Next seasons manager

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

jim mankey
1st team
1st team

Re: Next seasons manager

Post by jim mankey » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:40 pm

Hopefully good news. Personally I think that promotion in the first season back is an absolute must, history seems to suggest that if a team doesn't it stagnates in the NLN. Look at Stockport, Chester, Boston, York and ourselves, all spent, or are spending, years more in that graveyard than they'd have liked. If Scunny don't go up they may spend a few years regretting it.

I think Phil & Neil will have their eyes opened tonight at Alfreton. Hopefully the club will have the budget and the appeal to get the right players in.

TomLong78
Reserves
Reserves

Post by TomLong78 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:10 pm

PB brought a feel good factor to the football club last season. Given how hopeless we were at home, how dull the football was, how few goals we scored or threatened to score, the positivity in and around the stadium pre, post and during matches was remarkable.

I suspect however that the feel good factor will be harder to maintain if we are lower mid-table in the NLN in the Autumn.

I would say I am in the “undecided” camp around his appointment. I didn’t think he was the right man in January, but he wasn’t too far away from proving me very wrong. And he is an entertaining and engaging character, who has clearly helped energise the football club. So whilst I am, on balance, of the view that he isn’t the right man for the NLN or the long term, he gets the benefit of my doubt, and I will of course back his team 100% as always.

PB has a lot of goodwill, but he mustn’t squander it. A big summer of re-building awaits.

Marcus Garvey
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Marcus Garvey » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:42 pm

Sheffield Harrier wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:19 pm
Someone told me when he came we were seven points adrift and we finish six points adrift. However, he gets grace as it’s not his squad.

First and foremost all decisions at the club must be made without putting its future in jeopardy. One can only assume that financially Lane thinks we can afford this and a good playing budget. The level of the signings will be interesting. We don’t want any sh*t or bust situation. There’s nothing to suggest this is the case.

The good thing compared to someone else coming in is that no-one needs time to give each player a chance and assess the squad. He’s done that so must have an excellent idea of what he wants to do.

Regardless of who was in charge I’d be pessimistic about an immediate return. It’s going to be a massive challenge and we don’t want to act as if we are going to walk it. We had years down there and could easily drift again.

Time will tell won’t it. No need to nail your colours to the mast. Let’s wait and see. Hopefully we manage to win a lot more (particularly at home) games.
Brilliant post....nailed it :like:

Krasnyi
1st team
1st team

Post by Krasnyi » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:41 pm

Wonder if Phil’s enjoying his trip to the Impact Arena? Might reconsider his decision tomorrow.

Grenoble Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Grenoble Harrier » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:58 am

I'm in the pro-PB camp (admittedly I was one of those who believed we'd landed the Messiah after those 4 wins on the bounce!).
Anyway, the fact he has agreed a new contract with us tells me he believes in our club and fancies this tricky project of getting us back up. Once we'd been relegated a couple of weeks ago, he could have walked away and just put it down as a thankless task, one where he just fell short. The fact he's dropping a division, warts and all, tells me he's ready to roll up his Gingham shirt sleeves, rack up the miles in commuting, and give it everything. Hopefully he'll have some budget to play with, and that this summer we'll use the lessons we learned from last summer's recruitment fiasco. Also, fingers crossed him and his team can pinpoint exactly why there was such a contrast in our home and away form this past season.
"This time next year hey"....

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:55 am

With regard to PB being the Messiah.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kbo8pUDcHQ
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

Jasper
1st team
1st team

Post by Jasper » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:32 am

Cal's Spongebag wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:55 am
With regard to PB being the Messiah.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kbo8pUDcHQ
If PB becomes as popular as the film we'll all be on cloud nine. In Phil we trust.
COYR!

PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:56 pm

Possibly Phil Browns shortest interview ever...