harriers-online match report
Vs bury 
Bish bosh's Bury

Andy Bishop grabbed a brace against Bury today to give us a commanding lead and then for some reason we tried to give it all away.  With the team 3-0 up we let Bury back in with 2 late goals to give the home fans a heart stopping final ten minutes.

JJ Melligan At the start of the game there was no place for JJ Melligan who hadn't recovered from his ankle injury in time so his place went to Dean Bennett.  Again Lee Ayres was dropped to the bench and Adie Smith took his place.

It was Bury who had the first two chances of a scrappy game when after five minutes Jon Newby fired in a shot under pressure but the ball went straight to the hands of the Harriers keeper Stuart Brock.  Then Bury's new loan signing Colin Cramb saw his header first hit the floor and then bounce away to safety over the bar.

Apart from that the first twenty minutes was a scrappy affair with neither side managing to put two passes together with out giving the ball away.

On twenty one minutes that all changed when the Harriers went into the lead through a Sean Parrish goal.

Kenny Coleman crossed from the right and his low cross was touched on by Sean just out of the keepers reach.

The game then went back to it's scrappy state for the remainder of the half with only a Danny Williams free kick to lighten the proceedings.  His powerful kick went through the Bury wall only to be blocked on the line by Colin Woodthorpe.

Almost on the stroke of half time the Reds went two up.

From a Bury corner the ball was cleared out to Dean Bennett who then sent Sean Flynn away with a superb ball that split the static Bury defence.  He then sent a pin point cross across the face of their goal for the waiting Andy Bishop to hammer it into the roof of the net.

HT. 2 - 0

After the break the Harriers continued to dominate the game and were looking good value for their lead.

The first chance of this half fell to Andy Bishop again when again the Bury defence was split but this time he hesitated too long and he was robbed superbly by Lee Unsworth.  Minutes later the same kind of break happened again and this time Bishop made amends.

Again Sean Flynn split the Bury defence open to allow Bishop a clear run on goal and unleash a shot from the right hand side of the area which flew past Garner in the Bury goal.

We looked to be cruising it then and it seemed only a matter of time before a fourth goal would be added but we hadn't banked on a double substitution by the Bury manager.  He bought on Nugent and O'Shaughnessy for Clegg and Woodthorpe in an effort to stop the rampant Harriers forwards.

The move seemed to spur Bury into action and us into making silly mistakes.  Our passing had gone back to it's first half state and it was us that now found ourselves under pressure.

The pay off came in the 80th minute when the visitors pulled a goal back just after the arrival of the Shakers third substitution.  Ian Lawson for Terry Dunfield.

Adie Smith was judged to have fouled Colin Cramb on the edge of the area and the ensuing free kick rebounded off the wall.  After a bit of a scramble it fell to Lawson who slotted it home from six yards out.

Soon after they had pulled another goal back through another free kick on the edge of the area.   The free kick was taken quickly at first but the ball struck the referee on the back.  He then booked Dean Bennett for an infringement and told them to take it again ten yards nearer to the goal.  Redmond took the kick and his low drive went through the wall and into the back of the net.

Ian Foster Bury had been given renewed hope and that was given further encouragement when the referee inexplicably added on an extra 4 minutes of added time.

In that time they could have drawn themselves level when Cramb wasted a glorious chance to equalise but his shot almost hit the scoreboard.

In the very last seconds of the game Ian Foster missed his chance of glory when he shot into the side netting after Danny Williams first shot was well saved by Garner.

Although we scored three goals and the two we let through couldn't really be avoided it would be nice to see some of our passing improved in time for the visit of Oxford Utd this Tuesday.

FT. 3 - 2

The Harriers-Online
Man of the Match is : 
Craig Hinton

Held the midfield together throughout the game and played much better without Lee Ayres alongside him.

vote for your
man of the match now

Harriers  subs   cards      Bury  subs   cards 
Brock     Garner  
Coleman     Stuart  
Smith     Redmond  
Williams     Swailes
Hinton     Unsworth  
Parrish     Dunfield  
Bennett   Woodthorpe  
Flynn     Billy  
Bishop     Cramb  
Henriksen     Newby
Shilton     Clegg  
SUBS:       SUBS:    
Danby     Nelson  
Foster     O'Shaughnessy  
Ducros     Nugent  
Ayres     Lawson  
Hodge     Preece  

Mr M Thorpe

links to some
bury websites:

official site
Chat about
this game
click below
to see previous
Did you see the
same match as me?
Do you want to
write a report?
If you do then click here
If you came here from an external link
then please click below to go to
              Back to Top

Site © 1999- Harriers-Online.co.uk - all rights reserved  
This site is 100% unofficial and in no way represents the views of Kidderminster Harriers FC