harriers-online match report
Vs wrexham afc 
Play-off hopes go crashing

The Harriers slim play-off hopes went crashing to the ground today just like the rickety old camera gantry that toppled over in the wind.

It didn't start too good with the news just before 2:00pm that JJ had withdrawn through what was presumed to be appendicitis and Drewe had got a bout of flu.  The talk going round later was more like a black eye for one of them.  Even when questioned by Hereford Worcester radio after the game Brit, when asked if JJ was alright, just said that he wasn't really bothered but he'll find out tomorrow.

Whatever the reasons are it's something we didn't need today in what was probably the most important game of the season.

The starting line-up included Scott Stamps and Sean Parrish with Andy Bishop seemingly ploughing a lone furrow up front due to the absence of Bo Henriksen through suspension.  There was also a start for Adie Smith who had apparently made a quick recovery from the sprained knee he received at Rochdale.

Inderpaul Khela was recalled from Evesham to sit on the bench along with Nick Heath who had already made a brief substitute appearance at Macclesfield a couple of weeks ago.

After a scrappy start due to the blustery conditions the first action came after 7 minutes when Scott Stamps was booked by our favourite referee for a clumsy tackle on Edwards.  Although the tackle was from behind it was never malicious and Scott did manage to get the ball away, so what's the problem?

Stretton did seem to have it in for us again with two more of ours going in the book for petty offences and just one of theirs.  As for the things he missed!

Wrexham had the first real attempt on goal when leading scorer Andy Morrell pounced onto an Adie Smith mistake to lay the ball back for a colleague to chip the ball over Stuart Brock.  Luckily for us it was also chipped over the bar, just.  Adie was treated for his knee after he had fallen badly.

Stretton then cautioned Danny Williams on 17 minutes after he kicked the ball away following a foul.  Danny is now on 10 points and could miss the last two games of the season.

A few minutes later and the game was stopped for 10 minutes when the scaffolding for the old camera gantry fell down.  Lets hope that the new structure going up behind it is made of sterner stuff even though it's Cheltenhams crappy new stand in disguise.

When the teams returned to the fray Ian Foster had replaced the Adie.  The risk to him playing had been too great and it's a certainty that he'll miss the York City game now.

With Foster on Ian Britton put Dean Bennett back out wide and played Fossie up front alongside Bish.

We started to put the pressure on Wrexham then with first Bish going close with a header that went wide and then a last minute tackle by Carey stopped Bishop from scoring.  In between Stuart Brock made a great block with his legs from Morrell.

Suddenly, against the run of play, Wrexham went ahead.  Bad defending was the reason as three Harriers players stood back to watch Lee Trundle take the ball along the edge of the area.  With Trundle about to shoot Dion Scott failed to make the tackle and the ball was sent goalwards at an angle to give Brockie no chance.

The obnoxious Trundle had another chance minutes later but this time Brockie denied him with a quality save.

The teams went off for another break with the Harriers fans getting the feeling that was that for this year.

HT. 0 - 1

The second half started with the Harriers getting in the first attack of the second period when Ian Foster's shot was pushed away by Andy Dibble in goal for the Welshmen.  And that was it for the Harriers as an attacking force.

Although the first half was no classic the second half was dire with very little flair on show from the depleted Harriers team.  Wrexham were no better and hardly troubled Stuart Brock at all.

Wrexham made a substitution taking Darren Ferguson off and bringing Paul Barrett on.

Ian Foster came close for us again just after when his intended cross drifted just over the bar with Dibble just getting his fingertips to it.  On 63 minutes it was all over.

Again it was Trundle who scored.  Wrexham gained a corner but as the ball came in it was only half cleared by Dion and fell just right for Trundle to bundle home from 5yds out.

Wrexham almost added another goal when the lanky Dennis Lawrence found himself unmarked (because no one could jump that high anyway) in the penalty area.  His strong header was easily saved by Brockie though.

In an effort to rake something from the ashes Brit bought on Hugh McAuley for his home debut.  To everyone's disbelief he replaced Andy Bishop, the only Harriers player to show any real danger in front of goal.

It was all too little too late and the game fizzled out with only a late header from Sean Parrish to remember the closing stages by.

We now stand four points behind the play-off zone but with both Torquay and more importantly York City losing today we still have a slim chance and with our miniscule squad it is a slim chance.

FT. 0 - 2

The Harriers-Online
Man of the Match is : 
Dean Bennett

He plugged away throughout the game and his ball control gave Wrexham a fright.

Best for them:  Paul Edwards.  As with Deano he too gave us a few scares.

vote for your
man of the match now

Harriers  subs   cards      Wrexham AFC  subs   cards 
Brock     Dibble  
Scott     Roberts
Stamps   Carey  
Williams   Lawrence  
Hinton   C Edwards  
Smith     Whitley  
Bennett     Ferguson  
Flynn     Green  
Bishop     Trundle  
Parrish     Morrell  
Shilton     P Edwards  
SUBS:       SUBS:    
Danby     Rogers  
McAuley     Holmes  
Khela     Jones  
Foster     Barrett  
Heath     Morgan  

Mr F Stretton

links to some
wrexham websites:

official site
red passion
one nil to the sheepshag**rs
Chat about
this game
click below
to see previous
Did you see the
same match as me?
Do you want to
write a report?
If you do then click here
If you came here from an external link
then please click below to go to
              Back to Top

Site © 1999- Harriers-Online.co.uk - all rights reserved  
This site is 100% unofficial and in no way represents the views of Kidderminster Harriers FC