Harriers Online. The wonderful world of Kidderminster Harriers

        HOME    FORUM
You have arrived at an archived page.
Please use one of the links to the left to reach either the current website or the Harriers Chatter forum.
Thank you.

Southport 1 Harriers 0     (FA Cup 4th Qual' Rd)

Date: 22-10-05 Venue: Haig Avenue att: 1108 away fans: 135
Harriers slip up in Cup defeat
JHFC* crashed out of the FA Cup today after this mealy mouthed excuse for a performance at fellow Conference side Southport.    The late arrival of the team due to a crash on the motorway cannot be held as an excuse for such a lame effort after the high of beating Darlington so well just four days ago.

*Jekyll & Hyde FC

There was a start again for Danny Lewis with John Danby dropping to the bench.    The rest of the line-up was the same as the previous game.

At first it looked like we had come to get a result with Gareth Sheldon going close when his intended cross was only just stopped from going in by the Southport keeper Dickinson.    Darryl Burgess also had a header go just over the bar from a corner and that was it for a while.

After another twenty minutes of nothing happening Terry Fleming played in Christie but, as in recent games, he seemed to lack confidence as well control and the ball ran away from to be put out for a corner by a worried? Southport defender.

The game had now de-generated into a boring display of non-football from both sides and the half time break couldn't come too soon.
HT: 0 - 0
Harriers had the better of the early exchanges again in this half and again it was Sheldon that was first to test the keeper but he took too long over his shot and it was easily stopped by Dickinson.   Seven minutes into the half and Martin O'Connor went off for his rest and was again replaced by Laurie Wilson and again we lost the midfield.

Southport now saw their chance and started to put some pressure on us and came up with their first shot on goal when Steve Daly got in a header from a free kick but Lewis stopped it well.

On sixty nine minutes they took the lead when substitute Matthew McGinn sent over across that eluded Lewis to land just right for the unmarked Chris Lane to volley home from a few yards out.    With our FA Cup over Stuart Watkiss made a couple more changes with Lee Thompson replacing Sheldon and soon after Gavin Hurren for Wayne Evans.    With no other strikers available he had no choice than to put on two midfielders but why take off a striker in the first place?

So it's Southport that progress to the next round now with another home tie, this time against stronger opposition in Woking.    We can take our partners shopping instead.
FT: 1 - 0

 Goal for Southport: Lane 69.

Vote for your Man of the Match here.

Southport  subs   cards      Harriers  subs   cards 
Dickinson     Lewis  
Lane     Evans  
Powell     Hatswell  
Davis     O'Connor  
Fitzhenry     Jackson  
Baker     Burgess  
Lynch     Fleming  
Morley     Heslop  
Leadbetter     Christie  
Daly gif   Sheldon  
Robinson     Russell  
SUBS:       SUBS:    
Speare     Danby  
Kilbane     Burton  
Pickford     Thompson  
McGinn     Wilson  
Booth     Hurren  

Mr K Evans

Harriers Online @ Facebook

Midland Hydrographics. Proud to support Kidderminster Harriers FC and Harriers Online

Webamaze. Web design for you

Harriers Online forum


Join the KHIST 2020 lottery to raise funds for the club

Help to keep Harriers Online going

Harriers news straight to your desktop
Site © 1999- Harriers Online - all rights reserved  
This site is 100% unofficial and in no way represents the views of Kidderminster Harriers FC