Harriers Online. The wonderful world of Kidderminster Harriers

News Line
Date: 17-07-2010 gif Nuneaton inflict another defeat on us
Nuneaton Town 3 Harriers 2

The Harriers crashed to their third friendly defeat in a week and again the opposition put three goals past us to make you wonder if our defence may be slightly suspect.  This time it was Nuneaton Town that put paid to the days hopes of a first win.

We had just the two new triallists this time out with Connor Franklin formerly having played for the hosts and a striker named Kevin Holsgrove who used to be on Everton's books but played for Hyde Utd last season.  Unlike last Tuesday, when we played Solihull Moors, Gavin Caines wasn't included in the side.

We were the first to make any impression on the game when Tom Sharpe sent a header whistling towards the former Stafford Rangers keeper Danny Alcock but the Town man held onto it easily enough.  A few minutes later it was Holsgroves turn to test Alcock and this time the keeper got up well to tip the ball over the crossbar.

Nuneaton should have taken the lead midway through the half when Danny Lewis pulled off a good save from Lee Moore and then just before halftime the Harriers triallist centre forward, Paul Connor, should have put us in front with a strong header from a Dave Hankin cross that he headed over but seconds later he did manage to convert his chance.

Keith Briggs got to the byeline to put the ball into the area where Holsgrove met it with a firm strike that came back off the post into the path of Connor who returned a header past Alcock for the opening goal.  The lead wasn't to last long though and within a minute the home side at drawn back level with a fine strike from Justin Marsden that went just beyond the reach of Lewis.

HT: Nuneaton Town 1 Harriers 1:

Keith Briggs could have helped put the game beyond Towns reach after only just five minutes of the first half with a double barrelled chance.  First his shot was pushed away by Alcock and then when Briggs followed it up his header hit the bar and away to safety.

Halfway through the half it was Town who were to take the lead, but not for long, with Danny Spencer putting the ball into the net.  We drew level this time with a goal at last for Briggs, following his earlier double effort, when he got on the end of a Michael Briscoe cross to power a great ball into the back of the net.

Ten minutes before the end of the game the hosts took the lead once more and this time hung on to win the game.  Adam Walker was allowed to get a cross in and it was met by Tom Bates who sent the ball above Lewis and into the net.

With time running out, and the Harriers unable to get a goal back, disaster struck James McPike when he fell badly and was stretchered off with a suspected twisted knee.  The referee called an end to the game and once more the Harriers went home having had another three goals put past them.

FT: Nuneaton Town 3 Harriers 2:


Danny Lewis, Lee Vaughan (Michael Briscoe 55), Connor Franklin, Tom Sharpe, Tom Shaw, (Chris McPhee 45) Mark Albrighton, Dave Hankin (Matty Blair 58), Keith Briggs, Paul Connor (James McPike 58), Kevin Holsgrove (Callum Gittings 73), Jack Byrne.

Unused sub: Andy Stevens.


Danny Alcock (Danny Acton 71), Matty Collins (Rob Oddy 71), Simon Forsdick (Eddie Misevic 71), Ross Aulton (Adam Walker 45), Wayne Daniel (Guy Hadland 55), Jimmy Turner (Stuart Pierpoint 55), Justin Marsden (Tom Bates 55), Kyle Storer, Chris Dillon (John Stevenson 66), Lee Moore (Tom Berwick 71), Aden Moore (Danny Spencer 45).

Harriers Online @ Facebook

Midland Hydrographics. Proud to support Kidderminster Harriers FC and Harriers Online

Webamaze. Web design for you

Harriers Online forum


Join the KHIST 2020 lottery to raise funds for the club

Help to keep Harriers Online going

Harriers news straight to your desktop
Site © 1999- Harriers Online - all rights reserved  
This site is 100% unofficial and in no way represents the views of Kidderminster Harriers FC