York through

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

Swansea Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Re: York through

Post by Swansea Harrier » Mon May 16, 2022 7:17 pm

BobGreenwoodsDad wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 7:13 pm
On a purely selfish level, I am happy to lose either of Boston or York from the division. Both are likely to be better next season. I only wish they could take Fylde and Chester with them - as I suspect the same will be true of them
As will Telford, Spendymoor and Darlo...

There will always be a bottleneck of clubs vying for just two promotion places. The playoffs are a nightmare for us regardless - we've never won a tie! The only way to be sure is to win the league...

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Tue May 17, 2022 10:26 am

We've enjoyed one promotion in nearly forty years so my confidence on us getting promotion in the next few years is pretty low. Not that I don't have faith in Russ, it was a great season, but it doesn't get any easier.

Medieval
1st team
1st team

Post by Medieval » Tue May 17, 2022 2:42 pm

I would say it`s getting more difficult for traditional clubs like us, even with a decent fan base. I get the feeling there are more & more bank rolled clubs coming through.

SCF1985
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by SCF1985 » Tue May 17, 2022 3:10 pm

Medieval wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 2:42 pm
I would say it`s getting more difficult for traditional clubs like us, even with a decent fan base. I get the feeling there are more & more bank rolled clubs coming through.
Agree to a point, but I think the number of these sugar daddy clubs are tailing off now. Most of them are out of our way, and I can’t see who the new ones are coming through. Only really Brackley and Filofax left at our level, and King’s Lynn have just come down. Billericay supposedly had lofty ambitions, but having just been relegated from the South, they’ve clearly been a failure. Do Buxton and Banbury have money? It will be interesting to see how they fare in our league next season. And Peterborough Sports have made a meteoric rise, surely one of the most unlikely teams ever to play at our level from what I’ve read, but can’t really see them getting much higher without sufficient infrastructure

Swansea Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Swansea Harrier » Tue May 17, 2022 3:55 pm

SCF1985 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 3:10 pm
Medieval wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 2:42 pm
Agree to a point, but I think the number of these sugar daddy clubs are tailing off now. Most of them are out of our way, and I can’t see who the new ones are coming through. Only really Brackley and Filofax left at our level, and King’s Lynn have just come down. Billericay supposedly had lofty ambitions, but having just been relegated from the South, they’ve clearly been a failure. Do Buxton and Banbury have money? It will be interesting to see how they fare in our league next season. And Peterborough Sports have made a meteoric rise, surely one of the most unlikely teams ever to play at our level from what I’ve read, but can’t really see them getting much higher without sufficient infrastructure
Buxton do. They also have a certain Ashley Chambers up front...

There are still clubs with money stuck a level below - South Shields and Warrington immediately spring to mind.

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Tue May 17, 2022 11:34 pm

Agree to a point, but I think the number of these sugar daddy clubs are tailing off now.
Telford under new ownership ( the Poundland guy), Spennymoor still spending, while Darlo, Chester and York(if they dont go up)not short of a bob or two.

It goes in cycles and just as likely to end in tears for some ; Colne Dynamoes in the early 1990s, Whitehawk on the south coast was another one.
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

jamestheimpaler
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by jamestheimpaler » Sat May 21, 2022 3:24 pm

https://twitter.com/YorkCityFC/status/1528015640287711233

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Sat May 21, 2022 4:58 pm

2-0 now. Kouhyar, the one we tried to sign from Hereford, scores the clincher

Who would have thought it before February?

koro
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by koro » Sat May 21, 2022 5:27 pm

This is why the top 7 play-off system works. Promotion goes to the team that has developed over the course of the season and has
peaked at the right time.

Tamworth Harrier
1st team
1st team

Post by Tamworth Harrier » Sat May 21, 2022 6:37 pm

They finished 21 points behind Brackley and lost a third of their league games (14). Shows you the lottery of the playoffs.

Jasper
1st team
1st team

Post by Jasper » Sat May 21, 2022 6:45 pm

koro wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 5:27 pm
This is why the top 7 play-off system works. Promotion goes to the team that has developed over the course of the season and has
So it's not a 42 game season anymore, well 46 next season?

SCF1985
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by SCF1985 » Sat May 21, 2022 7:13 pm

Tamworth Harrier wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 6:37 pm
They finished 21 points behind Brackley and lost a third of their league games (14). Shows you the lottery of the playoffs.
Exactly. Maybe next season we should just loiter around mid-table till March, and then get promotion because we’ve ‘developed’ at the right time? Might as well just start the season again from January in future and declaring all results before New Year null and void as it clearly isn’t a league anymore.

Swansea Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Swansea Harrier » Sat May 21, 2022 8:01 pm

koro wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 5:27 pm
As much as I understand what you mean Koro -and we all know what we signed up for at the start of the season - it does feel like the playoff system rewards sides that hit form at the end of the season rather than being more consistent throughout as others have suggested. With this logic, why penalise teams that started the season better and ended up deservedly higher up the table? Why does finishing well trump a good first half of the season? These are all rhetorical questions, we know it's all on the day in the playoffs.

York appear to have nailed it, as they were firmly midtable before a great winning run in March/April got them into the top seven. Boston likewise, though they were always there or thereabouts.

Brackley, Fylde and Boston must already be up there as favourites for next season, then you're looking at Kings Lynn, Chester, Darlo, Spennymoor and ourselves, maybe even Telford as dark horses.

It's going to be as hard as ever.

Medieval
1st team
1st team

Post by Medieval » Sat May 21, 2022 8:10 pm

I think this is a better system than previous, we just tailed off alarmingly over a fairly long period, failure in the playoff`s for us was inevitable with our form.

Had we scraped into 7th position with a late run i`m sure many on here would applaud the system for keeping the season alive.

Unfortunately, can`t have it both ways.

SCF1985
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by SCF1985 » Sat May 21, 2022 8:37 pm

It’s going to be between us, Brackley, Fylde and Boston next season for the title. Chorley, Spennymoor, Chester, Hereford, Darlington and Kettering will also be up there. That’s almost half the league!

Can’t see King’s Lynn going straight back up amongst that line-up, though they did win the North a couple of seasons ago. Buxton and Banbury won their leagues comfortably and will be interesting to watch, and also Scarborough, a former FL club back at this level after a longer than expected absence. It will be interesting, but I think it will be the usual suspects challenging next season