Ironside off to Stevenage

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

indecision
Subs bench
Subs bench

Re: Ironside off to Stevenage

Post by indecision » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:59 pm

Slight shame if he does leave, certainly not irreplaceable though.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:26 pm

Mayo wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:47 pm
Is the link not just chatter on a messageboard? Has Ironside actually gone anywhere?

Nothing on our site?
I think that is par for the course, the news always breaks some where else first.
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:29 pm

Harry Aire wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:44 pm
Something odd about this. If the deal was done by yesterday, why was he playing for us last night? Similar point about Horsfall. Clubs don't usually like their new players risking injury with another club.

As for disappointment, I sympathise with my fellow S/T holder. This has become a pretty awful start to ma season. However, I would suggest that the real error is in going into print claiming we have a stable side. There is no stability at this level. We are a selling club vulnerable to all predators. Or to put it another way, we're just a stepping-stone to most of these players and they can't be blamed for that. Things have certainly changed since the days when Brindley, Weir, Ocker, etc etc were there season after season - and I don't think those days'll ever come back.
I am with you on this Harry Aire as I noted a little earlier talk of Horsfall also leaving having attracted interest from QPR and Wolves. Quality players at this level will attract interest from Clubs higher up the pyramid unless like Fylde you pay your star striker huge weekly wages that few if any would match.

At the tail end of last season many I believe felt we had built within the season a squad that would challenge for promotion and perhaps with a couple more quality additions we might even challenge for the title outright. The announcement of players signing up for next season boosted those thoughts but our success in certain areas of the field have been seen by others who have stepped in to offer better deals to some of those players. We have seen N'Gwatala, Sanoupe, Croasdale, McQuilkin, Pearson as key players from the squad that finished the season leave and now the focus turns to Ironside which frankly is hardly surprising as our leading scorer. Effectively 4 and possibly 5 players of a potential starting 11 will have gone by the time we run out at the Impact Arena to take on Alfreton. By any standards that is a substantial diminution of what we perhaps expected when the player contracts and signings we made a couple of months ago.

Of course replacements have been brought in but we are unsure whether they will match up to those we have lost and of course whilst we had a team that was well integrated we now have a few games in which to get the new personnel to gel into the team which in itself does not always work out as hoped. It is a time for some worries as to whether it will work out or not and the quality of players leaving adds to the concern that we may be placing at serious risk the need to gain promotion back to the Premier as the first step to realising CGs dream.

The dream will not be realised if we remain in NLN but one thing is for sure the longer we stay in the NLN the fainter will become the chances of the dream being realised.

At least this time around we will receive some transfer fee income as players are contracted to us unlike last season when even that compensation for a player moving on was pretty much lost.

I recall CG saying a year or so back that 30% of the funds received from player transfers would be re-invested into the playing budget - sadly not 100% but the Club is burdened with a substantial debt to CGs Company which needs to repaid I believe part in the issue of new shares but also supplemented by a substantial amount of cash.

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:33 pm

Mayo wrote:
Is the link not just chatter on a messageboard? Has Ironside actually gone anywhere?

Nothing on our site?
No smoke without fire.

They're the only fans out of 100 or so clubs that are claiming to be signing him. Must be an element of truth in it somewhere.

PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:34 pm

Phil wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:33 pm
Mayo wrote:

Nothing on our site?
No smoke without fire.

They're the only fans out of 100 or so clubs that are claiming to be signing him. Must be an element of truth in it somewhere.
So you haven't seen the forum of another club who claim to be signing him?

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:37 pm

No Pirate. Who's is it?

pb12345
1st team
1st team

Post by pb12345 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:07 pm

I can't believe there's a thread about this. A "rumour" from a typical bull#%%# Twitter handle. Twitter is so full of this twaddle. Danny Rowe was supposedly signing for X y Z 2 or three times last season....

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:35 am

From the Shuttle:
Meanwhile, the manager reiterated his desire to keep his squad together amid rumours that striker Joe Ironside is interesting League Two outfit Stevenage.

He said: "Joe Ironside did well last season and you have to expect other teams to be interested but I want to make it clear that I really don't want to lose anymore players now.

"I've been working with the group for a while and they know what to expect from me. I want to add a couple of players in certain areas so that we're ready for the season rather than losing anyone."

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:56 am

Phil wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:35 am
From the Shuttle:
Meanwhile, the manager reiterated his desire to keep his squad together amid rumours that striker Joe Ironside is interesting League Two outfit Stevenage.

He said: "Joe Ironside did well last season and you have to expect other teams to be interested but I want to make it clear that I really don't want to lose anymore players now.

"I've been working with the group for a while and they know what to expect from me. I want to add a couple of players in certain areas so that we're ready for the season rather than losing anyone."
Sounds like NM is putting a marker down - "hands off my players" - good on him, the more I see of our manager the more I like !!

Just hope CG is on the same page.
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Jasper
1st team
1st team

Post by Jasper » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:39 am

Just hope Joe is as well. The new manager certainly has my backing and let's hope his ideas flow successfully into the new season. It all seems very refreshing at the moment. Only time will tell.

PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:49 am

Phil wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:37 pm
No Pirate. Who's is it?
It will spoil the fun if I told you :wall:

PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:51 am

redandwhitemike wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:56 am
Phil wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:35 am
From the Shuttle:

Sounds like NM is putting a marker down - "hands off my players" - good on him, the more I see of our manager the more I like !!

Just hope CG is on the same page.
For once I agree with you, don't worry it won't happen again. :wall:

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:44 am

Wouldn't it be nice if a player, his manager and the owner of the club were all on the same page and decided you know what I want to play for Harriers and achieve success with this club and in time I/he will be playing against the very club that want's to poach his services :shock:

Maybe just maybe in NM we have a manger who will instil such loyalty ?

You never know,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:18 pm

Someone said on Facebook that they'd spoken to CG after Burton and he'd said it was nonsense.

The thing is, until they make an official approach CG and NM will say that won't they. They don't want to invite an offer.
IF the offer comes then its difficult for us as we will present it to the player unless the fee is derisory. Its rubbish but if a league club comes in and the player really wants to leave then 9 times out of 10 they will leave. Loyalty? A young lad with a family and short career will find it very difficult not to take a chance on a league offer at a club they can expect to play/fight to play.

NM is right - we need to get some more quality in. The league isn't getting any easier. Lots of sides fancy their chances this season.

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:37 pm

Sheffield Harrier wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:18 pm
Someone said on Facebook that they'd spoken to CG after Burton and he'd said it was nonsense.

The thing is, until they make an official approach CG and NM will say that won't they. They don't want to invite an offer.
IF the offer comes then its difficult for us as we will present it to the player unless the fee is derisory. Its rubbish but if a league club comes in and the player really wants to leave then 9 times out of 10 they will leave. Loyalty? A young lad with a family and short career will find it very difficult not to take a chance on a league offer at a club they can expect to play/fight to play.

NM is right - we need to get some more quality in. The league isn't getting any easier. Lots of sides fancy their chances this season.
Agree Sheff except even if the fee is derisory and the player wants to leave it is likely to still happen as when the club turns it down then the player who is aware of the interest puts in a transfer request or refuses to play for the Club he is contracted to or becomes a disruptive element to get his move. Isn't that why some clubs put a minimum transfer fee into a players contract so a derisory offer can be turned down easily without the player getting wound up. As for loyalty it has a cash value on both sides.