Swansea City FA Cup Round 1 1989/90

All of the YouTube etc videos from Harriers games in here please.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

soupy
Subs bench
Subs bench

Swansea City FA Cup Round 1 1989/90

Post by soupy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:54 am

Well here's some footage i'd never viewed before - indeed I wasn't even aware we'd played them in the English version of the competition that season! Follow the link, and head to about 5.13 in...

Also interesting to note the state of the North and South Stands for the younger generations amongst us - had never seen any pictures of either end from this period until I watched the video, and its amazing how the Harriers' very own 'Kop End' still has the same feel as it has now - structurally, if not acoustically!
1018 Games and counting...
"Win the Senior Cup the most in the county...then we can start calling ourselves the pride of God’s own..."

mezzaKHFC
½ Million Man
½ Million Man

Post by mezzaKHFC » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:58 am

Looked a great game

Lord K
I've seen over a 1000 games so far
I've seen over a 1000 games so far

Post by Lord K » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:16 pm

I was ballboy! St Johns Tigers FC provided the ballboys that day and I was stood by the Swansea fans (you can see me after goal 1)!! :grin:

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:24 pm

I definitely remember going to this! How brilliant.

I never remember that the north end never had a roof - I clearly remember the south stand didn't have a roof for a while but didn't remember the north end didn't!

What a goal from Bancroft!

windsorharrier
1st team
1st team

Post by windsorharrier » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:34 pm

I'm pretty sure I was at that game too, although there was also a welsh cup game at some point that I might be getting mixed up with....my memory is not the best. Great footage though, nice to see the college in the background.
the conference's finest

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:45 pm

We absolutely hammered Swansea early in the 86 Welsh Cup run; IIRC 4-1 at home ; ex Spurs/Man City Tommy Hutchinson was player manager and he commented they were lucky it wasnt 10-1!! We knocked out Shrewsbury, Newport and Hereford that year ( their first teams were out too....the taffs had a Cup Winners' Cup place in Europe up for grabs so it was important to them!!)

We then played them at the Vetch Field a few years later in the Welsh Cup Final and lost 5-0....I recall ex Man U m/f Alan Davies had a blindeer for them....but had we won I doubt we'd have got out alive!!

steve555
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by steve555 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:30 pm

Look at the crowds! Kick offs delayed etc. Better days. :cry: Also the familiar sight of Steve Burr poaching a goal for Macc v Chester.

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:25 pm

Just saw the video hence me posting it up earlier only to find this was up. Superb goal by Bancroft and a nice free kick from Forsyth. Pity there aren't many video's about from this side.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

HarrierN2
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Swansea City FA Cup Round 1 1989/90

Post by HarrierN2 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:01 pm

I was at this one. Bancroft's goal was a screamer, great player.

Charlie Sheen

Re:

Post by Charlie Sheen » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:08 pm

garthrockett wrote:We absolutely hammered Swansea early in the 86 Welsh Cup run; IIRC 4-1 at home ; ex Spurs/Man City Tommy Hutchinson was player manager and he commented they were lucky it wasnt 10-1!! We knocked out Shrewsbury, Newport and Hereford that year ( their first teams were out too....the taffs had a Cup Winners' Cup place in Europe up for grabs so it was important to them!!)

We then played them at the Vetch Field a few years later in the Welsh Cup Final and lost 5-0....I recall ex Man U m/f Alan Davies had a blindeer for them....but had we won I doubt we'd have got out alive!!
I remember it well. And although it was a great run, the irony is we beat then-Championship (in modern day terms anyway) Shrewsbury, then-League One Newport and Swansea, but lost to fourth tier Wrexham!