harriers-online match report
Vs brentford 
Reds go out of LDV on a freezing night in Hounslow

A Drewe Broughton goal wasn't enough to see the Harriers through to the next round of the LDV Vans Trophy in a game played in freezing conditions in front of a sparse 1,541 attendance.

Dean Bennett Ian Britton opted for a 4-5-1 formation with just our scorer up front.  Bo Henriksen was missing due to suspension and, surprisingly, loan signing Andrew Bishop started the game on the bench along with Dean Bennett.  There was a return to Harriers colours for John 'JJ' Melligan.

The Harriers started the game as they had in recent weeks by giving their opponents a two goal lead.  The first goal came with just five minutes on the clock when the Bees skipper, Scott Marshall, scrambled the ball home from a cross from Kevin O'Connor.  It appeared to many that the ball had taken a deflection from the un-witting Danny Williams.

Twenty minutes later and the second goal had gone in.

A through ball from Fullarton was played into the path of O'Connor, he held off a weak challenge from Lee Ayres and sent an un-stoppable shot high into the back of the net.

The only two attempts of note from the Harriers in the opening half came from Danny Williams who saw his shot in the 28th minute saved by Paul Smith, and Drewe Broughton, who had a brief spell at Brentford four years ago, was denied by a last ditch tackle by Sonko as he aimed to shoot.

As the half came to an end Stuart Brock was called into action twice in succession when he saved well from Evans and Sonko.

HT. 2 - 0

The second half was only thirty seconds old when a poor back pass to Brockie let in Evans on goal.  Luckily his quick reaction didn't bring him any reward.

Our reward came after 51 minutes when Drewe Broughton headed home his fifth goal of the season.  He was waiting at the far post after Sean Flynn's free kick found Sam Shilton in space to send in the telling cross.

A few minutes later and Sean Parrish had missed a golden opportunity to bring us level after Broughton had knocked the ball back in his direction.  With the ball just yards from goal he headed the ball over the bar of the open net.

Andy Bishop Brit then rung the changes by bringing on all three subs in quick succession.  Dean Bennett, Ian Foster and Andrew Bishop all came on at the expense of Shilton, Williams and Joy.  This led to our best spell of the game but we still could not break down the resilient Brentford defence.

Brentfords only chance of the remaining minutes came from their substitute, Tabb.  His fierce drive from close range was well saved by Stuart Brock though.

In the dying seconds Drewe Broughton saw his header go over the bar as the Harriers said goodbye to their last chance of cup glory for another year.

Except for the Worcester Senior Cup, that is.

FT. 2 - 1

vote for your
man of the match now

Brentford  subs   cards      Harriers  subs   cards 
P Smith     Brock  
Somner     Coleman  
Sonko     Joy  
Marshall     Williams  
Frampton     Hinton  
Rowlands     Ayres  
J Smith     Melligan  
Fullarton     Flynn  
Evans     Broughton  
Vine     Parrish  
O'Connor     Shilton  
SUBS:       SUBS:    
Williams     Danby  
Julian     Bennett  
Tabb     Bishop  
Lovett     Foster  
Hughes     Doyle  

Mr B Curson

links to some
brentford websites:

official site

click below
to see previous
Did you see the
same match as me?
Do you want to
write a report?
If you do then click here
If you came here from an external link
then please click below to go to
              Back to Top

Site © 1999- Harriers-Online.co.uk - all rights reserved  
This site is 100% unofficial and in no way represents the views of Kidderminster Harriers FC