Next seasons manager

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

Swansea Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Re: Next seasons manager

Post by Swansea Harrier » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:12 pm

Sheffield Harrier wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:20 pm
I think Lambert has a lot to prove next season.
Really can't get my head around thus - he's pretty much our only creative force. He was our best player by a mile on Saturday - yes he faded, but that's because he and Anari were probably doing half the team's running for them. Great little ball to put Hemminfs clean through in the first half.

So many of our goals and chances away from home come through him too, often wriggling away from three opponents and creating space for our other attackers.

What we need IMO is more quality players around him so his efforts are rewarded more often.

aberred
1st team
1st team

Post by aberred » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:30 pm

jim mankey wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:23 pm
Phil wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:15 pm
harry211 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:37 pm
Brown on the 72+ podcast on 5 Live last night and apparently talking about the club in the past tense. Near the top of the show. Worth someone listening and seeing what was said (I can't until a lot later on...)

11 minutes in: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001yk92
Listened to it for a couple of minutes from the 11th minute, the only past tense I heard was from the past season. Nothing negative about the club, only praise, and he used the "we" word.
I was literally in the studio next door to him last night and didn’t realise until I was in the car going across the M62 from Salford. Wish I had known earlier as I would have tried to grab a few minutes with him. I would imagine he’ll be on again though.

BobGreenwoodsDad
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by BobGreenwoodsDad » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:51 pm

I may be mistaken, but I think I recall PB saying in a previous interview that the lowest level that he would manage was NN (and that reluctantly) and would not manage at NLN level ? Presumably nothing to do with travelling but ‘ professional pride’. Of course he may have changed his mind

PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:16 pm

BobGreenwoodsDad wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:51 pm
I may be mistaken, but I think I recall PB saying in a previous interview that the lowest level that he would manage was NN (and that reluctantly) and would not manage at NLN level ? Presumably nothing to do with travelling but ‘ professional pride’. Of course he may have changed his mind
He applied for the Oxford city job in the National League South a couple of years ago but they opted for the manager they have now so the level won't bother him.

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:33 am

Swansea Harrier wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:12 pm
Sheffield Harrier wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:20 pm
I think Lambert has a lot to prove next season.
Really can't get my head around thus - he's pretty much our only creative force. He was our best player by a mile on Saturday - yes he faded, but that's because he and Anari were probably doing half the team's running for them. Great little ball to put Hemminfs clean through in the first half.

So many of our goals and chances away from home come through him too, often wriggling away from three opponents and creating space for our other attackers.

What we need IMO is more quality players around him so his efforts are rewarded more often.
As I've said, perhaps he needs some better players round him so agree there. But he's not stood out at this level. Not by a long way.

I stand by what I say. Collectively, we were not good enough. Lambert is part of that. Creative force? Not enough. Has too many touches on the ball. Runs into blind corners. Yes, he has threaded some lovely balls on occasions. But also he's gone through games doing little. And his body language has looked suspect at times.

Yes, yes, support the lads. They're trying. Maybe he will excel in a lower league. He should do.

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by tonythescout » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:07 pm

Listening to Browns pre match interview it sounds as if he will remain or be around. Playing fringe/youth players to take a look. Said hes happy with how conversations have gone. Also makes reference to Josh Bishop being recalled and being involved at Barnet, which looks he may well have made up his mind with Tom Palmer. Also making reference to wanting Byrne and Dibble to stay on. Thats not the words of an outgoing manager.

On Lambert, often he gets into positions but when he is ready to release the ball no one is making the runs. Gold is notorious for his lack of movement and having two other attackers with combined ages of 70 isnt going to bring mass energy to the front 2/3. It could also be argued that he has been playing through injury/rushed back. Not sure how many shots Bellis had on goal when he played, probably count them on one finger.

Next season is massive for him, and us. He will be a key player for us IMO.

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:20 pm

Edgar T Peaceful
1st team
1st team

Post by Edgar T Peaceful » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:18 pm

17 minutes!? The media team must love him.
Sam

WorcesterHarrier
Youth team
Youth team

Post by WorcesterHarrier » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:07 pm

Hopefully Phil brown stays, watching his interview post Match confident he will

muse_harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by muse_harrier » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:51 pm

I am not sure whether Phil's appointment will be right for us at NLN level next season.
Can't feel the hysteria from some supporters as his recent form is on par with UB40s classic "one in ten"

Grumpy old man
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Grumpy old man » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:52 pm

I always saw PB as a short term fix - somebody who would give us a fighting chance of survival in the NL. Far from convinced that he is the correct choice now that we are back in NLN. Much rather see a younger more ambitious manager who wants to step up from a part-time club.

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:08 am

Looking at this from a business point of view I am sure RL want as many season tickets sold as possible + the opportunity to see home gates well over the 2,000 being achieved. Added to that the major corporate sponsors will also want the same. Phil Brown is a name that can see that outcome likely to be delivered whereas Paddy Nobody whilst he maybe an up and coming lower league manager would only be attractive to the few who know him. Add to that players who could be attracted to the Club by PB being Manager and to me those combined desires add up to PB being the Manager for next season.

Northern Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Northern Harrier » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:36 am

pershoreharrier wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:08 am
Looking at this from a business point of view I am sure RL want as many season tickets sold as possible + the opportunity to see home gates well over the 2,000 being achieved. Added to that the major corporate sponsors will also want the same. Phil Brown is a name that can see that outcome likely to be delivered whereas Paddy Nobody whilst he maybe an up and coming lower league manager would only be attractive to the few who know him. Add to that players who could be attracted to the Club by PB being Manager and to me those combined desires add up to PB being the Manager for next season.
I had wondered the same myself

Maybe a symptom of the poor recruitment before (players didn't want to come?)

Grumpy old man
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Grumpy old man » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:27 pm

I suspect that Paddy Nobody is generally a lot cheaper than Paddy Has Been.

Marcus Garvey
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Marcus Garvey » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:23 pm

Grumpy old man wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:27 pm
I suspect that Paddy Nobody is generally a lot cheaper than Paddy Has Been.
It will still boil down to success on the pitch for the crowds to be maintained ...the novelty of 'Pastor' Brown and his sermons will soon wear thin if we are outside the playoffs fairly early on. The pulling power of his name has also failed dismally so far for signings....and I'd rather judge on real evidence than promises. How much of the player budget is to be sacrificed for the management team? I guess it comes down to, is it a financial gamble we can afford to take?