harriers-online match report
Vs plymouth 
all that pressure and no goals.

The Reds unbeaten home run continued at Aggborough today in this thrilling but in the end disappointing 0-0 draw against a very defensive Plymouth.

Harriers started with a debut for their loan striker from Wolves, Colin Larkin, but surprisingly without a recognised strike partner along side him.
For some strange reason Jan had dropped Drewe Broughton to the bench and opted to play Dean Bennett with Larkin instead.

Also getting a first start of the season was Mark Shail replacing the injured Craig Hinton.

Right from the off we attacked Plymouth and we thought that it would only be a matter of minutes before the goals started rolling in. Shilton playing out wide as usual was running rings around the packed Argyle defence and raining crosses in, all it needed was the final touch.

Most of our chances were coming from outside the box, Bennett taking the first when his shot was stopped just outside the box from Wotton, then Larkin forced the first corner but it came to nothing.

Mark Blake, returning after injury, also had numerous attempts on goal only to find them hit weakly or off target. This was our biggest failing, if you're going to shoot from outside the area then you have to give it a bit of welly.

It took Plymouth 35 minutes to mount their first serious attempt on goal.

Stuart Brock in the Harriers goal had had nothing to do so far but when a misplaced header from Adie Smith dropped luckily for Mickey Evans then Brockie was there to take it from his feet.

Plymouth were starting to get a bit more adventurous when a few minutes later they got their first corner, the ball fell just outside the area and Adams struck a first time volley which was saved at full stretch by Brock.

Then Evans tried his luck with a 20yd shot that flew straight at Brock who saved it easily.

Just before the end of the half the Harriers had three chance to take the lead when Larrieu made saves from Clarkson, Blake and Tony Bird in quick succession.

HT. 0-0

The half started with two substitutions when Jan replaced Larkin with Broughton, it would have been nice to see these two playing together but Larkin must have picked up an injury.

Argyle replaced Wills with Nicky Banger.

Straight away the difference could be seen, Plymouth were now much more purposeful up front and the Reds had deteriorated to aiming lobs into the box to Broughton who still cannot jump for a ball without sticking his elbows out.
Thank God that the ref was happy to just wag his finger at him, on any other day he would have got a booking.

It was Evans who had the first attempt on goal of this half but his shot was easily saved by Brock.

Most of Harriers attacks were going through Sam Shilton and it was Shilton who sent in a cross for Bennett to lay the ball off for Mark Blake but his poor shot ended up on Mars.

On the hour Plymouth missed a golden opportunity to take the lead when Beswetherwick passed the ball to the unmarked Banger but from just 10yds out he put his shot just wide of the post.

Plymouth were starting to gain the upper hand with, for me, their best player Phillips starting to make inroads down the left.
In an effort to stop this Jan replaced Sam Shilton with Scott Stamps who he played just in front of Ian Joy.

The game had now regained it's balance but still we couldn't make any headway against the solid Plymouth defence, Stamper came close when he forced Larrieu to come out and save, then Mark Blake had another chance from inside the area but again his weak effort caused no trouble.

In the final few minutes both Danny Williams and Dean Bennett went close to scoring but the game was destined to be scoreless and thats how it finished.

FT. 0-0

Harriers-Online Man of the Match is

Sam Shilton

Found space out on the left and used it well, it's a pity that no-one could manage to connect with his crosses.


Brock, Clarkson, Smith, Shail, Joy, Bird, Blake, Williams, Shilton, Bennett, Larkin.
Subs;  Murphy, Stamps, Broughton, Ducros, Davies.

Larrieu, Worrell, Coughlan, Wotton, Beswetherick, Phillips, Friio, Adams, Hodges, Wills, Evans.
Subs;  McGlinchey, Stonebridge, Banger, Broad, McCormick.

Yellow. Harriers 0.
Yellow. Plymouth 0.

Red. Harriers 0.
Red. Plymouth 0.

Referee;Mr S Baines (Derbyshire).

Chat about this match here
Did you see the same match as me?
Do you want to write a report?
If you do then click here

links to some plymouth websites:

official site

if you came to this page via another website
then please click here to visit

Site © 1999- Harriers-Online.co.uk - all rights reserved  
This site is 100% unofficial and in no way represents the views of Kidderminster Harriers FC