Wrexham at home 19th September

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

TWG85
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Wrexham at home 19th September

Post by TWG85 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:12 pm

Ten minutes behind but a battering here second half. Wave after wave of attack with Harriers not offering much at all.

Simple simon
Youth team
Youth team

Post by Simple simon » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:29 pm

To much sideways football, lack of penetration and movement, Trail players not up too much and goalkeeper unfortunately don’t think good enough: Not much more to say but disappointed 😞

BobGreenwoodsDad
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by BobGreenwoodsDad » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:41 pm

I think that the trialist who came on to be right-sided centre back (and I think came on as the left-sided centre back against Bromsgrove) looked OK. I am becoming very concerned about Maxwell - looks off the pace and his passing is poor

TWG85
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by TWG85 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:45 pm

Not pretty at all.

I maintain first half I didn't think there was too much in it with Wrexham having perhaps two other attacks & Harriers most of the ball. One goal awful decision-making outta the blue & another a blatant foul on a set-piece. Second half though was a landslide with Wrexham too savvy & too street wise.

Harriers without Moyo & Montrose, Kellerman & Hemmings for half the game, not a lot for them. Hope it proves to be premature thinking, but already wishing the OSJ & young Martin money was spent on the defence. Incredibly, incredibly vulnerable.

Nice to be able to watch however.

TWG85
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by TWG85 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:25 pm

Medieval
1st team
1st team

Post by Medieval » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:48 pm

Kellerman looked good, otherwise disappointing.

aberred
1st team
1st team

Post by aberred » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:07 pm

Two more players to come in according to Russ. Hopefully over the next seven days or so.

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:41 am

aberred wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:07 pm
Two more players to come in according to Russ. Hopefully over the next seven days or so.
The calibre of these two signings could say a lot about how the season (if it starts and ends) pans out. If its "been released from an Academy in the last three years and has, at best, played a handful of games in non-league" or "season long loan from a league club" then perhaps we can expect more of the same at Aggborough. Feeling a little negative. Better that way. Don't get your hopes up.

spitalfields
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by spitalfields » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:40 pm

Sheffield Harrier wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:41 am
The calibre of these two signings could say a lot about how the season (if it starts and ends) pans out. If its "been released from an Academy in the last three years and has, at best, played a handful of games in non-league" or "season long loan from a league club" then perhaps we can expect more of the same at Aggborough. Feeling a little negative. Better that way. Don't get your hopes up.
Personally I feel more positive about "season long loan from a league club" than "experienced pro recovering from injury". A season long loan is a proper signing of a player with, more often than not, genuine potential to play at a higher level, without the disruption of short term loans. With our signing so far, we're needing youth and energy. Much more likely to get that with quality from season-long loans than with academy drop outs. And we're not in the market for proven players at their prime.

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:12 pm

A few thoughts:

The biggest takeaway from yesterday is that we need a goalkeeper. Tom Palmer is not and will never be first-choice material at this level for a club with promotion ambitions. Nice enough lad as I'm sure he is. Concerns me that the keeper on the bench yesterday is a youth team player. Doesn't bode well.

We defended pretty poorly and we didn't seem to create too much. Wrexham finished poorly last season, and to look at getting out of this division we need to be playing at that level. We had one or two good chances (AMS header to finish off a nice move), but to not score at home is always a misssed opportunity.

On the bright side, at least we seem to be playing proper football again, happy to keep and hold possession - but also willing to play a long pass out wide. Players still seem to be getting used to the system, I found it nigh-on impossible to work out what formation we were playing. The shape is poor and that won't help us defensively either.

I suspect we'll end up watching a lot of games using this next method this season. It'd be good to get a commentator to add to the coverage, as I found it particularly tough to work out who was who. Maybe just me. Certainly it would be a bonus if it ends up being a long term arrangement.

Still a long time to go yet, COYR. (When's the FA Cup draw?)
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:30 pm

spitalfields wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:40 pm
Sheffield Harrier wrote:
Personally I feel more positive about "season long loan from a league club" than "experienced pro recovering from injury". A season long loan is a proper signing of a player with, more often than not, genuine potential to play at a higher level, without the disruption of short term loans. With our signing so far, we're needing youth and energy. Much more likely to get that with quality from season-long loans than with academy drop outs. And we're not in the market for proven players at their prime.
Yes ok, potential pros and cons of different sorts of player. We've been crying out for more physicality and "know how" for a few seasons. Kellerman, Moyo, Montrose might provide some of this if they stay fit.......

Goalkeeper is vital - loan keeper? Had varied success last year with this approach. Is Brandon Hall fixed up?

aberred
1st team
1st team

Post by aberred » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:04 pm

I was basically told, two players hopefully sorted over the next seven days, but they have to be the right type. Penn is willing to wait for what's needed rather than rush for an unknown.
Injured players on the way back too.

spitalfields
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by spitalfields » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:23 pm

Sheffield Harrier wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:30 pm
spitalfields wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:40 pm
Sheffield Harrier wrote:
Yes ok, potential pros and cons of different sorts of player. We've been crying out for more physicality and "know how" for a few seasons. Kellerman, Moyo, Montrose might provide some of this if they stay fit.......

Goalkeeper is vital - loan keeper? Had varied success last year with this approach. Is Brandon Hall fixed up?
Agreed. Must say I am a bit concerned about Moyo's squad number and lack of appearances so far. Hopefully that's just me reading too much into the situation. And I also hope that the vacant No1 shirt is positive sign. Only time will tell.

TWG85
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by TWG85 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:07 am

harry211 wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:12 pm
A few thoughts:

The biggest takeaway from yesterday is that we need a goalkeeper. Tom Palmer is not and will never be first-choice material at this level for a club with promotion ambitions. Nice enough lad as I'm sure he is. Concerns me that the keeper on the bench yesterday is a youth team player. Doesn't bode well.

We defended pretty poorly and we didn't seem to create too much. Wrexham finished poorly last season, and to look at getting out of this division we need to be playing at that level. We had one or two good chances (AMS header to finish off a nice move), but to not score at home is always a missed opportunity.

On the bright side, at least we seem to be playing proper football again, happy to keep and hold possession - but also willing to play a long pass out wide. Players still seem to be getting used to the system, I found it nigh-on impossible to work out what formation we were playing. The shape is poor and that won't help us defensively either.

I suspect we'll end up watching a lot of games using this next method this season. It'd be good to get a commentator to add to the coverage, as I found it particularly tough to work out who was who. Maybe just me. Certainly it would be a bonus if it ends up being a long term arrangement.

Still a long time to go yet, COYR. (When's the FA Cup draw?)
First Half: 5-4-1/3-4-3 with the two wingers playing as Inside Forwards looking to come inside onto their strongest feet. i.e. how they played under Shan towards the end of last season, with Hemmings & Chambers playing off Samuels. In another of the pre-season friendlies it was Kellerman & Hemmings, left to float around behind AMS.

Second Half: 4-3-3/4-1-4-1 with a single holding midfielder.

Harrier1994
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harrier1994 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:14 am

aberred wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:04 pm
I was basically told, two players hopefully sorted over the next seven days, but they have to be the right type. Penn is willing to wait for what's needed rather than rush for an unknown.
Injured players on the way back too.
Not what I heard on Moyo, he could be out for a while.