att:  25808  away fans:  
Extra info
  Miller 36, 65
Harriers make their exit from FA Cup At Molineux.
Controversial second goal kills us off but failure to convert chances doesn't help.
 harriers-online match report
Tuesday 13th January 2004 
Lucky Wolves win through

The Harriers FA Cup journey for this season came to an end at Molineux tonight when the Reds lost 2-0 to a poor Wolves side that were made to look every inch the strugglers that they are.  The fact that we restricted them to just a handful of shots on goal wasn't helped by our equally shot shy attack.

With the same team that started in the original game at Aggborough ten days ago Jan Molby was looking for more of the same passion and passing that we saw then.  There was that in plenty but sadly there was also the same failure to make our chances count.

As expected Wolves, being the home side and with more to lose than us, started the game strongly and for the first fifteen minutes our defence was on it's back foot and being forced into making simple mistakes.  Slowly we pulled ourselves round and we saw two early chances to take the lead vanish.  First Bo Henriksen just failed to turn home a Danny Williams free kick in the 17th minute and then Graham Ward was just inches away from embarrassing his old club when his 20yd drive in the 24th minute went just wide.

During that time, and with all their possession, the Wolves had only managed to test Stuart Brock once when Miller shot straight at him.

The Wolves goal came against the run of play after 35 minutes when they were awarded a free kick on the edge of the area.  Adie Smith was wrongly adjudged to have fouled Kennedy and the same player took the free kick.  He played it across the goalmouth to Ganea who redirected it back to Miller.  His header easily deceived Brock who remained rooted to the spot as the ball trickled between him and his left hand post.

Wolves then took control of the game and Ganea came close to scoring himself but his shot on the turn was blasted wide.  They were then awarded another dubious free kick on the edge of the area that, after what seemed a lifetime setting up, Kennedy sent way over the bar with the kind of kick that would have made Jonny Wilkinson proud.

Again we clawed our way back into the game and we finished the half the stronger team and could have gone into the break level after Bo Henriksen had spurned a last minute chance.  A Danny Williams free kick found Sean Parrish who headed the ball down to the waiting Bo but his shot on the turn was just inches wide.

HT. 1 - 0

The second half started with the Harriers playing towards the old South Bank and continuing to be the side more likely to get something from the game.   Bo had an early chance to do something creative when he beat the offside trap and cut into the Wolves area but his lack of fitness showed when he was overtaken by Butler and the ball was played to safety.

We then had a couple of free kicks that we failed to get anything from.  The first one was given for a foul on Henriksen by Mark Clyde for which he earned a booking.  This was right on the edge of the area in Danny Williams favoured position but when he eventually took it, it sailed well over the bar.

We had another one seconds after.  This time on the bye-line after Bo was up ended just he was about to run into the box.  Again Danny took it and this time Graham Ward got his head to it but, with the ball heading goalwards, Adie Smith got in the way and the ball hit him on the back.

On 65 minutes Miller got his and Wolves second goal of the night and again it was a soft goal made controversial by the inept teamwork of the referee and his assistant.

The ball went out for a throw in near the Wolves corner flag.  The over rated Luzhny took the throw and played it to Miller who then sent over a cross that totally deceived the Harriers defence and Stuart Brock.  It struck the far post and as it bounced out Craig Hinton cleared the ball to safety.

The linesman then signalled to the better placed referee that the ball had crossed the line and the ref, seeing his chance to make sure that Wolves went through, gave the goal.  I'm not saying the ref was convinced that it had crossed the line, just that he could have been easily swayed.

After the goal the Wolves seemed content to hold onto what they had got but there was just one incident that should really have seen the dismissal of the Wolves keeper and a defender for violent conduct.

The Harriers were awarded a free kick on the edge of the area and again Danny stepped up to take it.  His powerful kick flew through the wall and was stopped then spilled by the keeper.  Bo followed it up but was pushed over by Oakes who then kicked the ball upfield.

With Bo on the floor Oakes then swung a kick in his direction and a Wolves defender, Andrews, rushed in and did the same but this time connecting.  With all the players rushing in to add their two pence worth the ref pulled them apart and gave Bo and Oakes a lengthy talking to.  After he had booked both players he then walked upfield and booked Andrews, who had hoped to be getting away with it.

The Harriers hearts had gone out of it and Molby then bought on a couple of subs.  Rickards in place of the hard working Parrish and the hero from the original game, John Williams, in place of the very disappointing Christiansen.  Christiansen had come to Aggborough on the back of glowing praise from Jan but I have yet to see anything that tells me that he's any better than the faster and more mobile Andy White.

Straight away we could see what could have been if only Rickards had been on from the start.  His darting runs had the Wolves defenders running in circles but it was all too late by then.

It's now back to the important task of scoring some goals and beating Darlington this Saturday but our five minutes of fame for this year has been an exciting one and has also earned us a bit of cash into the bargain.

For Wolves it's a desperate fight against relegation and one that I can't see them avoiding.  They have had two footballing lessons in recent weeks and both of them were against us, a lowly 3rd Division club.

FT. 2 - 0

The Harriers-Online
Man of the Match is : 
Wayne Hatswell

Again he's showed us what a strong player he is by helping to restrict Wolves to just a few shots on goal all through the game.

Best for them:  Again the Premiership players fail to deceive themselves and their fans.  In the Prem you need classy players.  Wolves don't have any.

vote for your
man of the match now

Wolves  subs   cards      Harriers  subs   cards 
Oakes   Brock  
Luzhny     Smith  
Clyde   Stamps
Craddock     D Williams  
Butler   Hinton  
Andrews   Hatswell  
Newton     Bennett  
Gudjonsson     Parrish  
Kennedy     Christiansen  
Miller     Henriksen
Ganea     Ward  
SUBS:       SUBS:    
Ikeme     Danby  
Cameron     Rickards  
Iversen     Gadsby  
Silas     White  
Rae     J Williams  

Mr M Messias

links to some
wolves websites:

official site
wolves central
click below
to see previous
Did you see the
same match as me?
Do you want to
write a report?
If you do then click here
If you came here from an external link
then please click below to go to
              Back to Top

Site © 1999- - all rights reserved  
This site is 100% unofficial and in no way represents the views of Kidderminster Harriers FC