New players?

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: New players?

Post by garthrockett » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:06 pm

Watched Hemmings play for Alty in the streamed FA Cup match at Halesowen, and he played a lot more central than what Id call a traditional winger role; in fact more in the Ed Williams position but on the right....
Plenty of pace which is sorely needed too.

Fingers crossed.
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

sandman
1st team
1st team

Post by sandman » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:44 pm

Would be a good signing and competition for Ed Williams as well as able to play on wing.

Medieval
1st team
1st team

Post by Medieval » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:58 pm

Looked lively against us & wanted the ball, good signing.

Can only hope we do move away from 3-5-2.

Simple simon
Youth team
Youth team

Post by Simple simon » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:44 pm

Did he only sign for alty as a stop gap then as was rumoured to be coming to kiddy before that

harriershane
1st team
1st team

Post by harriershane » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:14 pm

Could this yield a change to a back 4?

Keeper
Austin Johnson Williams Davidson
Milan weeks
Ed
Chambers Peniket hemmings

I’d imagine chambers and hemmings would expect to play; and Peniket has clearly been brought in to be a focal point so must surely play a significant part. Could we see Ed in a central free role between the forwards and midfield with chambers and hemmings flanking Peniket? We know how hemmings likes to cut in which would create space for the overlap. Will be interesting to see how this plays out
He who dares...wins

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:30 pm

harriershane wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:14 pm

Keeper
Milan weeks
Ed

I’d imagine chambers and hemmings would expect to play; and Peniket has clearly been brought in to be a focal point so must surely play a significant part. Could we see Ed in a central free role between the forwards and midfield with chambers and hemmings flanking Peniket? We know how hemmings likes to cut in which would create space for the overlap. Will be interesting to see how this plays out
A two man midfield?!?!

Really interested to see how this turns out. A conventional 4-3-3 would work, but suspect it may be closer to 4-4-2. Either way, different from what we've seen under Pembo so far.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:39 pm

Simple simon wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:44 pm
Did he only sign for alty as a stop gap then as was rumoured to be coming to kiddy before that
He was on loan with them until January but Fylde recalled him.

Swansea Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Swansea Harrier » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:40 pm

4-4-2 with Ed and Hemmings out wide? Not sure I fancy shunting Chambers out wide in a 4-3-3.

But then Hemmings hasn't officially signed yet so I won't get too far ahead of myself!

harriershane
1st team
1st team

Post by harriershane » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:42 pm

harry211 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:30 pm
harriershane wrote:

Keeper
Milan weeks
Ed

A two man midfield?!?!

Really interested to see how this turns out. A conventional 4-3-3 would work, but suspect it may be closer to 4-4-2. Either way, different from what we've seen under Pembo so far.
I’ve realised I’ve missed Moyo. Swap Moyo for Johnson.

I think Ed would be asked to drop in but when going forward he can do what he pleases pretty much so some kind of 4-3-3. My worry with the 4-4-2 is who we potentially waste out wide when both chambers and hemmings are very attacking. Could be interesting though
He who dares...wins

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:47 pm

harriershane wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:42 pm
harry211 wrote:
harriershane wrote:

Keeper
Milan weeks
Ed

A two man midfield?!?!

I think Ed would be asked to drop in but when going forward he can do what he pleases pretty much so some kind of 4-3-3. My worry with the 4-4-2 is who we potentially waste out wide when both chambers and hemmings are very attacking. Could be interesting though
I think you can make it work, but I have a theory that the demise of the 4-4-2 is much overrated and it's still a decent formation. So what do I know?

Think that formation would leave us wanting in the middle. Weeks and Butterfield are both decent at going forward and have that tendancy...
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

harriershane
1st team
1st team

Post by harriershane » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:59 pm

harry211 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:47 pm
harriershane wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:42 pm
harry211 wrote:
harriershane wrote:

Keeper
Milan weeks
Ed

A two man midfield?!?!

I think you can make it work, but I have a theory that the demise of the 4-4-2 is much overrated and it's still a decent formation. So what do I know?

Think that formation would leave us wanting in the middle. Weeks and Butterfield are both decent at going forward and have that tendancy...
I actually agree with you re 4-4-2; there’s a place for it used correctly. I suppose things will become apparent with other signings. A defensive midfielder has never often blessed us with his registration have they, Croasdale excepted. Let’s look on the bright side. We’re talking about football again!
He who dares...wins

HarrierN2
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by HarrierN2 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:39 pm

The best thing about this potential Hemmings news is that it points to the fact that we'd be looking to bring in quality players, as opposed to just squad filling.

Simple simon
Youth team
Youth team

Post by Simple simon » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:41 pm

What's happened to luke maxwell at Solihull, notice not getting a lot of game time

PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:02 pm

Simple simon wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:41 pm
What's happened to luke maxwell at Solihull, notice not getting a lot of game time
He was another who was rumoured to be signing for Harriers when the Hemmings rumour first went round.

Edgar T Peaceful
1st team
1st team

Post by Edgar T Peaceful » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:40 pm

Great! Thought Hemmings looked to be Altrincham's best player by a country mile when they played us. Strong, direct and wiley.

Looked to me like more of an inside forward than an out and out winger but I imagine he can play a number of positions across the front (..fires up Football Manager 2018).
Sam