McAlpine Stadium
att:  8275  away fans:  90
Extra info
Stead 12
A better performance but our lack of goals drop us down to second from bottom
 harriers-online match report
tuesday 30th september 2003 
Harriers drop to 23rd

The Harriers shored up their leaky defence tonight, against Huddersfield Town at the McAlpine Stadium, by keeping them down to just the one goal.  But that one goal was enough to give Town maximum points and push us down to 23rd place in the table.

With Craig Hinton on the bench and Bo Henriksen partnering John Williams up front we were looking at a less defensive performance than was the aim against Hull City.

The goal came in the 12th minute after an equally balanced opening spell that saw Sam Shilton booked just a few seconds before for dissent.  The 20yr old Jon Stead showed why he is being watched by the Premiership clubs when he pounced on a rebound after Danny Schofield's shot had been cleared off the line by Danny Williams.

This time the Harriers heads didn't drop and they stuck at the task of getting a goal back but the problems with this team are not confined to our defensive frailties.  We can't seem to score either.

Bo Henriksen is a pale shadow of the player he was last season and is now looking the worse for wear.  His late nights clubbing and frequenting the Watermill are taking their toll.  His heavy smoking habit is not helpful either.

What ever happened to that fitness instructor that we had at Aggborough.  Has he given up with Bo?  The sooner he gets to grips with Bo's problems the better.

HT. 1 - 0

This half saw more attacking from the Harriers with Bo going close after 57 minutes when he beat Holdsworth and Yates down the left before darting into the box to fire a shot just wide of the target.

Bo then laid on a golden chance for John Williams when he took the ball to the byeline and laid it off only for Williams to swing at the ball wildly and totally miss the chance.

Town got the ball into the net again five minutes later when the Harriers defence went missing.  Stead slipped his marker to tap in Schofield's right wing cross and was booked by referee Kevin Friend for protesting when the effort was disallowed for offside.

That close call prompted Ian Britton to make some changes and he took off Dean Bennett and John Williams.  Lloyd Dyer, in probably his last game for us, and Andy Bishop came on as their replacements.

It was still Huddersfield asking the questions of us though and they went close to increasing the lead again on 73 minutes.  Stuart Brock produced a brilliant save to prevent Andy Booth's bullet header flying into the net.

Again Brit responded by bring on Sean Parrish in exchange for Danny Williams in an effort to get the equaliser but it was all too late.  Town also made a tactical change and bought on another defender, Sodje, to try and hold onto their slender lead.

So 1 - 0 was how it finished.  A better showing from the lads but it's no good playing better for just one game.  We have to do it in every game and the ideal chance of a win will come this Saturday.

Carlisle are the visitors.  Oh dear!

FT. 1 - 0

vote for your
man of the match now

Huddersfield  subs   cards      Harriers  subs   cards 
Gray     Brock  
Mirfin     Smith  
Scott     Stamps  
Holdsworth     D Williams  
Schofield     Willis
Yates     Bennett  
Worthington     Ward
Booth     Betts  
Stead   J Williams  
Fowler   Henriksen  
Carss     Shilton
SUBS:       SUBS:    
Senior     Dyer  
Sodje     Hinton  
Newby     Gadsby  
Lloyd     Parrish  
Mattis     Bishop  

Mr K Friend

links to some
huddersfield websites:

official site
click below
to see previous
Did you see the
same match as me?
Do you want to
write a report?
If you do then click here
If you came here from an external link
then please click below to go to
              Back to Top

Site © 1999- - all rights reserved  
This site is 100% unofficial and in no way represents the views of Kidderminster Harriers FC