Harriers Online. The wonderful world of Kidderminster Harriers

News Line
Date: 22-04-2010 gif Harriers win the big trophy at last
After 'eight years of hurt', © Soupy, the Harriers finally got to putting the Worcester Senior Cup safely into the Aggborough trophy cabinet after seeing off Halesowen Town tonight.

In previous years we have always played a weakened team that have no heart in the game but tonight a strong side was put out that wanted to win.  Chris McPhee was one such player and had to travel up from Devon for the game - something that may not have happened a few weeks ago.

Also lining up at the start was Marcus Bignot and also Dean Coleman who was returning from a groin operation performed some time ago.  It was thought that he wouldn't have played again this season but with two games left he squeezed this one in and could also feature at Mansfield on Saturday and following a number of errors from Jas Singh in recent games that could almost be a certainty.  Halesowen had a couple of former Harriers playing for them tonight with Scott Rickards starting while their manager, Matt Clarke, a former Harrier from the Allner years was on the bench.  39 goal Stefan Moore was no where to be seen.

The goal less first half saw the Harriers coming the closest to scoring with a chance for Dean Bennett early doors when his shot whistled over the crossbar.  Deano had a similar chance minutes later and that also followed the same route over the bar and then Towns Sam Gaughran diverted the ball over his own goal after a shot from Lee Baker almost went in.

Town appealed for a penalty when Aaron Griffiths appeared to be bundled over in the area but the referee waved his protests away before Lloyd Kerry finished a break away by sending in a shot that curled around keeper Nick Busseys goal.  Griffiths was later ironically booked for a tackle on Bignot.

The half ended with another booking for the visitors.  This time for Henry Eze following a push on Kerry.

Ten minutes into the second period and the Harriers opened the scoring with a goal from James Lawrie.  Marc Goodfellow sent a low cross over and the loanee from Port Vale connected with it enough to send it into the net.  Minutes later we had doubled the lead and bought the trophy home.

Brian Smikle collected the ball out wide and headed towards goal.  His shot took a bit of a deflection and left Bussey wrong footed as it went in.

The Harriers seemed happy to just contain any threat that Halesowen could pose after that and the whistle finally went on the game and the Harriers victorious with our only bit of silverware in a long, long time.

Coleman, Bignot, Sharpe, McPhee, Baker, Smikle (Knights), Bennett, Kerry, Goodfellow, Lawrie, Matthews.

Subs not used:
Singh, Courtney, Riley, Prosser.

Halesowen: Bussey, Turner, Gaughran (Hood), Daly, Eze, Denny, Cowley (Morley), Rickards, Smith (Osborne), Fowler, Griffiths.

Subs not used:
Bradley, Clarke.

Att: 454

Harriers Online @ Facebook

Midland Hydrographics. Proud to support Kidderminster Harriers FC and Harriers Online

Webamaze. Web design for you

Harriers Online forum


Join the KHIST 2020 lottery to raise funds for the club

Help to keep Harriers Online going

Harriers news straight to your desktop
Site © 1999- Harriers Online - all rights reserved  
This site is 100% unofficial and in no way represents the views of Kidderminster Harriers FC