change in tactics at half time were sensible and I expect planned based on weather conditions and wind direction. A touch of panic towards the end but the new found luxury of a two goal lead gave a very different atmosphere. Just hope we can keep some squad continuity.

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:49 pm

Valuble three points..... and things are finally coming together slowly.

Fazlic was superb; watch him next match - I dont know how good his English is, but its seems good enough to constantly verbally marshal the midfield (especially Maxwell) all through the match....The Bosnian beckoning him forward, dropping them back collectively as a line when defending. Undemonstrative but highly influential.
Hope Young's substitution was a precaution. He is starting to get a decent understanding with Angol regarding mutual support, though the winger did tend to drift inside a mite too often.

With the unavailability of MBH I was concerned about the formation: A team of midgets , Whitfield in the hole and Murphy is no target man.
Second half they seemed to adapt for the absence of a burly frontman and one wonders if Hockaday had been in charge at the start of the season with Styche etc if the team would have been set up as such in August and we wouldnt be in this mess. McQuilkin is a better player than amny give him credit for, gave the flank a bit of zest. For the 10 minutes he was on I liked the look of Obosu too -might be a good impact sub in the coming months.

Anyone see what prompted Brodie to have a go at Maxwell at the end? Miller man went ballistic..... :shock:
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022