Ed Williams

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Ed Williams

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:07 am

redandwhitemike wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:18 pm
HarrierN2 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:47 pm
As per the many valid points made across this thread, selling Ed Williams will definitely not prove that CG doesn't want promotion. I'd just hope that Ed will only be let go for a substantial amount of money. If he has several serious suitors then that should surely drive his value up way higher than 50k.
With respect to the point made regarding promotion, it is one thing to 'want' something, it is something on a completely different level to go all out to achieve that aim. At the moment the impression is one of a duck swimming serenely along the river against the current with his poor old legs paddling madly but making no headway - that is what it looks like to me.

Just what happens (to the business plan) if Harriers don't get promoted in the allotted time frame?
CG has put in half a million and the club is operating with crowds of around 1500. We can't afford an assistant manager and we have a small squad made up with 'kids'. In your opinion, NM is doing a great job with the resources he has. We are second in the league.

Mike, what specific strategies would you suggest the club adopt to 'go all out to achieve promotion'?
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

Mystic
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Mystic » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:09 pm

Zorro wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:56 pm
It's quite apparent to me that it's time the 'owner' (50%+ of the shares acquired through capitalising loans etc) put his cards on the table:

a) Is he in business with KHFC to maximise his return on selling players and maxismise revenue from the academy for his and his family's benefit;
or
b) does he want to retain the good players the best he can for he long term success and benefit of KHFC ??

Given this is the best season we seem to be having for many a year, and with such a great opportunity, the outcome of the Ed Williams situation will show his true colours surely? We now have the monies coming in from the academy, so presumably we should have gone beyond having to sell our best players to keep the club afloat? What is the aim here? Staging post for wannabees or long term ambitious successful football club?
Question - and this is purely out of interest - but who exactly is the owner? Is it Colin Gordon as an individual, is it his daughter(s), is it Colin Gordon's company?

And already posted twice on this but we're a team in the 6th tier anyone attracting interest at a higher level who will earn more money if they move and the club will get a transfer fee will move!!! It doesn't mean we're not ambitious.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:32 pm

Mystic wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:09 pm
Zorro wrote:
It's quite apparent to me that it's time the 'owner' (50%+ of the shares acquired through capitalising loans etc) put his cards on the table:

a) Is he in business with KHFC to maximise his return on selling players and maxismise revenue from the academy for his and his family's benefit;
or
b) does he want to retain the good players the best he can for he long term success and benefit of KHFC ??

Given this is the best season we seem to be having for many a year, and with such a great opportunity, the outcome of the Ed Williams situation will show his true colours surely? We now have the monies coming in from the academy, so presumably we should have gone beyond having to sell our best players to keep the club afloat? What is the aim here? Staging post for wannabees or long term ambitious successful football club?
Question - and this is purely out of interest - but who exactly is the owner? Is it Colin Gordon as an individual, is it his daughter(s), is it Colin Gordon's company?

And already posted twice on this but we're a team in the 6th tier anyone attracting interest at a higher level who will earn more money if they move and the club will get a transfer fee will move!!! It doesn't mean we're not ambitious.
Reference my earlier post - it's all relevant to the priorities.

Is the priority promotion or survival - with club in dire straits financially, living hand to mouth it would appear that keeping the club going at the expense of everything else has to come first (obviously) With KHFC now being a multi faceted entity and just not a first team playing in NN the drain on revenue must affect the playing budget - where did the money CG invested in KHFC end up - no one seems to have an answer to that, my guess is not too much went on the playing budget - hence no assistant manager.

Ed Williams sale fee (IF there is one) will tell us a lot about the state of the nation - mind you it could be 'Undisclosed',,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :roll:

Oh ! I forgot CG has nothing to hide ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sorry :oops2:

On the question of who is the owner - in the recent transcript of shareholders Colin Gordon does NOT appear as having any, but his agency holds approx 76% of the shares

Still think the duck needs to paddle quicker.
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:34 pm

I would imagine a club running at a loss for the last few years could easily swallow up hundreds of thousands.

You talk about priorities as if it was all black and white.

Is the priority promotion or survival?

Are you serious? Dozens of failed clubs who prioritised promotion and ended up relegated several divisions or/or bankrupt.

Care to answer my earlier question about what would YOU do?

All you seem to do is criticise everyone else.
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

Northern Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Northern Harrier » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:09 pm

Cal's Spongebag wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:34 pm
I would imagine a club running at a loss for the last few years could easily swallow up hundreds of thousands.

You talk about priorities as if it was all black and white.

Is the priority promotion or survival?

Are you serious? Dozens of failed clubs who prioritised promotion and ended up relegated several divisions or/or bankrupt.

Care to answer my earlier question about what would YOU do?

All you seem to do is criticise everyone else.
I'd also like to add that WE ARE A CLUB that prioritised promotion and ended up being relegated and very nearly bankrupt! Several times over I might add!

In an ideal world we would have a chairman who will get us to the promised land and pay for it all....oh wait - we did! However - it was unsustainable in the extreme (Lionel was putting a £1Million a year in by the way..) so unless we can find a white knight prepared to put that level of investment in and write it off - we are where we are.

For all the criticism, Colin is trying to create a more sustainable business model for the club to survive long term - was it ever going to be a simple process of course not. For people to think its black and white is absurd!!

Harrier1994
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harrier1994 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:48 am

Medieval
1st team
1st team

Post by Medieval » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Well deserved!

TJU'S
1st team
1st team

Post by TJU'S » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:59 pm

Hate to admit it but Mystic Mikes sentiments are spot on in the cold light of day. It will happen and all we can hope for is an auction so we can get a better deal

Jackygold55
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Jackygold55 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:49 am

redandwhitemike wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:32 pm
Mystic wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:09 pm
Zorro wrote:

or

Reference my earlier post - it's all relevant to the priorities.

Is the priority promotion or survival - with club in dire straits financially, living hand to mouth it would appear that keeping the club going at the expense of everything else has to come first (obviously) With KHFC now being a multi faceted entity and just not a first team playing in NN the drain on revenue must affect the playing budget - where did the money CG invested in KHFC end up - no one seems to have an answer to that, my guess is not too much went on the playing budget - hence no assistant manager.

Ed Williams sale fee (IF there is one) will tell us a lot about the state of the nation - mind you it could be 'Undisclosed',,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :roll:

Oh ! I forgot CG has nothing to hide ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sorry :oops2:

On the question of who is the owner - in the recent transcript of shareholders Colin Gordon does NOT appear as having any, but his agency holds approx 76% of the shares

Still think the duck needs to paddle quicker.
The question I always ask myself is if CG was planning to take all his money back out again, why did he make ridiculous signings such as Bradley for 70k. Essentially, KHFC paid for that signing, not CG. If we'd of saved that money, we'd now be in a better place financially with Eddie Williams who is a better player.

Medieval
1st team
1st team

Post by Medieval » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:22 am

Presumably he was taking a punt on promotion, backfired. Also at that time he wouldn`t have known he would sign Williams, or the impact he would make. Crystal ball & all that.

Jackygold55
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Jackygold55 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:45 am

Medieval wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:22 am
Presumably he was taking a punt on promotion, backfired. Also at that time he wouldn`t have known he would sign Williams, or the impact he would make. Crystal ball & all that.
Crystal ball yes. But the best players we've signed recently have been free transfers, that 70k was ludicrous and now it really does show.

Also chasing promotion? That's even more reason to show that it was an unsustainable 'punt', as you say, withouy using his own capital.

Crianza
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Crianza » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:00 am

Think it is a fact that KHFC did not fund the purchase of Dan Bradley, but a couple who are long standing supporters of the club.

spitalfields
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by spitalfields » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:36 am

Crianza wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:00 am
Think it is a fact that KHFC did not fund the purchase of Dan Bradley, but a couple who are long standing supporters of the club.
I hope you're not trying to counter some people's pre-determined narrative with the use of facts?

tomtom93
Reserves
Reserves

Post by tomtom93 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:45 am

Zorro wrote:

or

c) He is a human being and would respect the wishes of a player that wanted to leave to better his career, play at a higher level and earn more money for him and his family.

No way as fans should we be expecting the club to prevent players from potentially progressing in their careers.

Jackygold55
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Jackygold55 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:01 pm

spitalfields wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:36 am
Crianza wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:00 am
I hope you're not trying to counter some people's pre-determined narrative with the use of facts?
Wasnt the money sent from the couple meant to go towards development of the KHFC youth centre? Could be wrong on that, but wouldnt be the first time the club had earmarked money for a project and spent elsewhere.