harriers-online match report
Vs york city 
Larkin grabs late goal at York.

Colin Larkin grabbed all three points for the Harriers in this dour game at Bootham Crescent today. At the same time giving us our second double of the season.

After last weeks defeat at Luton when we played with just one up front this week Jan reverted back to his winning formula, 4-3-3. Larkin replaced Tony Bird and Henriksen slotted into his new place in midfield.

It was Drewe Broughton who had the first chance to open the scoring for us in the eleventh minute but his weak header from Abdou Sall's flick-on was easily saved by Fettis in goal for the Minstermen. He had picked up a yellow card two minutes before for a clumsy challenge on Lee Bullock.

The next chance for us fell to Ian Foster when he ran onto a mis-kicked clearance from Mike Basham but, with the goal at his mercy, he hesitated and was robbed by Parkin who cleared the ball to safety.

York then had the first of two penalty appeals turned down when Craig Hinton appeared to bundle midfielder Leigh Wood down in the box, but referee Jones waved away City's appeals.

Bo Henriksen then set up Broughton for the first real scoring opportunity of the game in the 19th minute.

Bo chipped the ball over the top of the static City defence but Drewe waited for too long before shooting and Fettis had time to make the save without being troubled.

Minutes later disaster struck for us when Danny Williams fell badly in a challenge and play was stopped for him to be stretchered off. He didn't re-appear and Sam Shilton was sent on to replace him.

It was Ian Joy's turn to have a try on goal next but his was a typical defenders shot and it went well wide from 30 yds out

Abdou came to the Reds rescue when he blocked Alex Mathie's shot on the turn for City's first corner and also their first attempt on goal.
He came to the rescue again from the corner when he also blocked a shot from Wood.

On the stroke of half time Broughton forced Fettis to dive low to his left and keep out his shot from 20yds out.

HT. 0-0

The second half was only a few minutes old when Jan made a substitution by taking off Ian Foster to bring on Andy Ducros for his first appearance since mid January.
It took him only seconds to make his mark when he latched onto Clarkson's ball over the top but he could only send his shot into the side netting.

York had their first chance in this half but it was again wasted when Nogan headed Edmondson's cross straight at Stuart Brock from point blank range.

For the second time in the game, City had claims for a penalty when a Bullock one-two with Nogan sent him into the area. He appeared to be bundled off the ball by Craig Hinton, but a penalty award would have been harsh.

York were starting to gain the upperhand and were suddenly looking the more dangerous side. It took an interception from Ian Clarkson to stop Bullock from scoring after Nogan had set him up with ball into the area.

Potter took the resulting corner and the ball reached Mathie in space on the far side. Mathie's volley was cleared off the line by Abdou Sall.

Jan then made another change when he threw caution to the wind and took off Ian Clarkson to be replaced by Tony Bird.

Again it worked wonders with a new sense of urgency to our play and almost paid off when Ducros played a short corner to Ian Joy and his tremendous cross saw Broughton power a header goalwards but again Fettis saved it easily.

City showed why they have the worst scoring record at home in the league when Edmondson somehow managed to blaze the ball over the bar from only six yards out.

Our goal came out of the blue when Ducros chipped the ball over the defence to enable Larkin to beat the offside trap.
He took the ball on from 40 yds out and in a one on one with the keeper sent his shot across the goal and into the far corner of the net.

A typical Larkin goal.

Adie Smith received a yellow card five minutes from time, and should have considered himself lucky to stay on the field, when he appeared to raise his hands in a clash with Chris Brass.

In the end it was a well earned three points from a team who are always hard to beat at home.

This should set us up nicely for the short trip to Cheltenham on Tuesday with the only down side being the likely loss of Danny Williams for the rest of the season.

FT. 0-1

vote for your
man of the match now


Brock, Hinton, Smith, Williams, Broughton, Foster, Clarkson, Joy, Sall, Larkin, Henriksen.

Subs;   Danby, Shilton, Ducros, Ayres, Bird.

York City.
Fettis, Basham, Parkin, Potter, Brass, Brackstone, Wood, Bullock, O'Kane, Nogan, Mathie.

Subs;   Edmondson, Howarth, Hocking, Emmerson, Salvati.

Yellow. Harriers 1. Broughton, Clarkson, Smith.
Yellow. York City 0.

Red. Harriers 0.
Red. York City 0.

Mr M Jones (Chester).

Did you see the same match as me?
Do you want to write a report?
If you do then click here

Chat about this game here
links to some york city websites:

official site
message board

if you came to this page via another website
then please click here to visit

Site © 1999- Harriers-Online.co.uk - all rights reserved  
This site is 100% unofficial and in no way represents the views of Kidderminster Harriers FC