Who's signed up for the 2018-2019 Squad

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Re: Who's signed up for the 2018-2019 Squad

Post by Phil » Fri May 11, 2018 4:35 pm

No mention of Jack Finch and Josh Webb who went out on season long loans.

Supposedly a full back and a striker coming in.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Fri May 11, 2018 4:37 pm

Two obvious things to take from that news

1) Management is definitely staying put for at least another season

2) if all 18 players sign deals for next season it won't leave much wiggle room to bring in new faces.

Looks like CG is aiming for a play off spot then :roll:

And we all know what happens with Harriers in the play offs.

To say I'm disappointed ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

But not surprised :crying:
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Swansea Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Swansea Harrier » Fri May 11, 2018 7:05 pm

Well I'm pleased. Squad that secured a top four finish almost entirely retained, and unless offers come in a settled squad for August to hit the ground running - unlike last season.

Still room for the odd face to come in to improve us too. I'll miss Elton if he goes but we can't stand in his way.

Every reason to be optimistic. COYR

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Fri May 11, 2018 7:13 pm

Swansea Harrier wrote:Well I'm pleased. Squad that secured a top four finish almost entirely retained, and unless offers come in a settled squad for August to hit the ground running - unlike last season.

Still room for the odd face to come in to improve us too. I'll miss Elton if he goes but we can't stand in his way.

Every reason to be optimistic. COYR
I understand you will be pleased with same old - but offering Andre Brown another contract,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :roll:
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Medieval
1st team
1st team

Post by Medieval » Fri May 11, 2018 7:25 pm

Suppose offering a contract doesn`t mean it is acceptable to the player, perhaps just being polite, so some may choose to go & leave spare wriggle room.

spitalfields
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by spitalfields » Fri May 11, 2018 7:58 pm

Medieval wrote:Suppose offering a contract doesn`t mean it is acceptable to the player, perhaps just being polite, so some may choose to go & leave spare wriggle room.
Ah, but acting honourably by allowing a player to choose to leave rather than announcing their rejection to the world doesn't fit the narrative some wish to create, does it? The names on this list are, in my view, most of those who would be vulnerable were you looking to strengthen the squad- so offering them fair but possibly unattractive terms is not a silly thing. If they accept, you have a good value back-up. If they don't, space is created for new signings. I expect a bit of both.

The truth is that once this squad came together it was very competitive. Evolution not revolution would seem the most likely route to finishing the jigsaw. I think we need a sports psychologist and more flexible tactics. But I don't think wholesale squad changes are necessary, or desirable.

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Fri May 11, 2018 8:00 pm

Well my understanding of the Vision Document was that the business plan identified an income from transfers of £50K per season and I am not aware that we are due any further sums from players who have already left for new pastures in the form of appearances or sell-on clauses but I may have missed something on that front.

I would guess therefore that having pretty much the whole of the current squad signed up will ensure that if anyone of those players want to leave will trigger a transfer fee - with Club income likely to be similar to last season as I see no major announcements on the Club securing additional income streams I would be surprised if there was much in the pot to bring in significant players to secure the title.

spitalfields
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by spitalfields » Fri May 11, 2018 8:08 pm

pershoreharrier wrote: I would guess therefore that having pretty much the whole of the current squad signed up will ensure that if anyone of those players want to leave will trigger a transfer fee - with Club income likely to be similar to last season as I see no major announcements on the Club securing additional income streams I would be surprised if there was much in the pot to bring in significant players to secure the title.
Which does make you wonder why the one player 'attracting attention from league clubs' wasn't signed up a while back...

PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA » Fri May 11, 2018 8:18 pm

All the players offered a contract bar one are under the age of 24 so if they don't sign for Harriers and go elsewhere we will be entitled to a development compensation.

spitalfields
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by spitalfields » Fri May 11, 2018 8:35 pm

PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA wrote:All the players offered a contract bar one are under the age of 24 so if they don't sign for Harriers and go elsewhere we will be entitled to a development compensation.
What's the definition of 'under'? I may be mistaken, but I thought Elton turned 24 before the start of this season? Which may or may not have been a factor in his about-turn last year?

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Fri May 11, 2018 8:37 pm

It does baffle me a little that the previous amateurs in charge of the Club generated significant income from player transfers in relatively recent years - Matt, Blissett, Lolley, Johnson and no doubt a few more that I have missed but those four alone brought in well over £750,000 - I have just remembered Dunkley for example.

I am probably being far too impatient but I thought we were assembling a squad of players being fully supported from the Acadamy that were going to be the target for Clubs in the Leagues above us and which would give us a substantial income stream. I recall Fane went for £30K to Oldham - Hodgkiss and Lowe were released and joined Macclesfield - ZFA and Tunnicliffe went to Fylde for nothing - Gnahoua went to Shrewsbury for nothing and a centre half signed by a previous regime to the current one ( I think) went to Birmingham City for £75k was it?

The bafflement is that our current professionals are some way behind our previous amateurs who may have just been lucky 4 or 5 times in a very short period of time but somehow I am not convinced by that thinking.

I can only hope that we will see gems such as those mentioned above and who gave us a great deal to celebrate come through to our first team in the next season or so and then go on to play in the Championship, League 1 and League 2 with the occasional appearance in the Premiership.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Fri May 11, 2018 8:39 pm

PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA wrote:All the players offered a contract bar one are under the age of 24 so if they don't sign for Harriers and go elsewhere we will be entitled to a development compensation.

So the methodology to a profit is to keep players who are not good enough in the hope that the fact management have offered to re-signed them on unattractive terms will somehow make them more to attractive to another club ?

Seems like you end up with a portion of the squad on the wage bill that shouldn't be there and will play minimal game time, in the hope that another club will be interested in paying compensation ???????

This is NN - it ain't going to happen.

How much did the club get for Tunnicliffe - the exact scenario quoted - probably the best player at the club last season.

PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA » Fri May 11, 2018 9:23 pm

redandwhitemike wrote:

So the methodology to a profit is to keep players who are not good enough in the hope that the fact management have offered to re-signed them on unattractive terms will somehow make them more to attractive to another club ?

Seems like you end up with a portion of the squad on the wage bill that shouldn't be there and will play minimal game time, in the hope that another club will be interested in paying compensation ???????

This is NN - it ain't going to happen.

How much did the club get for Tunnicliffe - the exact scenario quoted - probably the best player at the club last season.
Email the chairman and ask him.

PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA » Fri May 11, 2018 9:41 pm

pershoreharrier wrote:It does baffle me a little that the previous amateurs in charge of the Club generated significant income from player transfers in relatively recent years - Matt, Blissett, Lolley, Johnson and no doubt a few more that I have missed but those four alone brought in well over £750,000 - I have just remembered Dunkley for example.

I am probably being far too impatient but I thought we were assembling a squad of players being fully supported from the Acadamy that were going to be the target for Clubs in the Leagues above us and which would give us a substantial income stream. I recall Fane went for £30K to Oldham - Hodgkiss and Lowe were released and joined Macclesfield - ZFA and Tunnicliffe went to Fylde for nothing - Gnahoua went to Shrewsbury for nothing and a centre half signed by a previous regime to the current one ( I think) went to Birmingham City for £75k was it?

The bafflement is that our current professionals are some way behind our previous amateurs who may have just been lucky 4 or 5 times in a very short period of time but somehow I am not convinced by that thinking.

I can only hope that we will see gems such as those mentioned above and who gave us a great deal to celebrate come through to our first team in the next season or so and then go on to play in the Championship, League 1 and League 2 with the occasional appearance in the Premiership.
Is that the previous amateurs that gave big contracts out to the non scoring forwards Styche and Reid?

Harrier1994
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harrier1994 » Fri May 11, 2018 10:30 pm

Marvin Johnson anyone? He had a shocking season the season Lolley was here. We offered him a contract purely to get money from him being under 24. No one wanted him so he signed back on here. He went onto have the best half season with us and we ended up selling him to Motherwell in the Janurary.