Evan Garnett
No votes

Total votes: 2

Zorro
1st team
1st team

Re: MotM: 30-01-16 Aldershot (A)

Post by Zorro » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:49 pm

Must say with Dawson back and the perceived quality of the midfield and IF GORDON PLAYS TWO UP FRONT (any 2 from Patrick, Gaz and Alfie) then I think we have a chance of actually competing in this league. But we do need to play a proper 4 -4 - (f****n) 2

Let's hope he sees sense.

:wave:

Gman
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Gman » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:08 pm

Zorro wrote:Must say with Dawson back and the perceived quality of the midfield and IF GORDON PLAYS TWO UP FRONT (any 2 from Patrick, Gaz and Alfie) then I think we have a chance of actually competing in this league. But we do need to play a proper 4 -4 - (f****n) 2

Let's hope he sees sense.

:wave:
Wow! Is that some renewed optimism I hear :D

A few of our players had a very good game, if we can keep the best of these for next season and build on that we will have a half decent squad. I agree re playing two up front... If we start scoring first and bring some renewed confidence to the team early on in a game it will make all the difference.

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:45 am

I made the right decision for me and did not go to this game. I have read the note from CG after the game where he wishes all Harriers supporters had gone to the game to see how good we were in the first 45 minutes. Sadly such a wish is of little or no comfort and for such dominance we had how many shots on target? Was their defence at continuous panic stations? Was their goal keeper the most active player for them?

No the right decision was to stay at home and not subject myself to watching more frustrating and baffling football. I can accept defeats - I don't like them but I can accept them. I do however, expect us to make every effort to win the game or if not score and make a game of it. We have a good striker on the bench who remains unused - frankly I find the whole thing totally and utterly baffling.

We go a goal down and bring on a defender.

I have pretty much stopped going to away games - it is just too much to suffer. I don't believe CG and RB really know how the supporters feel - if they did then we would be making far more effort to see the team were given the best chances to score goals by using our strikers to offer some threat. The point of dominating midfield and possession is to give your players the best opportunities to score goals.

My dark room awaits next Saturday before emerging into the daylight the following week to have the bright lights of reality shone into my eyes again.

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:03 am

I sense the appointment of an appropriate 'Head Coach' for next season becomes ever more critical.

...and if we line up against Eastleigh with a 5-4-1, I'm off to the pub early!!
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:06 am

pershoreharrier wrote:I made the right decision for me and did not go to this game. I have read the note from CG after the game where he wishes all Harriers supporters had gone to the game to see how good we were in the first 45 minutes. Sadly such a wish is of little or no comfort and for such dominance we had how many shots on target? Was their defence at continuous panic stations? Was their goal keeper the most active player for them?

No the right decision was to stay at home and not subject myself to watching more frustrating and baffling football. I can accept defeats - I don't like them but I can accept them. I do however, expect us to make every effort to win the game or if not score and make a game of it. We have a good striker on the bench who remains unused - frankly I find the whole thing totally and utterly baffling.

I have pretty much stopped going to away games - it is just too much to suffer. I don't believe CG and RB really know how the supporters feel - if they did then we would be making far more effort to see the team were given the best chances to score goals by using our strikers to offer some threat. The point of dominating midfield and possession is to give your players the best opportunities to score goals.

My dark room awaits next Saturday before emerging into the daylight the following week to have the bright lights of reality shone into my eyes again.
One of Aldershots central defenders was man of the match if that helps.

Gman
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Gman » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:40 am

"We go a goal down and bring on a defender"

I believe that was to push langmead up front? I could be wrong however.

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:45 am

Gman wrote:"We go a goal down and bring on a defender"

With the greatest respect for Kelvin Langmead who I jointly sponsor is he a better striker than one Gurjit Singh? Matter of opinion I suppose.

Mystic
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Mystic » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:04 pm

Have just read CG's comments talking about his "philosophy", which basically reads as "I like to play with 1 up front, but..."

Ignoring the fact he seems to be trying to emulate Brendan Rodgers with his proclamations I don't think we're going to see 4/4/2 anytime soon.

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:11 pm

Mystic wrote:Have just read CG's comments talking about his "philosophy", which basically reads as "I like to play with 1 up front, but..."

Ignoring the fact he seems to be trying to emulate Brendan Rodgers with his proclamations I don't think we're going to see 4/4/2 anytime soon.
I don't have a problem with philosophy but as with all things it is the test of a particular philosophy to deliver the objective.

I would suggest that the primary objective is to win football games in this particular (after all it is a results driven business) so if the philosophy is not delivering the primary objective it would seem reasonable to review the philosophy wouldn't it?

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:28 pm

pershoreharrier wrote:I made the right decision for me and did not go to this game. I have read the note from CG after the game where he wishes all Harriers supporters had gone to the game to see how good we were in the first 45 minutes. Sadly such a wish is of little or no comfort and for such dominance we had how many shots on target? Was their defence at continuous panic stations? Was their goal keeper the most active player for them?

Don't forget pershore, that CG ,,,,,,,''sees what we see'' -some might suggest that he visit a well known opticians in the not too distant future to get an upgrade - you never know he might be eligible for 2 for 1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :lol:

He certainly doesn't see the same game as me that's for sure.
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Gman
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Gman » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:08 pm

pershoreharrier wrote:

With the greatest respect for Kelvin Langmead who I jointly sponsor is he a better striker than one Gurjit Singh? Matter of opinion I suppose.
Simple answer is no. We are only losing by the odd goal, if we start scoring and registering points then the confidence will grow. Playing two young/hungry strikers up front such as Singh and Garnet could change everything. Combined with the improved midfield and defence. It's a no brainier isn't it?

Tamworth Harrier
1st team
1st team

Post by Tamworth Harrier » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:18 pm

Gman wrote:
pershoreharrier wrote:

Simple answer is no. We are only losing by the odd goal, if we start scoring and registering points then the confidence will grow. Playing two young/hungry strikers up front such as Singh and Garnet could change everything. Combined with the improved midfield and defence. It's a no brainier isn't it?
From what I have seen of Singh I do not think he is good enough for conference premier level. Think CG and Hockaday think/thought the same.

Gman
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Gman » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:28 pm

True. He hasn't really performed in the first team. Seems to have done well in the under 21s though. Have to see if any further signings come in.

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:37 pm

Tamworth Harrier wrote:
Gman wrote:
pershoreharrier wrote:

From what I have seen of Singh I do not think he is good enough for conference premier level. Think CG and Hockaday think/thought the same.
He's young, he's our top scorer and will only develop. Makes sense to play him and give him that chance to.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:44 pm

Tamworth Harrier wrote:
Gman wrote:
pershoreharrier wrote:

Maybe so Tamworth BUT are the alternatives which I cannot identify better? We have even tried playing with no strikers at all - for goodness sake.