harriers-online match report
Vs oxford utd 
Another last minute goal woe

The Harriers saw what was almost their last chance of making the play-offs vanish at the Kassam Stadium today when they lost to another, almost, last minute goal.  Following the heartbreak of dropping two points against Hartlepool last week they went one worse today when they lost 2-1 to fellow play-off chasers, Oxford Utd.

The game at Rochdale on Tuesday evening will be an even more important 'must win' game now.  Nothing but all three points will do.

Today's game started with out any changes to last weeks side, with the exception of John Danby back on the bench after being recalled to take over from Fraser Digby who has now left the club.  There was still no starting place for Scott Stamps.

The Harriers started by taking the game to Oxford and came close to opening the scoring when Dean Bennett's cross flew across the face of the goal.  All it needed was a touch from Bo Henriksen or Andy Bishop and it would have been the start that we needed.

Ten minutes later and JJ came close but his header went straight into the arms of the waiting Oxford keeper.

It wasn't all one way traffic though.  Stuart Brock was being kept busy stopping Savage and Ford from grabbing goals for the Utd side.

Sammy Shilton was the next to come close to leaving his mark on the game when he should have scored from a loose ball after Bo's overhead kick from a Danny Williams cross.

A minute later and it was Oxford that had taken the lead.

The ball had gone out of play, but, with the linesman flagging for a goalkick the referee over ruled him and awarded a corner.  The ball was delivered into the area and with all the time in the world Paul McCarthy rolled the ball into the net.  Again a lapse in defensive concentration had contributed to the goal.

Thankfully Bo came to the rescue just a few minutes later when he pulled a goal back for us.

Andy Bishops came up for a corner but could only get the slightest touch on it.  The ball ran loose and luckily Bo was there to turn the ball into the net.  Bo almost added to the scoreline on the stroke of halftime but his goal was ruled offside.

HT. 1 - 1

The second half was a much more tense affair with neither side prepared to give anything away.  The stakes were too high for cavalier tactics.

Only three chances of a goal came, two of them falling for Utd.  The first one they should have scored from when Danny just managed to block a goalbound effort from Robinson.

Our only chance of the half fell for Sean Flynn but he sent his header well wide of goal after a good cross from Bo Henriksen.  That came four minutes from the end of the game and could easily have been the winner.  That honour fell to Oxford instead.

With the minutes ticking away a long ball was sent over for Onoyinmi to run onto.  Leaving Dion Scott flat footed he swept the ball home under the diving Stuart Brock to claim a late winner for Utd.

Our last chance, barring miracles, will come in East Lancashire on Tuesday.  Miracles can happen.

FT. 2 - 1

vote for your
man of the match now

Oxford Utd  subs   cards      Harriers  subs   cards 
Woodman     Brock  
McNiven     D Scott  
McCarthy   Smith  
Crosby     Williams  
Robinson     Hinton  
Waterman   Melligan  
Bound     Bennett
Savage     Flynn  
Ford     Bishop  
Foley     Henriksen
A Scott     Shilton  
SUBS:       SUBS:    
Hunter     Danby  
Whitehead     Broughton  
Hackett     Stamps  
Oldfield     McAuley  
Omoyimni     Parrish  

Mr I Williamson

links to some
oxford websites:

official site
this is united
Chat about
this game
click below
to see previous
Did you see the
same match as me?
Do you want to
write a report?
If you do then click here
If you came here from an external link
then please click below to go to
              Back to Top

Site © 1999- Harriers-Online.co.uk - all rights reserved  
This site is 100% unofficial and in no way represents the views of Kidderminster Harriers FC