York through

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

Swansea Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Re: York through

Post by Swansea Harrier » Sat May 21, 2022 8:57 pm

Ooh yes, I forgot Chorley... Horrible to play against, like Brackley always up there...

I'd definitely put us a step or two behind the top three I listed in all honesty.

SCF1985
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by SCF1985 » Sat May 21, 2022 9:24 pm

Swansea Harrier wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 8:57 pm
Ooh yes, I forgot Chorley... Horrible to play against, like Brackley always up there...

I'd definitely put us a step or two behind the top three I listed in all honesty.
Going on our run towards the end of the season I would agree, but with our Cup run and the money we’ve made from that, there should be no excuses for next season. We’ve set the bar now, and we have to convert a promising season and talented squad into success at some point. 2013 still rankles in a similar manner to maybe Brackley or Fylde this season

TWG85
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by TWG85 » Sun May 22, 2022 12:53 am

Swansea Harrier wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 8:01 pm
koro wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 5:27 pm
This is why the top 7 play-off system works. Promotion goes to the team that has developed over the course of the season and has
peaked at the right time.
As much as I understand what you mean Koro -and we all know what we signed up for at the start of the season - it does feel like the playoff system rewards sides that hit form at the end of the season rather than being more consistent throughout as others have suggested. With this logic, why penalise teams that started the season better and ended up deservedly higher up the table? Why does finishing well trump a good first half of the season? These are all rhetorical questions, we know it's all on the day in the playoffs.

York appear to have nailed it, as they were firmly midtable before a great winning run in March/April got them into the top seven. Boston likewise, though they were always there or thereabouts.

Brackley, Fylde and Boston must already be up there as favourites for next season, then you're looking at Kings Lynn, Chester, Darlo, Spennymoor and ourselves, maybe even Telford as dark horses.

It's going to be as hard as ever.
Other thing to consider with York is they did have an awful lot of injuries for the majority of the season. Same goes for Fylde.

Personally prefer the standard two-legged semi final, one-off final, four team set-up any day of the week. Far more security with two legs, which I'm certain the higher placed teams would prefer in the moment. And six teams involved feels far too much like handing out participation awards, for my liking.

Grumpy old man
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Grumpy old man » Sun May 22, 2022 12:42 pm

Personally, I'm fairly relaxed about the play-off structure - whatever is adopted you are moving from a league to a cup format which creates a greater element of lottery/luck and a different motivational challenge for managers etc.

Reflecting on the 2022 playoffs, of the 6 clubs involved York have the strongest "history" and arguably the greatest potential for the future so good luck to them. As others have said, the sugar-daddy approach is often not sustainable in the longer term but would we really complain if somebody offered to bank roll us back into the National League?!?

Roll on 2022/23.

TWG85
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by TWG85 » Sun May 22, 2022 2:18 pm

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Mon May 23, 2022 10:42 am

With York promoted, I believe we are likely to have the highest attendances in NLN. Hopefully, this will translate in to a decent budget.
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Mon May 23, 2022 11:21 am

With York promoted, I believe we are likely to have the highest attendances in NLN. Hopefully, this will translate in to a decent budget.
York averaged 3,265 over the normal home season, the best in NLN. We averaged 2,103 (second highest).
I seem to recall at the last forum (Jan 2020) financial budgets were said to be based on an assumption of 1,500 average at Aggborough.
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022