att:  2779  away fans:  488
Extra info
We get served up relegation rubbish in one of our worst home displays all season.
Chester were no better either and if I had my way they'd go down with us.
Chester City
  Drummond 76
  harriers-online match report
Saturday 12th February 2005  
En route for relegation

At the end of the Fans Forum held last night in the Aggborough Suite I asked our manager Stuart Watkiss if we were going to win today.   He didn't commit himself to a yes or a no but he did say that the team that he chose to go out against Chester would be the strongest possible and would play to the best of their ability.

Shame the players didn't hear it or that they didn't see the enthusiasm for Stuart from all those attending the evening because today they turned in one of the worst performances of the season.

He promised a different look to the side and we got that with Wayne Hatswell sitting just in front of the back four as a sweeper.   Did it work? No.   Will it be used again? I hope not.

There was also another start for Chris Beardsley but not for new signing Bertrand Cozic.   Also back after suspension was Tom Bennett and Lee Jenkins.   Johnny Mullins took over as centre half in place of the now out of position Hats.

There's not much one can say about the game because it was so bad.   Every time either side got the ball it was either hoofed up field or headed around between them selves.   Neither side seemed able, or capable, of putting their foot on the ball and passing it to another player.

The only two highlights of this half came from City first when Sean Hessey struck an astounding free kick from outside the area that went as straight as an arrow.   Amazingly John Danby managed to get a fingertip to this deadly bullet and tipped it over the bar.

The second highlight came from a header by Gary Birch that struck the bar.   If that had gone in would the course of the game have been different.

HT. 0 - 0

The expectant Harriers fans thought that there would be some kind of change and improvement for the second half.   There was a change with Blair Sturrock coming on for the injured Birch.   There was no improvement though.

We still couldn't string passes together and the much altered midfield could not supply the frontmen with any decent fodder.   Even when Sturrock and Russell tried to do it for themselves it was no better with no-one available to get on the end of any crosses into the box.

We had a half decent spell midway through the half but the devastating goal came following a period of, to be honest, weak pressure from City.   For a good ten minutes the ball was in their half and we just didn't seem able to clear the ball away to safety.

At the end of that period Hessey put a speculative ball across the area and with two defenders marking one man Stuart Drummond was all alone to place the ball past Danby with ease.

That spurred us into a brief revival but we just haven't got enough in our locker when the chips are down and a big chance of closing the gap on the also defeated Rushden was gone.

Up the Severn to Shrewsbury next and things have got to improve on this fiasco.

FT. 0 - 1

The Harriers-Online
Man of the Match is : 
Johnny Mullins

Overall the team played so badly it was again hard to choose a victim for this award.
This weeks victim is Johnny.
Man of the Match
vote for your
man of the match now

Harriers  subs   cards      Chester City  subs   cards 
Danby     Brown  
Jenkins     Edmondson  
Jones     Bolland  
Bennett     Carden  
Hatswell     Hope  
Mullins     Davies  
Beardsley     Hessey  
Weaver     Branch
Birch     Atieno  
McGrath     Drummond  
Russell     O`Neill  
SUBS:       SUBS:    
Lewis     MacKenzie  
Sall     Hillier  
Foster     Vaughan  
Cozic     Elokobi  
Sturrock     Brown  

Mr P Crossley

links to some
chester websites:

official site
early doors
click below
to see previous

Site © 1999- - all rights reserved  
This site is 100% unofficial and in no way represents the views of Kidderminster Harriers FC