No FA Cup replays from Rnd 1

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

TrialistA
Reserves
Reserves

Re: No FA Cup replays from Rnd 1

Post by TrialistA » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:48 am

Around 700 clubs enter the FA Cup every year and the rules are being changed to satisfy the demands of the top Premier League teams. The same top PL teams that field a second string for most rounds until they get to the quarter final. For teams throughout the pyramid, the FA Cup is about "dreams" and "the magic".
It's the chance to make some money that's an addition to a club's pre-season budget.
I still feel aggrieved about the West Ham game. It was a draw after 90 minutes and a replay at the London Stadium would have netted us an extra £100,000 + (that's a guess. It could have been more).
The FA sets the rules for the FA Cup (that's the bleedin' obvious). If the top PL teams don't like the rules, they don't have to enter the competition.
Personally, I'd be more inclined to watch a final between, say, Fulham and WBA, or Southampton and Brentford than I would between Chelsea and Manchester United or Manchester City and Manchester United.
So to the FA I'd say listen to your members and every voice should have equal weight. Don't be influenced by just a handful of PL clubs that frequently treat the Cup with contempt.

Harry Aire
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harry Aire » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:49 pm

I quite agree - this is disgraceful. Wish I could say I was surprised but it's in line with the way football is going, concentrating wealth and power in the hands of the few. Bit like society at large really. All my favourite games have been pretty much ruined in my lifetime - football, cricket, rugby union - all obsessed with money and willing to sell-out to the highest bidder and betray the soul of the game. Wish I could see some hope but the march of mammon seems inexorable.

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:44 pm

Hopefully Richard Lane releases a statement soon condemning the scrapping of replays.

He might be sat there thinking he can’t say anything that hasn’t already been said by other clubs, but for me it’s important to show solidarity.

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:06 pm

Of course he should.

However the longer it goes on, the more I think I was right about Lane/Brown's reasons for staying quiet.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

Northern Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Northern Harrier » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:27 pm

harry211 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:06 pm
Of course he should.

However the longer it goes on, the more I think I was right about Lane/Brown's reasons for staying quiet.
Which is..

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:55 pm

Northern Harrier wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:27 pm
harry211 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:06 pm
Of course he should.

Which is..
As I posted earlier:

"Brown was noticably cool in his interview, and given Lane does not seem your usual football man - I can't see us doing similar."

To expand it. Brown has spent most of his managerial/coaching career worrying about clubs at the upper echelons of the football pyramid, and the same applies to his punditry. I don't think he necessarily gets the importance of replays, beyond the financial aspect.

Meanwhile Lane's connection with football seems fairly loose beyond the link to his Dad. He's not really a football man, to be caught up in the romance and tradition of it all - and that does have its advantages.

I don't think either will care or get the uproar.

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:59 pm

Sheffield Harrier wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:44 pm
Hopefully Richard Lane releases a statement soon condemning the scrapping of replays.

He might be sat there thinking he can’t say anything that hasn’t already been said by other clubs, but for me it’s important to show solidarity.

Just hope this isn't RL's thinking:
I DREAMT OF BARNET BEATING CHELSEA

In January 1994, just a few months before I bought Barnet FC, we drew with Chelsea in the FA Cup and earnt a money spinning replay at Stamford Bridge.

This money supported the Club at a difficult time and this is the main argument put forward by non league Clubs this week for the retention of replays.

After purchasing the Club, I remember meeting Ken Bates at Wembley for the final. As I shook his hand and thanked him for the hospitable way Chelsea had treated the Barnet contingent, he pressed a one pound coin into the palm of my hand, smiled and said “you will need that, you will need every penny you can get” and so began my journey in football…

Some thirty years later, whilst I recognise and appreciate the standpoint of most lower league clubs who have made strong statements opposing the abolition of FA Cup Replays announced this week by the FA, we will not be joining them in their protestations.

I dreamt of beating Chelsea, and on the day of the first match at Underhill, in a penalty shoot out….I think the gods would have smiled down on us.

That’s why I bought a Club; that’s why football is great, because on any given Saturday we have hope, we can win, and let’s face it…penalties is a lottery.

So we fully support this decision by the FA, because it means we have a greater chance of winning, and that’s all we want to do, win.

So what about the financial argument?

Well, you will have to navigate a hastily prepared, difficult replay match, sold at a discounted cost, played in a half empty stadium, during a busy midweek.

The odds are also stacked against you because second time round the Premier League team is better prepared and it becomes a much tougher ask.

The FA Cup journey will probably end there, whereas if there is no replay and you do win that penalty shoot out, it’s progression to another round, against another big team, in a full stadium, going for glory.

We are told there is greater prize money on offer for winning in the early rounds, and this will help alleviate the ever increasing issue of fixture congestion.

This remains to be seen but at least we will have an exciting climax to every match which will reinvigorate the competition. It already feels more exciting and I can’t wait for next season’s Cup draw.

You can be sure that when we do beat Chelsea, I will compensate them and give them their pound back!

Tony Kleanthous

https://www.barnetfc.com/chairmans-statement-following-changes-to-fa-cup-replays

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:11 pm

Given the scarcity of communication between KHFC's owner and the external world I'm not surprised there's been no comment of the rule change.
And why should there?
There's been plenty on social media and beyond commenting the dropping of replays; a terse critical statement from a NLN club owner is not going to make anyone, let alone the FA, sit up and take notice.
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by tonythescout » Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:12 pm

Some of the paranoia and conspiracies about Lane are starting to get old and boring. If he wasn’t bothered he wouldn’t be owning the club and sinking his own money in as well as seeking investment from other companies.
Brown hasn’t really been at a club of our size so perhaps he doesn’t really get how massive a replay could be to a club like ours, anyone recalls Wolves in 2003 for an example?
Think all clubs should Be issuing statements and doing all they can to ensure replays are reinstated as it’s another decision that completely stinks. Even Gary Neville is against it.

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:23 pm

This wouldn't be bad option for all clubs next season. Take the bloody things down and ignore any response from the Premier League/FA

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:55 pm

garthrockett wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:11 pm
Given the scarcity of communication between KHFC's owner and the external world I'm not surprised there's been no comment of the rule change.
And why should there?
There's been plenty on social media and beyond commenting the dropping of replays; a terse critical statement from a NLN club owner is not going the make anyone, let alone the FA, sit up and take notice.
When you expect so little, not even getting that means you aren't let down as badly.

The statement is as much for our fans as it is to add our support to the wider cause.

Lane has shown a number of times he isn't a big football man. Fair enough. Don't think that can be questioned. Not saying he doesn't want us to succeed, but more that he doesn't get the wider issues that are football specific - like the importance of fan engagement. There's nuance needed here in judging him rather than him being branded all good or all bad.

Medieval
1st team
1st team

Post by Medieval » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:41 pm

Wouldn`t it have more impact for all the clubs to make a joint statement? Or same from the board of National/NN/NS league?

Also, what is "grassroots" intended to include? Is it ringfenced as additional contribution? Forever? Index linked?

As the Premier league already give a vast donation to "football" i`m sure they will bear this additional amount in mind & get it back through the back door.

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:06 pm

According to the FA "grass roots football" will now receive an extra 33 million to the existing 100 million into "the Football Foundation and Premier League Stadium Fund to develop facilities at lower league clubs, improving the playing and spectator experience, as well as clubs’ financial sustainability. The funding will also create more opportunities for people with a disability to play football, and support the ongoing development of the girls' game."

"Founded in 2000, the Football Foundation is the largest sports charity in UK. So far, the foundation has awarded more than 17,600 grants to improve facilities worth more than £708m – including 885 artificial grass pitches, 3,587 natural grass pitches and 1,210 changing facilities. This has attracted an additional £885m of partnership funding – totalling over £1.5bn investment in grassroots football."

As a step 2 club (NLN) KHFC can apply for 250K grant under the Premier League Stadium Fund. We have done in the past, I seem to recall we had a pitch roller and a mower worth 6 grand some time back (10 years ago?)
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:30 pm

Medieval wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:41 pm
Wouldn`t it have more impact for all the clubs to make a joint statement? Or same from the board of National/NN/NS league?

Also, what is "grassroots" intended to include? Is it ringfenced as additional contribution? Forever? Index linked?

As the Premier league already give a vast donation to "football" i`m sure they will bear this additional amount in mind & get it back through the back door.
In terms of a PR campaign, you do both.

The grassroots funding is piecemeal. Won't change too much for us. The Prem are still yet to sign off the major funding that has been debated back and forth for years now.

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:50 pm

They really aren't fit for purpose are they?