Ed Williams

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, garthrockett, harriershane

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Ed Williams

Post by Phil » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:39 pm

Zorro
1st team
1st team

Re: Ed Williams

Post by Zorro » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:46 pm

Phil wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:39 pm
Being watched by Villa, Derby, Ipswich and Leeds.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-hope-beat-leeds-15194681

We also need to get his contract sorted too:

https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-leeds-in-hunt-to-sign-williams/
I fear if we lose him soon it will mean yet another season in NLN.

Great model for the players, management (Eustace, Gards etc), owner, academy profile etc etc but a bum deal for the long suffering faithful fans who have to keep suffering the watching of football at this c**p level instead of any substantive team progression.

Don’t tell me - I should be grateful we have a team to support. Lol

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:49 pm

I can almost hear the sigh of relief from here.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:11 pm

Zorro wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:46 pm
Phil wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:39 pm
Being watched by Villa, Derby, Ipswich and Leeds.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-hope-beat-leeds-15194681

We also need to get his contract sorted too:

https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-leeds-in-hunt-to-sign-williams/
I fear if we lose him soon it will mean yet another season in NLN.

Great model for the players, management (Eustace, Gards etc), owner, academy profile etc etc but a bum deal for the long suffering faithful fans who have to keep suffering the watching of football at this c**p level instead of any substantive team progression.

Don’t tell me - I should be grateful we have a team to support. Lol

THIS

The only (remote) hope is for the player to loaned back to Harriers as part of a deal.

With so many FL league clubs watching Ed it will be an auction come January and CG will no doubt take the money as he couldn't possibly stand in his way - not to mention it will help to pay of the debt ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :roll:

As stated - poor old Joe Public will pay the price of watching another season of NN football.

I guess it's a given without a pot to P**s in :rage:
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:29 pm

Good luck to him.

Relegation was rubbish. Looking at the success recently promoted north teams have, we have probably had a side for the last two seasons that could have held its own at that level. But it doesn't work like that does it! Especially when you perform poorly in play-off games.

We have a good manager and some exciting players to watch. Enjoy the good times and the goals and the wins. We might be here a while.

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:55 pm

Can understand why, and I've made the comparison with Lolley based on the goals I've seen and his performance against Stockport. Is there a transfer window we can now keep him until (January?) or not? I'd rather keep hold of him, but that's an impossible dream. What would be better would be a decent fee, plus a loan-back until the end of the season. The former is a huge part of Colin's model for the club, so if he can get a decent fee, he'll be off.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:03 pm

We will be here at lot longer if we sell the players capable of getting us out of this league - and I would suggest that whilst having exciting players we seem to get a glimpse before they are off to new pastures where they often seem to drift from view.

Rabbit needs to be pulled out of hat here if he is sold a la Fleetwood who when they sold Vardy managed to keep him till the end of the season. I recall talking to Serrell about this when Lolley left - If we kept Lolley till the end of the season before he joined Huddersfield then we would not get as much money as if he left in January and heaven forbid what would happen if he broke his leg in April!!

The dollars rule as always - mind you wasn't Marvin linked with a move to Man City at one time!!

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:04 pm

If I didnt know better I might suppose the above newspaper articles were subtedly placed by certain persons to increase any potential fee young Ed could command in the future. :cool:
He's gone nowhere yet. Lets see what happens.......
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

Medieval
1st team
1st team

Post by Medieval » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:57 pm

With Bradley being a similar type of player, can`t see us standing in his way until the end of the season.

HarrierN2
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by HarrierN2 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:59 pm

This is the really sad part of the modern game. Kim Casey scores 73 goals for us and eagerly lines up for us at the start of the following season. Lolley/Williams score regularly in the first ten games of the season and it's almost a given that they'll be gone by Christmas.

All we can hope is that there are so many suitors that either:
- One agrees to loan him back to us for the rest of the season, as suggested above or;
- We get an insane amount of money for him.

Surely it has to be worth £100,000 a season in crowd revenue to get promoted back up into the league above. So I think anything less than that as a transfer fee represents very bad business. And the "not standing in the way of players" argument doesn't hold much water if he's free to go at the end of season anyway.

What a shame we didn't sign him on a 2 year deal. But then hindsight is everything...

abdousall
Youth team
Youth team

Post by abdousall » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:53 am

It's looking odd's on he'll go somewhere based on the interest he's generating. Good luck to him. We should make the most of his current good form and then get Atherstone's number 3 in as a replacement when he goes.

Mystic
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Mystic » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:57 am

As I said in another thread if we are receiving an adequate transfer fee then a team playing in League 6 which doesn't have a sugar daddy owner has to take the money! Then we go out and find another gem...

Accept the reality guys.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:24 pm

Mystic wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:57 am
As I said in another thread if we are receiving an adequate transfer fee then a team playing in League 6 which doesn't have a sugar daddy owner has to take the money! Then we go out and find another gem...

Accept the reality guys.
The reality is that if you keep on selling your best players you will never get promoted - that's hardly acceptable :roll:
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:35 pm

CG has spelt out his plan enough times.

If a player is worth more to another club than to us, then we take the money. Simple.

If you want to support a club which doesn't sell its best players, you will have a pretty limited range of clubs to go for.

Reminds me a bit of the joke about the man who asks a woman if she'll have sex with him for £1m. She says yes. He then asks her if
she will have sex with him for £10. She says NO! What sort of a girl do you think I am! The man says we have already established that.

Someone offers £1m for Williams, we take the cash. Someone offers £10k we tell him to clear off.
Every one of our players has got a price.

Its very naive to think otherwise.
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

Jonkers
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Jonkers » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:20 pm

I am with Zorro on this surely its best in the Medium / Long term to retain our best players and get promoted more money bigger gates etc. If we get a substantial fee will it go into the players budget or disappear as per Joe Lolly.