Ed Williams

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

jim mankey
1st team
1st team

Re: Ed Williams

Post by jim mankey » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:06 pm

Cal's Spongebag wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:42 pm
Amazes me that people can doubt CG's ability to manage contracts.

Whether you like him or not, you don't become an agent for some of the top names without knowing what you are doing.
One of my customers was involved in giving financial advice to Theo Walcott a few years ago, CG's company were Theo's agents at the time I'm told. My customers comments about Colin's agency were "they did things the right way".

PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:07 pm

pershoreharrier wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:46 pm
Cal's Spongebag wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:42 pm
Amazes me that people can doubt CG's ability to manage contracts.

Whether you like him or not, you don't become an agent for some of the top names without knowing what you are doing.
Indeed Cal - I have been waiting to see the player transfer money roll in with a professional agent at the helm and to be honest I am surprised to have seen such modest success in that area of the business.

The previous amateurs under the guidance of and with the assistance others pulled of some astonishing deals whether it was the transfer of Joe Lolley, Jamille Matt and several others which brought very large sums into the Club.

Perhaps it will all come to pass in the next year or so?
Is that the same amateurs that sacked Steve Burr and replaced him with Andy Thorne?

Medieval
1st team
1st team

Post by Medieval » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:10 pm

Great news.

If he continues as he is now playing, any thought`s of him being here in 12 months will be wide of the mark, in fairness to him.

aberred
1st team
1st team

Post by aberred » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:17 pm

Those amateurs also brought the club crashing to its knees, with the main man jumping ship when the going go tough and he couldn’t handle the consequences of his decision to sack Steve Burr.

My thoughts are that if CG was in charge instead of Serrell then we would’ve got just as good, if not better fees for the likes of Joe and Jamille, but also we would never have sacked Burr or been lumbered with the contract’s that hamstrung us for so long. We’d have also got a significantly better deal for Marvin as well.

jim mankey
1st team
1st team

Post by jim mankey » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:41 pm

aberred wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:17 pm
Those amateurs also brought the club crashing to its knees, with the main man jumping ship when the going go tough and he couldn’t handle the consequences of his decision to sack Steve Burr.

My thoughts are that if CG was in charge instead of Serrell then we would’ve got just as good, if not better fees for the likes of Joe and Jamille, but also we would never have sacked Burr or been lumbered with the contract’s that hamstrung us for so long. We’d have also got a significantly better deal for Marvin as well.
I would hope that CG would have held back from selling Joe Lolley before a 4th round FA Cup tie against a struggling Sunderland side. Ludicrous decision to take the money and run. Think of the money the club could have made if we'd have either won the game or even drawn.

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:48 pm

aberred wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:17 pm

They did indeed aberred and they certainly did make a mess of things when they had received very substantial income from player transfers. You may well be right that we might have got a better deal for Marvin as well but you slightly miss out on two points.

1. The transfer fees brought in were very very substantial and we have yet to see that under the current regime although I would expect it to develop with a professional in charge.

2. The last Board that took the Club to the brink also had CG as a Board Member - so some element of responsibility should lay with him - however, stepping in to take the Club over and inject the funds necessary to avoid the collapse of the Club has to be acknowledged even if it was done as a business venture and not as an emotional gesture for which no criticism is implied. A business on the point of failure was taken over by a Board Member who has made no secret of his intention to make it a sustainable business success.

aberred
1st team
1st team

Post by aberred » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:34 pm

Regarding the transfer fees; being a league below, to me means that unless we get promoted then we’d do very well to match those Lolley/Matt fees. If we go up, and Ed Williams stays with us next season but continues to deliver like he has, then I think we’ll see a fee to match. For now, it’s very unlikely a tier 6 player will get close to that.

CG has done very well in getting good deals with Maxwell, Croasdale etc. The Arthur/Elton situation was always going to be tough, but what can you do when a player doesn’t sign a new contract. But the option that we have on Ed’s deal is probably an example of us learning from that situation.
Last edited by aberred on Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

spitalfields
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by spitalfields » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:44 am

aberred wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:34 pm
Regarding the transfer fees; being a league below, to me means that unless we get promoted then we’d do very well to match those Lolley/Matt fees. If Ed Williams stays with us next season but continues to deliver like he has, then I think we’ll see a fee to match. For now, it’s very unlikely a tier 6 player will get close to that.

CG has done very well in getting good deals with Maxwell, Croasdale etc. The Arthur/Elton situation was always going to be tough, but what can you do when a player doesn’t sign a new contract. But the option that we have on Ed’s deal is probably an example of us learning from that situation.
This sums up my thoughts very well. I don't know what the average fee is for a Tier 6 player, but I am pretty sure it's less than for a Tier 5 player. It doesn't matter how good a player is or has potential to be, it's more an indication of the greater level of risk taken by the buying club in buying an unproven player at their level.

The JM situation was helped considerably by a very special set of circumstances that led to the player agreeing a new contract a couple of weeks before moving on. That sort of thing very rarely happens and if, as I am led to believe, that was a gesture from the player to recognise the support he had been given during difficult personal circumstances, then it shows a level of integrity that is depressingly rare these days.

There is also a huge element of good fortune in every decision. I imagine this board would have gone into meltdown if EW had been signed on a four year contract. And our club (as I am sure do others) has many examples of longer contracts becoming a millstone, despite seeming a good idea at the point of signing. Players often fail to deliver, players get injured. Hindsight is always 20:20. A club-only extension option is great- but not all players will agree to that, or will demand an option of their own in return. And examples of players mysteriously being 'rested' to avoid clauses being triggered show that these aren't necessarily the way to achieve short-term on-field success.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:35 am

aberred wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:34 pm
Regarding the transfer fees; being a league below, to me means that unless we get promoted then we’d do very well to match those Lolley/Matt fees. If we go up, and Ed Williams stays with us next season but continues to deliver like he has, then I think we’ll see a fee to match. For now, it’s very unlikely a tier 6 player will get close to that.

All the more reason why KHFC need to get out of this Sh*t pub league

BPA ground looked like it was made for Sunday League never mind NN.
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Zorro
1st team
1st team

Post by Zorro » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:07 am

After a really good start, Alfreton have been in free fall since Tom Denton went to Chesterfield

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:26 am

Zorro wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:07 am
After a really good start, Alfreton have been in free fall since Tom Denton went to Chesterfield
A fact that no doubt will be taken on board by all in governance at KHFC

Imagine if Fylde had sold Danny Rowe would they have won promotion - each team need a 'star' and a figurehead - it is a team game but nevertheless Ed Williams is fast becoming a rock to rest the hopes of promotion on - hat trick on Saturday would be nice :lol:

Mind you if he does move on we always have a certain central defender who is far too good for NN to take his place ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :roll:

Give me strength :crying:

:comeonharriers2:
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:40 pm

muse_harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by muse_harrier » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:07 pm

Looks like he is being touted again.
On yesterdays performance i cant see many interested parties.
Funny how the championship clubs are named but no premiership clubs?
Not sure if Ed can make league 2 let alone championship.
We are performing in National league North ffs

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:26 pm

He's also been announced as being the latest client of..... Key Sports Management.

This, naturally, doesn't sit very comfortably with me. I suspect many will disagree.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:42 pm

harry211 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:26 pm
He's also been announced as being the latest client of..... Key Sports Management.

This, naturally, doesn't sit very comfortably with me. I suspect many will disagree.
CG I believe was a Director of Key Sports Management for some 18 years but resigned from the Key Sports Management Board in 2017 so whilst it may not sit comfortably it would appear to be perfectly OK. I guess it is all about contacts.