Dave Pountney

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Dave Pountney

Post by pershoreharrier » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:11 pm

I take it the decision to effectively dismiss the Managing Director and Member of the Board of Directors of the football club was taken by the Board of Directors as a whole and that they therefore support the decision.

I also take it that the Board of Directors as a whole also support the appointee taking over from Dave Pountney.

Mrs Waggy
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Mrs Waggy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:13 pm

Absolutely shocked, almost at a loss for words. I’ve had the privilege of knowing Dave for a few years now, and his integrity and loyalty to the club has never ever been in question. If everyone had the same dedication as Dave’s level of devotion, be it as a fan or a KHIST board member (and latterly full board member), our club would continue to go from strength to strength. In spite of a devastating personal loss, both he and Beckie showed dignity coupled with great courage, never once complaining. Doubtless they will again show those qualities, helped in no short measure by the level of support shown.

The cynic in me poses the question if this action is tied in with the arrival of Saddler’s taking over the running of the Aggborough Suite and the resurrected Harriers Arms. I for one wouldn’t be surprised and await with interest as to the “real" (?) reason.
The older I get, the better I was.

Jackygold55
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Jackygold55 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:21 pm

Sometimes things just don't work out.

It doesn't matter how devoted he is to harriers, which of course he is.

Any news on who came in, or who replaced him? I would think it should be another KHIST member right?

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:15 pm

georged123 wrote:

I also find it insenstive to use a public forum to discuss the reasons why someone that many people on this forum know has lost his job, especially with comments that the club has found someone better for the role.
Dave Pountney himself posted this on Facebook so any discussion on here is just as valid as any discussion on Facebook.

Personally I knew about this prior to the Halifax game and agreed with Dave that it should be kept quiet until Dave had made it public. Although I think the club may release an update on this in the next few days I don't think they will be giving the real reason as to why.

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:17 pm

Really sad news. Dave's a decent, honest bloke, and has done great work for the club. Surprise, surprise, the way the club have treated him is shocking. A Harrier through, and through, it's a shame that someone who has the club closer to heart than some members of the board, has left the club in this way.

As for whether the truth will out, will it? I don't think Colin will give a statement, it will be too politically risky. I don't think there'll be an article on the website either. If there is, will the real reason out? Hmm...

Instead it's whether people sit up and take notice of who replaces him.

Annoyingly, I was just saying before the game against Halifax, how my opinion of Colin's running of the club had changed. How long that lasted!
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:27 pm

pershoreharrier wrote:I take it the decision to effectively dismiss the Managing Director and Member of the Board of Directors of the football club was taken by the Board of Directors as a whole and that they therefore support the decision.

I also take it that the Board of Directors as a whole also support the appointee taking over from Dave Pountney.
Would you be referring to past experiences pershore, of nodding donkeys under Serrell??
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:35 pm

redandwhitemike wrote:
pershoreharrier wrote:I take it the decision to effectively dismiss the Managing Director and Member of the Board of Directors of the football club was taken by the Board of Directors as a whole and that they therefore support the decision.

Would you be referring to past experiences pershore, of nodding donkeys under Serrell??

Not quite with you Mike but in my opinion there are right ways of doing things and wrong ways of doing things and all I am saying is I would hope that the right way was followed in this particular but somehow I have an uneasy feeling about this that I cannot currently dispel.

sprials
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by sprials » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:24 pm

pershoreharrier wrote:
redandwhitemike wrote:

Not quite with you Mike but in my opinion there are right ways of doing things and wrong ways of doing things and all I am saying is I would hope that the right way was followed in this particular but somehow I have an uneasy feeling about this that I cannot currently dispel.

Hi Pershore, I can see where you are coming from, I not sure regarding all the directors agreed/knew /disagreed ?....CAN the KHIST directors confirm this as they will know better than any of us...and it would put to bed any concerns/questions raised here
youth team....THE WAY FORWARD

grassroots is where it all starts, support it before it's too late

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:37 pm

sprials wrote:
pershoreharrier wrote:
redandwhitemike wrote:

Hi Pershore, I can see where you are coming from, I not sure regarding all the directors agreed/knew /disagreed ?....CAN the KHIST directors confirm this as they will know better than any of us...and it would put to bed any concerns/questions raised here

Fair point Sprials - perhaps KHIST could make their position clear - after all they are our representatives in the Board Room and this decision would surely have been discussed at Board level resulting in this unfortunate event.In this era of openess so often referred to some clarity would be of assistance.

pb12345
1st team
1st team

Post by pb12345 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:10 pm

People lose jobs for all sorts of reasons. I personally don't think it should be discussed here tbh. Presume as an employee and hope he has been suitably recompensed.

Good Luck Dave, a better and more well paid job will be around the corner.

Top Man

Semper Idem
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Semper Idem » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:57 pm

Very disappointing news to hear, seems like one step forward two steps back at times at this club. There is no doubt Dave has had an impressive impact on the club from when he first joined, at one point before he arrived we were struggling to fill the boards around the ground and even turned to UKIP for a bit of money, Dave came in and had an immediate impact in getting new sponsorship in from local companies and getting the boards filled not to mention hospitality being filled every week. When things like this happen it worries me what is going on behind the scenes. Finally I'd like to wish Dave all the best with finding a new job I am sure he will be an asset to any company looking to employ.

sandman
1st team
1st team

Post by sandman » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:29 pm

I don't know Dave but I don't see why anyone would not expect the club to say anything about this. He had a major role at the club and the fans should be told what is going on. I notice he is still down as a director and as managing director on the official website so I guess some form of announcement is being prepared. People want things instantly these days and it just isn't always possible. As for the reason maybe those that know Dave should ask him rather than posting about it on here?

Sir Luke Medley
Youth team
Youth team

Post by Sir Luke Medley » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:43 pm

Having praised Colin Gordon recently via the AGM update, I have to say I am very disappointed and concerned to hear this news. Whilst CG is free to appoint who he wants as the major shareholder, I feel this is very much an own goal. Everyone who has been a Harriers fan for a while knows and appreciates all that Dave has done for the club over the years. I fail to see there is anyone better to go to the community to sell the club than him due to the respect he has gained from (nearly) everyone. Good luck for the future and I hope you find an employer that deserves you.

georged123
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by georged123 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:26 pm

harry211 wrote:Really sad news. Dave's a decent, honest bloke, and has done great work for the club. Surprise, surprise, the way the club have treated him is shocking. A Harrier through, and through, it's a shame that someone who has the club closer to heart than some members of the board, has left the club in this way.

As for whether the truth will out, will it? I don't think Colin will give a statement, it will be too politically risky. I don't think there'll be an article on the website either. If there is, will the real reason out? Hmm...

Annoyingly, I was just saying before the game against Halifax, how my opinion of Colin's running of the club had changed. How long that lasted!
"The way the club have treated him is shocking", do you know the background to this decision? Or is it just more casual slurs against CG and the club without anything to back it up?

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:29 pm

georged123 wrote:
harry211 wrote:Really sad news. Dave's a decent, honest bloke, and has done great work for the club. Surprise, surprise, the way the club have treated him is shocking. A Harrier through, and through, it's a shame that someone who has the club closer to heart than some members of the board, has left the club in this way.

"The way the club have treated him is shocking", do you know the background to this decision? Or is it just more casual slurs against CG and the club without anything to back it up?
My opinions about Flash and the club have been formed as a result of hearing about things like this. It's not a casual slur, from what I'm aware of, it's perfectly accurate and a reasonable opinion to have.

Let's put it this way. A popular Managing Director, who at several points has been praised for how he's helped turn the commercial side of the club around, has been turfed out without ceremony, or warning. Somebody who has put a lot of work into the club over the years, and is as big of a fan of the club that you'll find.

Now, clearly, it's not because he's been doing a bad job. So what is it? Look at what Phil's said in the thread. Connect the dots together.

I understand why you're a fan of Colin, but he's really dropped the ball big time with this. Can't see how it's in any way defensible.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------