Harriers Online. The wonderful world of Kidderminster Harriers

Wrexham 0 Harriers 0


Date: 08-03-14gif Venue: Glyndwr University Racecourse Stadiumgif att: 3159gif away fans: 289
Garys Harriers stop the rot

gif Report by Phil Lench
Gary Whilds first game in charge of the Harriers saw the Reds travel the comparative short distance to Wrexham today and come back with a credible scoreless draw.  If Anthony Malbon had buried his shot that had been returned back to him from a header off the line and Amari Morgan-Smith had taken his chance when he found himself clear and just the keeper to beat but shot it straight at him, in the closing minutes of the first half, then it would have been a result that was more reflective of the game that the lack of a scoreline suggests.

Gary started the game by returning Danny Lewis, Mickey Demetriou and Callum Gittings to the main eleven; two players that were sorely missed at Cambridge last weekend.  Also out through injury was Chey Dunkley and Jamie Grimes came in to cover for him.  There was no place at all for two of Andy Thorns signings, Santiago Aloi and Freddie Ladapo while Josh O'Keefe was on the bench alongside Amari Bell who signed for the club on Thursday. The first half of the game was a far from an exciting spectacle for either set of fans and chances were at a minimum.  Fluid passing was also conspicuous by it's absence too.  Adrian Cieslewicz was the one catching the eye early doors with some pacy movement trying to unlock against his old Wrexham defencive team mates.

The host had a couple of chances to open the scoring, without ever looking all that menacing, through former Harrier Andy Bishop and then a long range effort, easily saved by Danny Lewis, from Mark Carrington.  Our first chance of the game came via Amari Morgan-Smith with a shot that went wide of Andy Coughlins goal.

Midway through the half Kyle Storer and Jay Harris tangled with both of them crashing to the floor in a bundle.  Both were pulling at each other but when they both got to their feet the referee booked just Storer and that now takes him up to ten bookings for the season so he'll miss the next two games at home to Macclesfield on Tuesday and Barnet next Saturday.

The worst miss of the first have was reserved for Danny Jackman when he blazed a shot over the bar from the edge of the area.  Actually it went out of the ground be we won't mention that.

Soon after came the previously mentioned chances for Malbon and AMS and the half ended with both sides level and everything to play for.  We had shaded the possession and just a small amount of tweaking in the second period could well see us score.

  HT: 0 - 0
With the 289 Harriers fans in good voice the second half kicked off with Jamie Grimes coming to the rescue by stopping Mark Carrington from getting a shot away.  Callum Gittings blazed a chance over the bar from an excellent cross from Cieslewicz and then Malbon, looking slightly off the pace sharpness wise, forced a good save from the keeper.

Cieslewicz was now in his element and prompting the Harriers forward more and more.  You would have thought that his old mates would have known how to deal with him but at times he was leaving the old timers for dead with crosses into the box for Malbon and AMS to get on the end of.  It came as something of a surprise when Whild took him off later in the game and replaced him with Marvin Johnson when everyone was expecting the out of sorts Morgan-Smith to be the one pulled.

Seconds later though it was AMS that almost scored when Josh Gowling played the ball across the line from a free kick and AMS was there to sweep the ball into the net.  Sadly it wasn't to be due to the linesman declaring him offside.

The Harriers were now well in charge of the game and Wrexham were beginning to get frustrated that chances weren't coming their way.  Tackles were flying in and leaving Harriers player after Harriers player in a heap on the floor.  Andy Bishop had already been booked earlier in the half and when he committed a similar offence again the red card came out instantly as he found himself marching off the pitch for the second time against us this season.

With time now running out we started to apply the pressure further and another chance to win the game came from Malbon when he forced another great, one handed, save from Coughlin.  Definitely the best save of the game and a star performance from the Wrexham man.

The game came to an end with just the one chance for Wrexham to sneak it at the death when Brett Ormerod, on earlier for Joe Anyinsah, almost lobbed Danny Lewis when he spotted him off his line.

This was a game that could have seen all three points come the Harriers way if we had been just a little sharper in front of goal.  We were definitely missing Michael Gash to put the half chances away because today both AMS and Malbon looked a little jaded in the first half although in the second Malbs did perk up a bit.  Sadly AMS didn't but maybe he's saving himself for the visit of his former team Macclesfield this coming Tuesday evening.
  FT: 0 - 0

The Harriers Online MotM is:

gif Jamie Grimes

Vote for your Man of the Match here  
Latest table and stats here  

Wrexham  goals   subs   cards      Harriers  goals   subs   cards 
Coughlin     Lewis  
Wright     L Vaughan  
Ashton   Demetriou  
Tomassen   Storer
Livesey     Grimes  
Keates   Gowling  
Hunt gif     Gittings  
Harris     Jackman gif  
Bishop   Morgan-Smith
Anyinsah gif     Malbon  
Carrington     Cieslewicz  
SUBS:         SUBS:      
Mayebi     N Vaughan  
Evans     Johnson gif - 85  
Ormerod gif - 77   O'Keefe gif - 63  
Ogleby gif - 70     Rowe  
Artell     Bell  

Mr P Bankes

Harriers Online @ Facebook

Midland Hydrographics. Proud to support Kidderminster Harriers FC and Harriers Online

Webamaze. Web design for you

Harriers Online forum


Join the KHIST 2020 lottery to raise funds for the club

Help to keep Harriers Online going

Harriers news straight to your desktop
Site © 1999- Harriers Online - all rights reserved  
This site is 100% unofficial and in no way represents the views of Kidderminster Harriers FC