Harriers Online. The wonderful world of Kidderminster Harriers

Crawley Town 2 Harriers 2


Date:23-01-10gif Venue: Broadfield Stadiumgif att: 800gif away fans: 93
Steve Burr starts off with a draw

gifReport by Philip Lench
Steve Burrs first game in charge of the Harriers could have ended in disaster following two terrible mistakes by Dean Coleman that gifted goals for Crawley but thankfully he was saved by his righthand man and his captain.  John Finnigan popped up with his first goal for the Harriers and late on in the game Chris McPhee saved our blushes with a well taken, but deflected, goal.

Dean Bennett was missing with a groin injury and Aaron Farrell was missing completely and so could have been a victim of the flu bug that Robbie Matthews was suffering from in the Lewes game.  Finnigan came on in place of Benno, Damian Spencer played instead of Farrell and Kyle Hadley came back to the bench hoping to get his first game since coming back from a groin operation.

It only took three minutes to show that it wasn't going to be Colemans day when a mis-hit goal kick fell into the path of Barry Cogan.  Thankfully Cogan was shepherded away from goal by Duane Courtney but it only took another ten minutes before bad luck really did strike.

Crawley played a ball into the area but to no-one in particular so, in comparative safety, Gavin Caines headed it back towards Coleman.  The Harriers keeper came to collect the ball and then looked away and fumbled it into the path of the goal hanging Charles Adememo.  The highly rated striker didn't spurn the chance and took the ball around Coleman and into an empty net.

We almost gave a second goal away just moments later when the defence found themselves in each others way and almost allowed Michael Malcolm a free shot on goal but Chris McPhee was there to clear it away to safety.

Up until ten minutes from the break the Harriers continued to look out of sorts and struggled to find any kind of formation that would suit them against a very fast Crawley front line.  Eventually they did start to get back into the game when Brian Smikle whipped a cross over that deceived everyone apart from Sam Rents who managed to block the ball on the line and boot it away up field.

Damian Spencer followed that up with a good effort low down that took the Town keeper, Simon Rayner, by surprise and he spilled it towards Smikle but Rents got back just in time to do enough to put Smikle off.

The half finished with an improvement from us but it hadn't been enough to pull a goal back.  It was going to need a halftime pep talk by the new manager to point out just where we were going wrong.
  HT: 1 - 0
It must have been something that Burr had said because within munutes of the re-start we had drawn level.

Duane Courtney sent a ball into the area and a Crawley defender somehow managed to deflect it into the path of Finnigan.  He fired in a low shot from the corner of the area that flew past Rayner and then ricocheted off both posts before ending up in the back of the net.

The game burst into life and we saw a shot from Spencer go skimming across the face of the goal and Crawley had a chance of their own too when a great save by Dean Coleman stopped Thomas Pinault's long range effort from going in.  The result of this flurry of activity ended up in the hosts favour when they increased the lead from another Dean Coleman mistake.

No sooner had he made a great save than he undid all the good work by dropping a shot from Ademeno into the path of Barry Cogan.  The Crawley striker made no mistake from just a few yards out and rifled the ball home.

A few minutes later we made our first substitution and bought on Kyle Hadley for the under performing Matthews.  Robbie was probably still feeling the effects of the flu that he had been stricken with four days earlier.

Again Coleman made another error when coming to collect a shot from Ademeno and spilled it once more but luckily for him it went out for a corner.  Malcolm ran onto the corner when it was played in but somehow managed to send his shot way over the bar.  Crawley went through a spate of corners after that but failed to do much with any of them.

Kyle Hadley almost celebrated his comeback with a goal when he hit a terrific shot towards goal.  It stung the hands of the keeper trying to stop it from going in.

Fifteen minutes from the end Steve Burr sent on Nathan Hayward in place of Darryl Knights and within minutes we had finally drawn level once more with a goal from Chris McPhee.  Chris found himself in acres of space out wide and started to make his way towards goal.  The home defenders all stood off him so he advanced further then struck a shot that took a deflection and wrong footed the keeper as it entered into the net.

Minutes later the whistle blew for full time and the first point in Steve Burrs new career as the Harriers manager.  Now that he's seen us play properly he'll know what will need to be done against Grays on Tuesday evening.  It'll be interesting to see if Jasbir Singh gets to play.
  FT: 2 - 2

 Goals for Crawley: Ademeno 13, Cogan 63
 Goals for Harriers: Finnigan 49, McPhee 85

Vote for your Man of the Match here  
Latest table and stats here  

Crawley Town  subs   cards      Harriers  subs   cards 
Rayner     Coleman  
Rusk     Courtney  
Rents     Baker  
Hutchinson     Finnigan  
Wilson     Caines  
Cogan     Riley
Quinn     McPhee  
Ademeno gif     Smikle  
Malcolm     Spencer  
Pinault     Knights gif  
Smith     Matthews gif  
SUBS:       SUBS:    
Jordan     Singh  
Giles     Hayward gif  
Forrest gif     Sharpe  
Killeen     Dolman  
Willock     Hadley gif  

Mr B Malone

Harriers Online @ Facebook

Midland Hydrographics. Proud to support Kidderminster Harriers FC and Harriers Online

Webamaze. Web design for you

Harriers Online forum


Join the KHIST 2020 lottery to raise funds for the club

Help to keep Harriers Online going

Harriers news straight to your desktop
Site © 1999- Harriers Online - all rights reserved  
This site is 100% unofficial and in no way represents the views of Kidderminster Harriers FC