Kingfield Stadium
att:  3484  
Extra info
Woking FC
A Dean Bennett double and one from Steve Burton see's us into the next round of FA Cup for the first time in 10 years
  Bennett 6, 64
  Burton 74
 harriers-online match report
Saturday 6th December 2003 
Deano double puts Harriers into next round

Another two FA Cup goals from Dean Bennett, following his two against Northwich in the previous round, saw the Harriers sweep aside their old foes from the Conference in this emphatic 3-0 win.

After a fifteen minute delay to allow the larger than usual Woking crowd in, this is what you find when a top side come to play, it took just six minutes for Deano to open the scoring when he ran onto a fine through ball from Matt Gadsby.  He took the ball on a further ten yards and then shot straight and low underneath the Woking keeper, Bevan.

It was just the start we needed after most fans had been expecting a banana skin all week.  Jan had opted to bring back Scott Stamps for his first game in six weeks and he put Sean Parrish on the bench as he decided to go with the 4-5-1 formation, playing usual full back Steve Burton in a wide role.

Again Bo Henriksen failed to start the game.

After the goal came a short period of Woking pressure but the Harriers managed to soak it up with Adie Smith making one crucial decision when he slid in to stop Nades' shot after it looked like going all the way.  Wayne Hatswell stopped the same player from scoring just a few minutes later with a good tackle but the ref thought otherwise and gave Woking a free kick that was in turn wasted.

Slowly the Harriers took control of the game and forced Woking to resort to long ball tactics that didn't suit their style of play.

Just before half-time we almost increased our lead when Andy White beat the offside trap but his lob over the top of the keeper went wide of the mark.

HT. 0 - 1

Woking came out from the break looking a bit more positive but once Dean had got his second goal all fears of a comeback for the non-leaguers evaporated.  He raced onto a Steve Burton through ball 30yds from goal and surged into the penalty area.  His first strike of the ball was pushed out by Bevan but with Dean's momentum taking him on it hit him on the knee and he bundled it into the net.

On 75 minutes the game was all over for Woking and their dreams of Cup glory.  Sam Shilton, who had come on for John Williams, sent over the perfect cross into the area for the unmarked Steve Burton to shoot into the net from the far post.  His first goal in senior football.

That was the signal for the home crowd to make their excuses and leave as the Harriers played out the remainder of the game knowing that they were now into the 3rd round and facing the prospect of playing a Premiership club.

I think it'll be away at somewhere like Luton or Accrington.  No worries, a mere formality.

FT. 0 - 3

vote for your
man of the match now

Woking  subs   cards      Harriers  subs   cards 
Bevan     Brock  
Sharp   Burton  
MacDonald     Stamps  
Selley   D Williams  
Townsend     Hinton
Boardman     Hatswell
Canham     Bennett  
Foyewa   A Smith  
Ferguson     J Williams  
Nade     White  
Sharpling     Gadsby
SUBS:       SUBS:    
Bayes     Danby  
Haule     Coleman  
N Smith     Henriksen  
L Cockerill     Parrish  
Campbell     Shilton  

Mr C Penton

links to some
woking websites:

official site
click below
to see previous
Did you see the
same match as me?
Do you want to
write a report?
If you do then click here
If you came here from an external link
then please click below to go to
              Back to Top

Site © 1999- - all rights reserved  
This site is 100% unofficial and in no way represents the views of Kidderminster Harriers FC