Harriers Online. The wonderful world of Kidderminster Harriers

        HOME    FORUM
You have arrived at an archived page.
Please use one of the links to the left to reach either the current website or the Harriers Chatter forum.
Thank you.

York City 0 Harriers 0


Date: 28-03-09gif Venue: The Kit Kat Crescentgif att: 2384gif away fans: 171
No last minute goal this time
For the seventh game in a row the Harriers kept the doors firmly shut against the opposition and more or less denied York City a clear shot on goal.  Sadly we also failed to score for the first time since Salisbury away a few weeks ago and so recorded only our second goalless draw of the season.  There was no last minute goal from Chris McPhee to send the fans crazy at the end of this dour game.

We also started with the first change to the side in weeks when Lee Baker failed to make the starting eleven and so Craig Armstrong came back for his first appearance since the end of his suspension two weeks ago.  The bench remained the same as in previous games.

In windy conditions that were something akin to the galeforce winds at Wrexham last Monday the Harriers took the game to the hosts right from the off.  The pressure almost reaped it's dividends in the ninth minute of the game when Matt Barnes-Homer ran onto Darryl Knights' through ball and sent in a shot that beat the keeper but came back at him off the post and Ingham dropped on it gratefully.

MBH had another chance soon after but that went wide as the Harriers took control of the game without really making the breakthrough near goal.  Darryl Knights also had a shot on goal that was well saved by the City keeper just before they finally managed their first shot on goal when Daniel McBreen's effort from 20 yards out went well wide of Adam Bartlett's goal.

Craig Armstrong gave us our first setback of the day when he was caught out for pace as Onome Sodje made his way down the touchline.  Armstrong, just back from suspension, hacked him down and was lucky not to find himself red carded again with just a yellow being shown.

Russ Penn had a shot on goal that went wide of it's target just before the City striker Richard Brodie also found himself in the referees notebook after a callous challenge on Chris McPhee that should have seen a red card awarded instead.

With the end of the first half approaching the Reds continued their assault on Inghams goal when McPhee headed wide from a Darryl Knights corner.  York also had a chance to go into the break in the lead but Brodie's shot was wasted and he sent it across the face of the goal instead for Mark Creighton to clear away to safety.
HT: 0 - 0
The second period of the game was disappointing from our point of view because we failed to build on our first half superiority.  Dean Bennett saw a long range shot blocked by Simon Rusk but then we had a goal ruled out for offside after Darryl Knights had converted from McPhees' neat lay off.

We then went under the cosh for a while as York stepped up their game and went in search of a goal.  Sodje was denied when Bartlett got to the ball first and then the Harriers keeper saved a shot from the same man that was hit hard and low.

In the sixty fifth minute Darryl Knights was withdrawn and replaced by Martin Brittain in an effort to give us more penetration out wide.  It was Brittain's cross that supplied Russ Penn with a chance to score from a header at the far post but it was well saved by Ingham.

City then made a couple of quick changes by bringing on Mark Greaves for Simon Rusk and then the former Harrier Simon Brown for McBreen.  Soon after that Mark Yates responded with another substitution for us as on came Brian Smikle in place of Russ Penn.

A tense moment came just afterwards when Craig Armstrong was forced to head the ball over our goal but from the resulting corner Sodje did exactly the same and also headed it over.

With time running out it was looking likely that the game would be ending all square and goal less as City bought on David McGurk, a defender, for striker Levi Mackin.  That move was City signalling their intention of settling for the point.

It didn't seem to stop us though as we, in turn, went in search of the winning goal.  Brian Smikle saw his shot go wide and then Brittain saw his curling shot blocked on the line.  Chris McPhee picked up a yellow card - the seventh card issued by the official today - after upending Sodje and then in the final seconds Keith Lowe sent his header just over the bar to call the game to an end.

We face Woking away on Wednesday and will be hoping to do a bit better than today against a side we thrashed 3-0 only a few weeks ago.
FT: 0 - 0

Vote for your Man of the Match here  
Latest table and stats here  

York City  subs   cards      Harriers  subs   cards 
Ingham     Bartlett  
Purkiss     Lowe  
Robinson     Armstrong
Pejic     McPhee
Rusk gif     Creighton  
Parslow     Riley  
Sodje     Bennett
Mackin gif   Knights gif  
McBreen gif     Barnes-Homer  
McWilliams   Penn gif  
Brodie   Richards  
SUBS:       SUBS:    
McGurk gif     Brittain gif  
Brown gif   Jones  
Russell     Carr  
Greaves gif     Moore  
Boyes     Smikle gif  

Mr A Halliday

Harriers Online @ Facebook

Midland Hydrographics. Proud to support Kidderminster Harriers FC and Harriers Online

Webamaze. Web design for you

Harriers Online forum


Join the KHIST 2020 lottery to raise funds for the club

Help to keep Harriers Online going

Harriers news straight to your desktop
Site © 1999- Harriers Online - all rights reserved  
This site is 100% unofficial and in no way represents the views of Kidderminster Harriers FC