Who's signed up for the 2018-2019 Squad

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Who's signed up for the 2018-2019 Squad

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Sun May 13, 2018 7:06 pm

Jonkers wrote:I have been a Harriers fan for 35 years through the good times ( Jan Molby - Mark Yates - FL ) bad times Andy Thorns dark days and the last two seasons. I have decided not to renew my ST and take a seasons sabbatical. The only regret is that I will miss the friends made in the East Stand, yes the much maligned by some East Stand.
We have by common consent the most talented bunch of players in the league which our current management appear unable to motivate or indeed manage. That the management is still here despite the failure to get out of this god awful league is a dereliction of duty to the club and its loyal fans by the Chairman and the board.
So as long as the status quo / mediocrity is the norm its good by from me.

looking forward to coming back to young exciting team with ambition to improve but I wont hold my breath.
I suppose a lot of it boils down to why do we watch football, or why do we watch Harriers.

You mention the social aspect and that is one part of it.

It is just in some people's blood. In others it isn't.

I can say with great certainty that I was closer to giving up on the Harriers when we were in the League and Watkiss was in charge, we had to suffer some of the worse football I have seen in 50 years at Aggborough. It may have been at a higher level, but it was dire.

Some fans go to see the team win, at whatever cost. Gladly watch the ball hoofed upfield at every opportunity. I can watch that on a park every Sunday morning for free.

Some fans are glory hunters. Only interested in following a team that wins trophies or gets promoted. Whatever floats your boat.

Whatever it is we don't have (and that is primarily success compared with clubs with greater budgets), what we do have is a young team playing attractive football
and winning most weeks. Each to his own opinion of course (and no-one on here will change mine).

Of course I am gutted as much as any fan, but that's life.
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Sun May 13, 2018 7:25 pm

georged123 wrote:
pershoreharrier wrote:It does baffle me a little that the previous amateurs in charge of the Club generated significant income from player transfers in relatively recent years - Matt, Blissett, Lolley, Johnson and no doubt a few more that I have missed but those four alone brought in well over £750,000 - I have just remembered Dunkley for example.

I am probably being far too impatient but I thought we were assembling a squad of players being fully supported from the Acadamy that were going to be the target for Clubs in the Leagues above us and which would give us a substantial income stream. I recall Fane went for £30K to Oldham - Hodgkiss and Lowe were released and joined Macclesfield - ZFA and Tunnicliffe went to Fylde for nothing - Gnahoua went to Shrewsbury for nothing and a centre half signed by a previous regime to the current one ( I think) went to Birmingham City for £75k was it?

The bafflement is that our current professionals are some way behind our previous amateurs who may have just been lucky 4 or 5 times in a very short period of time but somehow I am not convinced by that thinking.

I can only hope that we will see gems such as those mentioned above and who gave us a great deal to celebrate come through to our first team in the next season or so and then go on to play in the Championship, League 1 and League 2 with the occasional appearance in the Premiership.
How was the Matt, Blissett, Lolley, Johnson, Dunkley etc money invested? We raised an incredible amount of money from those players and that money was totally wasted by the previous amateurs in charge.

From 2013-2016 we consistently received large fees for our players yet the quality of our squad consistently diminished, our expenditure increased and nothing was used to help the running or safeguarding of the club for the future. The club was ultimately ran in to the ground and we were relegated.

How anyone can defend those in charge during that period is beyond me.
Georged 123 - you have totally missed my point - I am not defending those in charge over this period - my point is simply that those in charge over that period saw players signed to the Club of a quality which brought about very significant transfer fees into the Club. The fact that the money was not used wisely I would accept without hesitation.

My bafflement is simply that our current professional management team including our owner do not seem to be able to find such gems and develop them in a short time to generate significant sums from transfers to support the Club. I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that if they could achieve that level of income then the money would be spent far more wisely than occurred previously.

Edgar T Peaceful
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Edgar T Peaceful » Sun May 13, 2018 7:29 pm

Cal's Spongebag wrote:
Jonkers wrote:I have been a Harriers fan for 35 years through the good times ( Jan Molby - Mark Yates - FL ) bad times Andy Thorns dark days and the last two seasons. I have decided not to renew my ST and take a seasons sabbatical. The only regret is that I will miss the friends made in the East Stand, yes the much maligned by some East Stand.
We have by common consent the most talented bunch of players in the league which our current management appear unable to motivate or indeed manage. That the management is still here despite the failure to get out of this god awful league is a dereliction of duty to the club and its loyal fans by the Chairman and the board.

looking forward to coming back to young exciting team with ambition to improve but I wont hold my breath.
I suppose a lot of it boils down to why do we watch football, or why do we watch Harriers.

I can say with great certainty that I was closer to giving up on the Harriers when we were in the League and Watkiss was in charge, we had to suffer some of the worse football I have seen in 50 years at Aggborough. It may have been at a higher level, but it was dire.

Some fans go to see the team win, at whatever cost. Gladly watch the ball hoofed upfield at every opportunity. I can watch that on a park every Sunday morning for free.

Some fans are glory hunters. Only interested in following a team that wins trophies or gets promoted. Whatever floats your boat.

Whatever it is we don't have (and that is primarily success compared with clubs with greater budgets), what we do have is a young team playing attractive football
and winning most weeks. Each to his own opinion of course (and no-one on here will change mine).

+1 :like:

I bought my new season ticket immediately as the football at Harriers is often thrilling. An annoying result in the end but Harriers 4- Salford 4 was probably worth £50 on its own in terms of entertainment. (and I went to 5 or so away games too).

I watch with my 81 year old father in law who has lived all round the country and followed many non-league sides (Darlington, Halifax Town, Harrogate). He enjoys the football that Harriers currently play immensely.
Sam

Tamworth Harrier
1st team
1st team

Post by Tamworth Harrier » Sun May 13, 2018 8:21 pm

Edgar T Peaceful wrote:
Cal's Spongebag wrote:

+1 :like:

I bought my new season ticket immediately as the football at Harriers is often thrilling. An annoying result in the end but Harriers 4- Salford 4 was probably worth £50 on its own in terms of entertainment. (and I went to 5 or so away games too).

I watch with my 81 year old father in law who has lived all round the country and followed many non-league sides (Darlington, Halifax Town, Harrogate). He enjoys the football that Harriers currently play immensely.
If you went to five away games you will know where the problem lies. Our away form is desperate.

Tamworth Harrier
1st team
1st team

Post by Tamworth Harrier » Sun May 13, 2018 8:29 pm

For me there are three areas that eustace needs to sort. Firstly the away form. For two seasons now it has been dreadful.

Secondly he needs a big ball winning midfielder. Storer would have been perfect been apparently deemed not good enough.

And thirdly he needs to replace O’Connor with a big centre half to complement Horsfall. O’Connor is to small to play centre half at this level. Our defence is to small hence why we concede from so many set pieces and so many late goals when teams go more direct.

Do we be above and we have a chance ignore and we will have a season very similar to the last.

georged123
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by georged123 » Sun May 13, 2018 10:17 pm

pershoreharrier wrote:Georged 123 - you have totally missed my point - I am not defending those in charge over this period - my point is simply that those in charge over that period saw players signed to the Club of a quality which brought about very significant transfer fees into the Club. The fact that the money was not used wisely I would accept without hesitation.

My bafflement is simply that our current professional management team including our owner do not seem to be able to find such gems and develop them in a short time to generate significant sums from transfers to support the Club. I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that if they could achieve that level of income then the money would be spent far more wisely than occurred previously.
We have plenty of players that could be sold for decent fees if needed but the point is we don't really need to.

If needed, i'm sure we could get decent fees for Hall, Taylor, Horsfall, Croasdale, Bradley, Sonupe and Ironside and probably others too. Ironside had a few clubs after him around Christmas and I know Horsfall and Croasdale have been looked at by clubs higher up the pyramid.

I don't share your bafflement.

pb12345
1st team
1st team

Post by pb12345 » Mon May 14, 2018 12:10 pm

georged123 wrote:
pershoreharrier wrote:Georged 123 - you have totally missed my point - I am not defending those in charge over this period - my point is simply that those in charge over that period saw players signed to the Club of a quality which brought about very significant transfer fees into the Club. The fact that the money was not used wisely I would accept without hesitation.

We have plenty of players that could be sold for decent fees if needed but the point is we don't really need to.

If needed, i'm sure we could get decent fees for Hall, Taylor, Horsfall, Croasdale, Bradley, Sonupe and Ironside and probably others too. Ironside had a few clubs after him around Christmas and I know Horsfall and Croasdale have been looked at by clubs higher up the pyramid.

Agreed! Yes we had players that eventually went for fees, but this all takes time. I have said in the past, that under the Burr/Whild good years (which included of course whoever the directors were), I well remember that it took Burr a good 3 years or so to get hold of such quality , and to mould the players as a team that everyone wanted a piece of (so to speak).

I really does take TIME to build a club, and lets face it, after what happened CG and others are only now on the "same journey".

Gradually in those years, players were eventually really happy here, and signed on again year on year (plus added to squad). That is the ONLY way to build for success. In other words building the foundations, bit like a house really. Solid foundations make a house stronger! This has now started to happen again (as of the end of this season).
The players in the Burr/Whild days loved coming to play for the club, in fact some didn't want to go home......

Its beginning to happen again.......

Now, on to gems coming through the youth set up. This can also take years to come to fruition, and only very rarely does a side come across a real gem such as Lee Hughes, and more recently Joe Lolley (and he was discovered, rather than came though the youth system). Most clubs at this level can try to to find gems from the youth team, but if it was that easy.........

It may well be that there is a golden crop every so often, whereby we would benefit immensely. But please, we need to show a bit of patience, as the good times will come back. In the meantime enjoy the good football.

Yes I appreciate that the away form has been poor at times, but this will come. The only way we will ever be successful is if everyone sticks together.

I don't mind that people maybe moan after a poor display, I do sometimes, but the grand scheme is that I enjoy and think we will get success eventually. I am not a happy clapper, I think people should be allowed to vent their feelings as football is an emotive and emotional game.

Whether that be in the pub afterwards, on social media or whatever. As long as criticism is constructive.

Off on a tangent, I think fans should be actively encouraged to give constructive criticism by the club/media, as well as praise, but that subject is for another time, and another separate post.......

Mystic
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Mystic » Mon May 14, 2018 12:46 pm

Don't underestimate the power of continuity in football teams. We can hopefully start the season on the front foot given there should be very little "settling in" required.

S2RKK
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by S2RKK » Mon May 14, 2018 1:09 pm

georged123 wrote:

Cal's Spongebag wrote:

Ah at last some positive comments on the board, CONGRATULATIONS

It is true you either support the club through thick and thin or just be a fair-weather supporter, those of you that can remember the mid seventies it was dire football it even took Graham Alner 5 years to get a stable side to play decent football.

Its a pleasure to see decent football even if it doesn't get us out of the god forsaken league, certainly better than hoof ball.

Krasnyi
1st team
1st team

Post by Krasnyi » Mon May 14, 2018 1:51 pm

I find this whole 'decent football' v. 'hoofball' something of a false dichotomy. Those of us who are sceptical about the present management team's ability to get us back in the Conference do not necessarily advocate a win-at-all-costs approach. I'm all for playing football 'the right way' but that has to be and can be combined with defensive solidarity and more nous and steeliness throughout the side. That's why, apart from the possible addition of a big, commanding central defender and a midfield ball-winner, I don't think we do need to see too many changes over the summer assuming those currently contracted do stay with the club. We just need to develop a more professional and 'hard' mindset - this needs to be instilled in the players by the management, that's their job. I don't want to watch hoofball. I want to see us play attractively, dominate other teams and not throw leads away - it's not too much to ask and it can be done with pretty much the current squad. Whether it can be done with the current management I'm not so sure.

As an aside, I went to watch Shrewsbury win their play-off against Charlton yesterday. You can see why that side doesn't concede many - a hugely impressive back four that play as a unit in front of an accomplished keeper but they still play quick passing football. OK - a different league but that's the model for us to follow

Medieval
1st team
1st team

Post by Medieval » Mon May 14, 2018 3:47 pm

Another reason why it is apparently more difficult to generate revenue from transfer fees now than 3-4 seasons ago, were in a lower, regional division.

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Mon May 14, 2018 4:10 pm

Yes. A point I thought about making myself!

Also, with regard to the transfer income, you get peaks and troughs in any distribution. When was our last big fee before the Joe Lolley period?

Some understanding of statistics and sample size is useful and particularly regression to the mean!

:D :D
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

Northern Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Northern Harrier » Mon May 14, 2018 8:26 pm

Cal's Spongebag wrote:Yes. A point I thought about making myself!

Also, with regard to the transfer income, you get peaks and troughs in any distribution. When was our last big fee before the Joe Lolley period?

Some understanding of statistics and sample size is useful and particularly regression to the mean!

:D :D
I remember Molby signing a young striker and telling everyone he would be the clubs first £1million pound player...that went well didn't it!!

Its easy to say we should be finding all these gems and selling them on - but its going to take years of hard graft to find these young players, let alone convince them to come here!

Trialist

Post by Trialist » Mon May 14, 2018 10:44 pm

I'm not sure why people try and debate passing football v hoofball! You've got to have a balance in the team. You need players that can win the ball and stamp their authority on a game and you've got to have players that can pass it, have a bit more flair and win you games.

Our defensive performances this season were embarrassing at times and extremely unorganised. We lack height at the back and we haven't got anyone who can actually go and win the ball. No one takes responsibility to win the ball off corners and free kicks, hence why we concede so many in the last 10-15 minutes of games. We certainly aren't going to get promoted with our current back four. I can't say I'm a massive fan of O'Connor at centre half as he's not tall enough and doesn't win the ball. New centre half to partner Horsfall needed.

Not sure on resigning Mcquilkin! I get the feeling it's going to be same old same old in midfield with Croasdale, Weeks and Mcquilkin. I think we could do with some height in there and a fresh face.

Are we going to keep the formation from last two seasons? If Eustace stays, then I assume so. Dan Bradley has to play more centrally! I would love to just have two pacey wingers and someone up top with Ironside.

jamestheimpaler
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by jamestheimpaler » Mon May 14, 2018 11:44 pm

Trialist wrote:I'm not sure why people try and debate passing football v hoofball! You've got to have a balance in the team. You need players that can win the ball and stamp their authority on a game and you've got to have players that can pass it, have a bit more flair and win you games.

Our defensive performances this season were embarrassing at times and extremely unorganised. We lack height at the back and we haven't got anyone who can actually go and win the ball. No one takes responsibility to win the ball off corners and free kicks, hence why we concede so many in the last 10-15 minutes of games. We certainly aren't going to get promoted with our current back four. I can't say I'm a massive fan of O'Connor at centre half as he's not tall enough and doesn't win the ball. New centre half to partner Horsfall needed.

Not sure on resigning Mcquilkin! I get the feeling it's going to be same old same old in midfield with Croasdale, Weeks and Mcquilkin. I think we could do with some height in there and a fresh face.

Are we going to keep the formation from last two seasons? If Eustace stays, then I assume so. Dan Bradley has to play more centrally! I would love to just have two pacey wingers and someone up top with Ironside.

:like: :like: :like:

I would just like us to have some wingers at all! I'm really not sure that Manny nor Sam (when he ever gets a look in at what is his 'recognised' position) are actual wingers. They're just short and quick - neither have the attributes that would single a player out as having the qualities required to play on the wing. And as for Brown, Bradley, Elton, Truslove... whoever JE decides to call on to play in those wide roles... they just are NOT wingers.