harriers-online match report
Vs hull city 
Molby's Tigers tamed

Jan MolbyThere was a rousing welcome back to Aggborough for Jan Molby today when he bought his much hyped and over-rated Big City side here for this emotionally charged game.  By the end though it was the 'village team' from Worcestershire that triumphed and sent his Tigers home with their tails dragging the ground behind them.

A good twenty minutes before the start of the game the Harriers fans had started to sing their songs for Jan.  When he finally emerged from the tunnel as the teams kicked off the noise swelled to a crescendo with cries of Judas,Judas ringing around the ground.

He cupped his hand to his ear, as if to say "I can't hear you" and then sat down with Gary Barnett by his side.

If he was thinking that his new team would do his talking for him he was wrong.  They were just as bad as the other Big City team we played last week, Bristol Rovers.  The ball was being played in the air and when they weren't shooting for the stars they were kicking it into touch at the first opportunity.

They looked a very dis-jointed side and nothing like the Molby teams that we were used to.

Mark Clyde was back for us after missing last weeks game through illness.  This would be his last game for the boys in Red unless his loan spell is extended.  He will miss next weeks home game to Macclesfield because he's on duty with the Irish U21 team but his mate JJ will be available.

Another Wolves player out on loan was Michael Branch who was taken on a month long deal by Jan Molby yesterday.  This meant their usual striker, Gary Alexander, was not wanted and did not even make the bench.  Sounds familiar.

On our bench was Adie Smith who was coming back after a spell injured.

After an opening period of tentative play the Harriers had the first attack on goal when Scott Stamps set up Sam Shilton for a run on goal but the City keeper got there in the nick of time to punt the ball to safety.

Drewe Broughton, who would be hoping to get on the scoresheet before his one match ban next week almost opened his account when he raced on to a through ball from Danny Williams but as he rounded the keeper, Musslewhite, he slipped and the chance went begging.

Hull were forced into a substitution in the 15th minute when Edwards was caught in a collision with Drewe and limped off to be replaced by Sean Smith.

The Harriers were getting into their stride now and starting to take Hull apart and Bomber Bo tried his luck with a low drive at goal that forced Musselwhite into a terrific save.

Sam Shilton was having another cracking game and chose this match against one of his biggest critics to show just what he is capable of.  He was unstoppable.  Running the Hull defence ragged throughout the game.

Hull had their first attack in the 30th minute but Branch's cross shot was no trouble to the watching Brockie.

As the half wore on we were looking the more likely to score but even with all the pressure that we were applying we couldn't make the breakthrough needed.  Both Drewe and Bo had chances but both times the keeper kept City in the game.

Just before half-time Broughton found his name in the book again for dissent.  Last season he was getting booked for elbows, this time round it's continually for dissent.  It didn't help that the ref wears amber and black jim-jams in bed!

On the stroke of half-time Craig Hinton fired a goalbound shot towards the top corner but it was well saved by Musselwhite.

HT. 0 - 0

During half-time the police moved into the home end to root out the ringleaders who had been leading the singing.  One passionate fan was led away to jeers from his fellow supporters.  The jeers were not against him but for the heavy handed attitude that BOTH police and club have adopted about Jan's return.

One minute they're asking the fans to create more atmosphere the next they're turfing out the one's who are creating it.  It's just a bit of harmless banter for God's sake not an incitement to riot.

Why didn't the police wade into the away end when the Hull fans were calling for Molby's head at the end of the game?

This kind of attitude does the club no favours.

Hull came out looking all the more brighter for Jan's half-time chat.  We remember those don't we!

Bo Henriksen Branch had the first attempt on goal when he headed over the bar from close range but it didn't take long for the Reds to regain the upperhand.

Bo Henriksen came close with a header of his own that was blocked on the line but the on the hour mark he sealed the game with an absolute gem of a goal.

A corner was taken on the right by Craig Hinton and when it looked as if the ball had dropped too far behind Bo he somehow stretched out, swivelled and hammered the ball past the static Musslewhite.

The ground erupted.  We had got the goal we had wanted and deserved.

After that it was one way traffic with the Reds going in search of the second goal.  A Broughton lob almost got it but a City defender again cleared off the line.

Bo Henriksen found his name in the refs little black book after 74 minutes when he was judged to be offside.  If he was it was very, very close but he slammed the ball down in disgust and was booked for his actions.

Four minutes from the end of the game Broughton missed a great opportunity to get on the scoresheet when, in a one on one with the keeper he fired his shot straight at him when it wouldn't have taken much to just lob it over him.

Then the Harriers had a penalty appeal turned down.  Bo, who was clear on goal, had his ankle tapped by a Hull defender but instead of staying down he got up to fire at the target but the keeper saved it and City's pet ref waved his appeals away.

Sam Shilton Two minutes later Bo was denied another chance from close range when his shot stung the keepers hands and as he connected with the rebound he fell to the floor.  The ball fell to him again and he tried to flick it with his foot but it rolled just the wrong side of the post.  Heads in hands time!

Danny Williams was next in the book after an innocent looking tackle on Dudfield but the ref hadn't finished yet and in injury time he also added the names of Lee Ayres and Sean Flynn to his list of most wanted men.

We moved up to 8th place in the league while Jan's new team languish ten places below us and are looking like a team going one way.  Down.

They were pretty bad at times with no cohesion and flair.  Their defence looks cumbersome and with the exception of Whittle didn't seem up for it.

We were though, and it showed.  At times our play was reminiscent of our good times with Molby and Sam Shilton showed why Jan was wrong to treat him the way he did.

His runs down the wing and his reading of the game were a revelation and he must be in line for most improved player of the season award come next April.

I heard Molby talking on the radio after the game about our performance today.  He was generous with his praise and admitted that Hull had been beaten by the better side.

Jan wasn't all that bad then.

FT. 1 - 0

The Harriers-Online
Man of the Match is : 
Sam Shilton

Turned in his best performance of the season so far and proved to Jan Molby that his treatment of him was unwarranted.

Best for them:  Justin Whittle.

vote for your
man of the match now

Harriers  subs   cards      Hull City  subs   cards 
Brock     Musslewhite  
Clyde     Edwards  
Stamps   Ashbee  
Williams   Anderson  
Hinton     Whittle  
Ayres   Green  
Melligan     Elliott  
Flynn   Jevons  
Broughton   Branch  
Henriksen   Regan  
Shilton     Keates  
SUBS:       SUBS:    
Danby     Glennon  
Joy     Dudfield  
Foster     S Smith  
A Smith     Williams  
Bennett     Johnson  

Mr E Ilderton (Newcastle)

links to some
hull city websites:

official site
amber nectar
Did you see the same match as me?
Do you want to write a report?
If you do then click here
If you came here from an external link
then please click below to go to
              Back to Top

Site © 1999- Harriers-Online.co.uk - all rights reserved  
This site is 100% unofficial and in no way represents the views of Kidderminster Harriers FC