Harriers Online. The wonderful world of Kidderminster Harriers

Weymouth 2 Harriers 1

Date: 19-04-08 Venue: The Wessex Stadium att: 1205 away fans: 128
The great run ends
The Harriers seven game un-beaten run came to an end at Weymouth today.  A defeat that see's us drop a couple of places to eleventh in the table and the home side climb a couple of places to safety after other sides in the relegation spots - Farsley and Altrincham - both lost.

After a goal less first half the Harriers started to turn the screw in the second and went into a deserved lead through a Simon Russell goal.  As in the past we failed to enhance that lead and eventually went down to a badly defended goal from a corner and then one from a goalmouth scramble that saw the ball poked into the net by a player that had only been on the pitch for a few minutes.

We started the game with a few changes to the side with Chris MacKenzie coming back between the sticks in place of Dean Coleman and Mark Creighton returning to the team after his enforced lay-off last week because of infected blisters.  The other change was Paul Bignot replacing Jeff Kenna as the latter was reported to be in Galway Bay looking at his possible future employment.

On the bench for the first time was Jake Moult, a recent loan signing from Plymouth.  Will he finally get a game before he goes back at the end of the season?

The Weymouth manager John Hollins made just one change from the side which defeated Droylsden 2-1 on Tuesday night, with Marcus Browning in for the suspended Mark Convery.

The first period was a one way affair with some dismal weather swirling around the ground although it was the home side that were the first to make their presence felt with a series of corners that the Harriers defence dealt easily enough before we managed to get one for ourselves.  The Weymouth defence dealt with it in the same fashion as we did.

The Harriers were the first to get anything resembling a shot on goal when Russ Penn fired high over an open goal and then Simon Russell went just over with a curling shot from the edge of the area.  Minutes later Iyseden Christie played in Matty Barnes-Homer but Trevor Challis intercepted the ball just before he could get to it.

The Harriers are in full control now and a shot from Andy Ferrell was blocked by Chris Blackburn and then followed up with a shot from MBH that went wide.

Weymouths first attempt on MacKenzies goal came from James Coutts when he collected the ball off Stuart Beavon, took the ball to the edge of the area drawing MacKenzie towards him.  With MacKenzie dummied the striker then shot wide of the open goal.

Weymouth are starting to get into the game more now and Matthew Bailey should have score but couldn't quite connect with the ball as it travelled across the face of the goal.  Bailey then went up for a cross just in front of the Harriers keeper forcing Macca into dropping the ball but luckily for us he recovered just in time to drop onto the loose ball and foil the big striker, on loan from Crewe.

Midway through the half and MacKenzie and Dean Bennett collided after the keeper tried to reach a cross.  With both players comatose on the floor the referee stopped play immediately for treatment.  After around three minutes of treatment both players recovered enough to carry on.

Weymouth were fully in charge of the game now but failed to convert their possession into goals and the half ended all square after early pressure from the Harriers.
HT: 0 - 0
The second half started with Iyseden Christie trying to continue his scoring run by firing just over the bar after Russell set him up with the chance.  MBH achieved similar when he ran onto Russell Penns through ball

Christie went close again minutes later when he latched onto another Russell ball, this time over the defence, but sent it just wide of the post.  Just on the hour the Harriers took the lead.

Barnes-Homer back heeled the ball towards Russell who then took the ball forward to send the ball into the net beyond the reach of the Terras keeper, Henderson.

Immediately Weymouth made a change by taking off Marcus Browning and bringing on Nick Crittenden in an effort to take the game back to the Harriers.  Within ten minutes they had pulled a goal back when a poorly defended corner let them in.

MacKenzie misjudged a cross and only managed to put it out for a corner.  Simon Weatherstone took it and as it came over Chris Blackburn towered above the Harriers static defence to power an un-stoppable header into the back of the net.

Weymouth were now fully back in charge but the Harriers managed to hang on as the home side mount a barrage on the visitors goal.  Stuart Beavon was the dangerman and only a good block by Gavin Hurren stopped him stealing in but no one picks him up minutes later when he sent a header well wide from a deep cross from Coutts.

Weatherstone is the next to try his luck with an effort from well outside the area that Macca easily holds on to and then Beavon gets through once more to have another try but again Hurren blocks the ball just as he shot.

With time running down a draw looks on the cards as the Harriers seem to be holding on.  Darryl Knights comes on for Andy Ferrell but he fails to make any difference and then suddenly the Harriers are on the losing side.

Minutes earlier Stuart Douglas had come on in exchange for Matt Bailey and had already sent a header just wide.  In the ninety first minute of the game he had given them the lead when MacKenzie again dropped a cross in the area and Douglas pounced on the loose ball to force it over the line.

From being in full control of the game the Harriers had gifted Weymouth all three points in their bid to retain their BSq Premier league status.  For us it saw our great mini run come to an end after we had all hoped that we could have finished the season unbeaten.
FT: 2 - 1

 Goals for Weymouth: Beavon 71, Douglas 88
 Goal for Harriers: Russell 61

Vote for your Man of the Match here  
Latest table and stats here  

Weymouth  subs   cards      Harriers  subs   cards 
Henderson     MacKenzie  
Critchell     Bignot  
Challis     Jeannin gif
Browning     Hurren  
Doe     Creighton gif
Coutts     Ferrell  
Blackburn     Russell  
Weatherstone     Barnes-Homer  
Bailey     Christie gif
Beavon     Penn  
Robinson     Bennett  
SUBS:       SUBS:    
Stewart     Coleman  
Crittenden     Moult  
Anzite     Smikle  
J Roberts     McGrath  
Douglas gif   Knights  

Mr I Cooper

Harriers Online @ Facebook

Midland Hydrographics. Proud to support Kidderminster Harriers FC and Harriers Online

Webamaze. Web design for you

Harriers Online forum


Join the KHIST 2020 lottery to raise funds for the club

Help to keep Harriers Online going

Harriers news straight to your desktop
Site © 1999- Harriers Online - all rights reserved  
This site is 100% unofficial and in no way represents the views of Kidderminster Harriers FC