Who's signed up for the 2018-2019 Squad

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

Sir Luke Medley
Youth team
Youth team

Re: Who's signed up for the 2018-2019 Squad

Post by Sir Luke Medley » Fri May 11, 2018 10:33 pm

Is that the same amateurs that sold players for 750k yet still took the club to the brink of administration and lost us our place in the National League due to years of mis-management?

AGKman
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by AGKman » Sat May 12, 2018 8:31 am

Sir Luke Medley wrote:Is that the same amateurs that sold players for 750k yet still took the club to the brink of administration and lost us our place in the National League due to years of mis-management?
That’s them. And they and those around them hired Andy Thorn. Then sacked him, paid him for a year, then hired Gary Whild, then sacked him and paid him for a year.
And failed to pay players and staff. They sure did it better. Miss them years I do.
Born Green & White; will die Red & White

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Sat May 12, 2018 8:34 am

PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA wrote:
pershoreharrier wrote:It does baffle me a little that the previous amateurs in charge of the Club generated significant income from player transfers in relatively recent years - Matt, Blissett, Lolley, Johnson and no doubt a few more that I have missed but those four alone brought in well over £750,000 - I have just remembered Dunkley for example.

I am probably being far too impatient but I thought we were assembling a squad of players being fully supported from the Acadamy that were going to be the target for Clubs in the Leagues above us and which would give us a substantial income stream. I recall Fane went for £30K to Oldham - Hodgkiss and Lowe were released and joined Macclesfield - ZFA and Tunnicliffe went to Fylde for nothing - Gnahoua went to Shrewsbury for nothing and a centre half signed by a previous regime to the current one ( I think) went to Birmingham City for £75k was it?

The bafflement is that our current professionals are some way behind our previous amateurs who may have just been lucky 4 or 5 times in a very short period of time but somehow I am not convinced by that thinking.

I can only hope that we will see gems such as those mentioned above and who gave us a great deal to celebrate come through to our first team in the next season or so and then go on to play in the Championship, League 1 and League 2 with the occasional appearance in the Premiership.
Is that the previous amateurs that gave big contracts out to the non scoring forwards Styche and Reid?
Yes to a degree some of the same amateurs were involved in giving the big contracts to Styche and Reid but not all by any means and of course some of those remain I believe on the current Board. However, my point is that we are lead to believe we are a Club with an Acadamy that brings on players in the right way to attract transfers to other Clubs higher in the pyramid and that this will form a major basis of the future financial stability and development of KHFC.

As I said maybe I am a little impatient to see this generating the seeds of the future income anticipated BUT the business plan identified a transfer fee income per annum which would clearly support the players whom we look to to achieve the promotion we all hope for but to date I do not see that transfer fee income being met.

The amateurs who were definitely by no means perfect at all did however, sign a number of players who very quickly generated very large transfer fees for the Club and it just seems to me that our current professionals seem far behind emulating such ability and it is that which I find somewhat baffling.

spitalfields
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by spitalfields » Sat May 12, 2018 8:40 am

Harrier1994 wrote:Marvin Johnson anyone? He had a shocking season the season Lolley was here. We offered him a contract purely to get money from him being under 24. No one wanted him so he signed back on here. He went onto have the best half season with us and we ended up selling him to Motherwell in the Janurary.
There are also the many examples of players released young after limited opportunity, who then come back to haunt us. I'm perplexed at the conclusion some have come to that Digie isn't good enough on the basis of how many games? There isn't any player I'm desperate to see the back of. Some need to develop their apparent potential more than others, but chopping and changing for the sake of having different names on the bench would seem pointless to me. Past performance is an indicator not a guarantee of future performance. Personally I think we have reached peak Sonupe, but have yet to see the best of Brown. But I'm sure many will choose to ridicule that view...

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Sat May 12, 2018 10:35 am

Sir Luke Medley wrote:Is that the same amateurs that sold players for 750k yet still took the club to the brink of administration and lost us our place in the National League due to years of mis-management?
Indeed some of the amateurs were involved in both the bringing in of players that very quickly brought about very substantial transfer fees to the Club and then made a series of very poor decisions that took the Club to the brink of administration. I am certainly not defending them for the huge mistakes that were made.

What I am saying is that the amateurs had an ability to bring in players that very quickly became significant transfers to other Clubs for substantial sums of money.

My bafflement is that the current professionals have yet to demonstrate that ability (it happened too many times under the amateurs in my opinion to be luck) but as I said perhaps I am being impatient. I would however, hope that when our professionals do manage to generate those very substantial transfer fees then their professionalism will ensure the money is spent far more wisely than the amateurs achieved.

sandman
1st team
1st team

Post by sandman » Sat May 12, 2018 11:11 am

Like last year, there is a chance some of the players offered deals will not accept them. It may be they have been offered less money or told they would be seen more as squad players. I'm a little underwhelmed like some but thinking about it we probably need 2 or 3 strong players in positions, IMO a central midfield minder, centre forward as competition or to play alongside Joe and perhaps a centre-half. It is hardly major surgery we require. There has to be a change in the mindset but sometimes one or two key players can bring that winning mentality i.e. Mike Marsh. You would have to assume the management are under contract for next season :red_army:

sandman
1st team
1st team

Post by sandman » Sat May 12, 2018 11:17 am

pershoreharrier wrote:
Indeed some of the amateurs were involved in both the bringing in of players that very quickly brought about very substantial transfer fees to the Club and then made a series of very poor decisions that took the Club to the brink of administration. I am certainly not defending them for the huge mistakes that were made.

What I am saying is that the amateurs had an ability to bring in players that very quickly became significant transfers to other Clubs for substantial sums of money.

My bafflement is that the current professionals have yet to demonstrate that ability (it happened too many times under the amateurs in my opinion to be luck) but as I said perhaps I am being impatient. I would however, hope that when our professionals do manage to generate those very substantial transfer fees then their professionalism will ensure the money is spent far more wisely than the amateurs achieved.
I think the success of the players and the money they brought into the club was largely down to the talents of the much-maligned Whild, Burr and their network - and less to do with the clowns on the board. Though to be fair the contract and subsequent deal done with Jamille Matt to join Fleetwood was very good indeed.

sandman
1st team
1st team

Post by sandman » Sat May 12, 2018 11:36 am

On the players offered terms:

Digie - still early days and not seen enough of him here. Has done enough on loan at other clubs to suggest he can at least be useful at this level. Bosman. Best position? Cover player, needs to nail down a position.
Truslove - will need less of an injury-ravaged season. Clearly has talent from his previous time here. Bosman.
Brown - brings goals, only 22, doesn't seem to fit into our formation but he's got talent. Bosman. I would imagine he may be back-up and might prefer to look for more first team opportunities.
McQuilkin - a very good footballer, probably wouldn't be an automatic first team choice if he stayed but very good back-up if he's happy as that.
Pearson - think we could find someone better but he does cover all defensive positions. Similar to Brown, may look elsewhere as I would guess he would be cover.
Ngwatala - be sad to see him go as you rarely see his class at this level. Has been wasted on the wing. I would wish him well at a higher league club and suggest he should be replaced with a defensive midfield minder who would bring some physicality to the midfield. Though they might not be as talented and unpredictable as Elton, I think the other midfielders can provide the creativity.

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Sat May 12, 2018 1:14 pm

sandman wrote:
pershoreharrier wrote:

I think the success of the players and the money they brought into the club was largely down to the talents of the much-maligned Whild, Burr and their network - and less to do with the clowns on the board.
Absolutely Sandman but unless I am blind I do not see that skill in the club at the moment and whilst JE is relatively new to management you would think CG and MG would have extensive networks upon which to draw.

sandman
1st team
1st team

Post by sandman » Sat May 12, 2018 2:13 pm

pershoreharrier wrote:
sandman wrote:
pershoreharrier wrote:

I think the success of the players and the money they brought into the club was largely down to the talents of the much-maligned Whild, Burr and their network - and less to do with the clowns on the board.
Absolutely Sandman but unless I am blind I do not see that skill in the club at the moment and whilst JE is relatively new to management you would think CG and MG would have extensive networks upon which to draw.
Pershore Harrier - it's an interesting point you make. They're not as prolific as Burr and Whild and the players seem to come from different sources rather than Midlands lower league clubs. We do have Hall, Horsfall, Taylor, Croasdale, Weeks, Sonupe, Ironside, Bradley, Brown, Austin, Truslove, Pearson signed by them but all dropped down from the Football League or via clubs at around our level I think.

I always thought the Burr and Whild way of recruiting generally was a better way to do it. Players on an upward career path and with lots of potential for improvement. You tend to get more gems than when you recruit from higher up and it's more cost-effective which I would have thought would suit us more than ever these days.

I think fans always see young players in lower leagues who they think could make the step up and I'd like to see us take a chance on a few more of those. I can't see us producing too many players ourselves because if you're a talented teenager with potential you're not going to be in the academy of a National League North club are you? We get the slow burners like Williams or Digie and in the former case he went on to a higher level for free I think (well OK undisclosed fee i.e. not much)? Maxwell will be a rarity IMO.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Sat May 12, 2018 2:59 pm

sandman wrote:On the players offered terms:

Digie - still early days and not seen enough of him here. Has done enough on loan at other clubs to suggest he can at least be useful at this level. Bosman. Best position? Cover player, needs to nail down a position.
Truslove - will need less of an injury-ravaged season. Clearly has talent from his previous time here. Bosman.
Brown - brings goals, only 22, doesn't seem to fit into our formation but he's got talent. Bosman. I would imagine he may be back-up and might prefer to look for more first team opportunities.
McQuilkin - a very good footballer, probably wouldn't be an automatic first team choice if he stayed but very good back-up if he's happy as that.
Pearson - think we could find someone better but he does cover all defensive positions. Similar to Brown, may look elsewhere as I would guess he would be cover.
Ngwatala - be sad to see him go as you rarely see his class at this level. Has been wasted on the wing. I would wish him well at a higher league club and suggest he should be replaced with a defensive midfield minder who would bring some physicality to the midfield. Though they might not be as talented and unpredictable as Elton, I think the other midfielders can provide the creativity.
Basically the players I felt should leave and who knows they might yet all go - even if they were to accept the contracts offered I can't see any of them being first choice and that's the rub - the team needs three or four quality additions to push those in certain positions I'm not convinced the squad that finished last season is good enough to win NN - and at the end of the day that's what KHFC should be aiming for.

The number one priority is a big guy to play alongside Horsfall - we got mullered too often last season from set pieces.

But Eustace will no doubt start the season with same old,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

It's what he does.
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Jonkers
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Jonkers » Sun May 13, 2018 11:22 am

I have been a Harriers fan for 35 years through the good times ( Jan Molby - Mark Yates - FL ) bad times Andy Thorns dark days and the last two seasons. I have decided not to renew my ST and take a seasons sabbatical. The only regret is that I will miss the friends made in the East Stand, yes the much maligned by some East Stand.
We have by common consent the most talented bunch of players in the league which our current management appear unable to motivate or indeed manage. That the management is still here despite the failure to get out of this god awful league is a dereliction of duty to the club and its loyal fans by the Chairman and the board.
So as long as the status quo / mediocrity is the norm its good by from me.

looking forward to coming back to young exciting team with ambition to improve but I wont hold my breath.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Sun May 13, 2018 12:03 pm

Jonkers wrote:I have been a Harriers fan for 35 years through the good times ( Jan Molby - Mark Yates - FL ) bad times Andy Thorns dark days and the last two seasons. I have decided not to renew my ST and take a seasons sabbatical. The only regret is that I will miss the friends made in the East Stand, yes the much maligned by some East Stand.
We have by common consent the most talented bunch of players in the league which our current management appear unable to motivate or indeed manage. That the management is still here despite the failure to get out of this god awful league is a dereliction of duty to the club and its loyal fans by the Chairman and the board.

looking forward to coming back to young exciting team with ambition to improve but I wont hold my breath.
That must be a very hard call, but I have a feeling you won't be on your own - there is a definite air of disillusionment among the fan base - some I've spoken to are taking a wait and see approach over the summer - I'm certainly in that camp.

Harrogate at home was a watershed for me last season - sort of summed up where Harriers are going under Eustace - I declined to go to the last six home games but I did go to the BPA play off.

Eustace might still find somewhere else over the summer - Oxford perhaps??
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

jamestheimpaler
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by jamestheimpaler » Sun May 13, 2018 3:02 pm

Jonkers wrote: We have by common consent the most talented bunch of players in the league which our current management appear unable to motivate or indeed manage. That the management is still here despite the failure to get out of this god awful league is a dereliction of duty to the club and its loyal fans by the Chairman and the board.

Elsewhere, I've see some comments about Billericay and their squad - along the lines of 'think how good that team would be with an actual manager in charge of those players and not that prima donna Tamplin'... Wonder whether that applies to us, as well? (Albeit JE is far from a Glenn Tamplin figure)

georged123
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by georged123 » Sun May 13, 2018 3:19 pm

pershoreharrier wrote:It does baffle me a little that the previous amateurs in charge of the Club generated significant income from player transfers in relatively recent years - Matt, Blissett, Lolley, Johnson and no doubt a few more that I have missed but those four alone brought in well over £750,000 - I have just remembered Dunkley for example.

I am probably being far too impatient but I thought we were assembling a squad of players being fully supported from the Acadamy that were going to be the target for Clubs in the Leagues above us and which would give us a substantial income stream. I recall Fane went for £30K to Oldham - Hodgkiss and Lowe were released and joined Macclesfield - ZFA and Tunnicliffe went to Fylde for nothing - Gnahoua went to Shrewsbury for nothing and a centre half signed by a previous regime to the current one ( I think) went to Birmingham City for £75k was it?

The bafflement is that our current professionals are some way behind our previous amateurs who may have just been lucky 4 or 5 times in a very short period of time but somehow I am not convinced by that thinking.

I can only hope that we will see gems such as those mentioned above and who gave us a great deal to celebrate come through to our first team in the next season or so and then go on to play in the Championship, League 1 and League 2 with the occasional appearance in the Premiership.
How was the Matt, Blissett, Lolley, Johnson, Dunkley etc money invested? We raised an incredible amount of money from those players and that money was totally wasted by the previous amateurs in charge.

From 2013-2016 we consistently received large fees for our players yet the quality of our squad consistently diminished, our expenditure increased and nothing was used to help the running or safeguarding of the club for the future. The club was ultimately ran in to the ground and we were relegated.

How anyone can defend those in charge during that period is beyond me.