Harriers Online. The wonderful world of Kidderminster Harriers

Weymouth 1 Harriers 2

Date: 20-09-08 Venue: The Wessex Stadium att: 1014 away fans: 110
A win at Weymouth at last
A deflection off Darryl Knights gave the Harriers their first three 'on the road' points at Weymouth today after spending most of the second period under the cosh.  Justin Richards had already scored his sixth goal of the season earlier in the game to equalise but with time running out and the game looking like a draw up popped Knightsy.

For the fifth time in a row the Reds fielded the same starting line-up but this time there was a different look to the bench with Dean Bennett missing and Michael Bowler in his place.  Bowler had been out of the squad since a disastrous showing at Mansfield over a month ago.

With summer back in favour too the game kicked off in bright autumnal sunshine at Weymouth.  After a steady opening first few minutes it was the Harriers who were to show their intentions when a cross from Martin Brittain found Brian Smikle but he could only head the ball back across the face of the Weymouth goal.

Weymouth responded with Cameron Mawer sending in a cross that both Michael Malcolm and Pierre Joseph-Dubois had a crack at but both times Mark Creighton cleared their attempts away to safety.  Suddenly Weymouth seem to be getting on top after early Harriers pressure and the inevitable happened when they score the first goal of the afternoon.

Again some poor defending is to blame as a long goal kick beats the Harriers offside trap to allow Dubois the room to go forward with the ball and slot it past Adam Bartlett.  Not to worry though because it's not too long before Justin Richards pulls a goal back for us.

He collected the ball well outside the box and, with the home team also demonstrating some poor defending, he strolled past them and fired the ball beyond Richie Barnard to draw us level.

Weymouth weren't going to sit back and allow us to score again and a chance fell almost from the re-start for Ryan Williams to get his side back in front when he powered into the box but just as he set himself up to shoot Russ Penn intervened to put the ball out for a corner.  Dubois had a header go just over the bar and then he played in Williams again but this time the diminutive injury prone winger was fractionally offside.

The home side continued to batter the Harriers defence for the remainder of the half with just the one great chance for us when Brittain crossed to the far post, Luke Jones headed it back and Richards volleyed over. An even better chance fell for Malcolm when he contrived to miss an open goal.

Bartlett uncharacteristically dropped the ball after catching a routine cross and Chris McPhee rushed in to send it back towards the goal.  For reasons known only to himself Malcolm tried to help it on it's way and only managed to send the ball the wrong side of the post to the dis-belief of everyone in the ground.

So the half ended all square and set us up nicely to go on and win the game.
HT: 1 - 1
Weymouth started the second half with a substitution when they replaced the injured defender, Santos Gaia, with Sam Cutler.  They also started the stronger side once more.

Only improved defending and good goalkeeping from Bartlett was stopping them from taking the lead once more.  Luke Jones blocked a shot from Dubois in the 49th minute and then a great save from the keeper saw Dubois' fine strike pushed around the post for a corner.

On the hour Mark Yates made his first substitution of the day when Darryl Knights was sent on in place of Brian Smikle.

Luke Jones came to our rescue again when he headed a goalbound header from Scott Doe off the line and then Bartlett athletically tipped over Malcolm's chip in the 77th minute.  From the corner the ball went to Chris McPhee but again Bartlett saved well by blocking his volley.

We finally got a look in when Matt Barnes-Homer set up Richards with a chance but the goalscorer was slow to react and the chance passed him by.

Yates then made another change by taking off Brittain and replacing him with 'Diddy' David McDermott.

With the clock now running down and Weymouth running out of ideas the Harriers grabbed a last minute winner.  A scramble in the area left Russ Penn injured on the floor but the referee let play continue even though the Weymouth players thought that he would stop the game.  The ball was cleared, but only as far as the edge of the area, for McDermott to play the ball back in again to Knights who then shot weakly but enough to take a deflection that deceived the keeper and rolled into the net.

Seconds later the final whistle went to mark the Harriers first win at Weymouth since 1986 and also to send us up to 7th place in the table.  On Tuesday evening we welcome York City and Simon Russell to Aggborough.  Another three points would be sweet.
FT: 1 - 2

 Goal for Weymouth: Joseph-Dubois 15
 Goals for Harriers: Richards 22, Knights 90

Vote for your Man of the Match here  
Latest table and stats here  

Weymouth  subs   cards      Harriers  subs   cards 
Barnard     Bartlett  
Mawer gif   Lowe  
Sandwith     Baker gif
Malcolm     Ferrell  
Doe     Creighton  
Gaia     Jones  
McPhee     Brittain  
Robinson     Smikle  
Joseph-Dubois     Barnes-Homer  
Reed     Penn  
Williams     Richards  
SUBS:       SUBS:    
Knowles     Coleman  
Coutts     Knights  
Ironside     Foley  
Webb     Bowler  
Cutler gif   McDermott  

Mr B Malone

Harriers Online @ Facebook

Midland Hydrographics. Proud to support Kidderminster Harriers FC and Harriers Online

Webamaze. Web design for you

Harriers Online forum


Join the KHIST 2020 lottery to raise funds for the club

Help to keep Harriers Online going

Harriers news straight to your desktop
Site © 1999- Harriers Online - all rights reserved  
This site is 100% unofficial and in no way represents the views of Kidderminster Harriers FC