2021/22 Friendlies

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

Harry Aire
Subs bench
Subs bench

Re: 2021/22 Friendlies

Post by Harry Aire » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:47 am

I think we should put out our strongest available side on Saturday and try to win a game. Everyone says results don't matter in a pre-season but 4 defeats in a row is pretty disastrous for any team in any context. Not sure mixing academy lads and triallists in with regulars is doing anything to build team cohesion and team spirit.

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by tonythescout » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:47 am

Not taken in a game yet though I will be at the Utd game. Totally agree about playing strongest team Saturday and v utd, not only just to get a win but with the aim of them settling in a bit together ready for the trip to York. (trying to beat Utd is a tall order I agree lol). If the trialists arent quite there then get shot, same with the academy lads who aren't ready, send them back to play against lads their age at that standard.

Watching the highlights, yes some are against higher league opposition but some of the goals conceded are something you would see over Brown Westhead Park on a Sunday morning and its a massive concern. Defensively we weren't great last year anyway, and it went further down hill when Taylor wasn't playing. Lowe isn't getting any younger. Moyo (yes injured at present) is average at best. May be good to see Carrington at right back?
Another concern is the comments about the 'senior players', for years they have been questioned and not performed. Are they being asked too much or just cant cope? Either shape up or ship out should be the call from Penn. We arent far off signings wise competing for a top 7 IMO. Still think staying Full Time is bonkers. Stourbridge, on paper, seem to have a better side than us. Montel and Cowley up front would walk into our starting 11.

We lack a decent no.9. AMS isn't the answer and Freemantle is a decent target man but very raw, given the stage he is at he wont get us 15-20 goals next season. I don't think this 4231 formation helps. I don't get why we just go 442 like most teams, with Austin and Montrose in the middle and Hemmo and OSJ out wide. Hopefully see a decent centre back with a bit of pace to come in to go with Lowe (would love to see Taylor return) and a centre forward.

Refreshing to see Russ honest in his assessment and is looking to correct things.

TWG85
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by TWG85 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:06 pm

Think it's really tough to judge currently as they only have 14 first team players, but there does look to be a regression from last season, for me.

Are they gonna get the required depth, I'm not convinced. Especially with Russ saying the market isn't there. Think they're gonna need at least another three. A centre-half, centre midfielder & covering full-back now with Cliff out. The prior two of high-quality.

Also I hope we're not in for another season of constant tantrums if they fail to play 4-4-2. Had an ear-full of that last year. And I don't know all these teams that play it. Chester & Brackley are the only two in the league that I know of that played it last year, and you certainly don't see a lot in elite level football, these days.

HarrierN2
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by HarrierN2 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:23 pm

Surely it's not unreasonable to bemoan not playing two strikers up top if we end up in that "one shot on goal at home" territory again? In any case, it'll be different with fans in the ground - they're going to be vocal about it.

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by tonythescout » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:09 pm

Just seen the highlights from last night, the two goals conceded second half are a joke. Lowe involved in both. Hopefully its a one off. the first one poor pass and no closing down. question marks on the keeper too.
Russ has his work cut out.

TWG85
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by TWG85 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:18 pm

HarrierN2 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:23 pm
Surely it's not unreasonable to bemoan not playing two strikers up top if we end up in that "one shot on goal at home" territory again? In any case, it'll be different with fans in the ground - they're going to be vocal about it.
Well I struggle to see how one has anything to do with the other. Plus you've got attacking talent in midfield like Austin, Hemmings & OSJ. And we haven't really seen what Nyal Bell has in the locker yet.

And again, hardly anybody plays 4-4-2 anymore. Even in this league. That's the reality. How do all these teams create chances? I shouldn't be too rude, but I just roll my eyes and think folks sound like football dinosaurs.

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:21 pm

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by tonythescout » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:42 pm

TWG85 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:18 pm
HarrierN2 wrote:
Well I struggle to see how one has anything to do with the other. Plus you've got attacking talent in midfield like Austin, Hemmings & OSJ. And we haven't really seen what Nyal Bell has in the locker yet.

And again, hardly anybody plays 4-4-2 anymore. Even in this league. That's the reality. How do all these teams create chances? I shouldn't be too rude, but I just roll my eyes and think folks sound like football dinosaurs.
Yeah cos our modern way of football as been so successful over the past couple of seasons hasnt it. Chorleys system and 442 formation didnt do them any harm did it? I get its all opinions but I reject being called a dinosaur.

HarrierN2
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by HarrierN2 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:56 pm

TWG85 wrote:
HarrierN2 wrote:

I was careful to say two up top, rather than 4-4-2. How many teams in our league play only one striker? And I agree that, in principle, our midfield attacking talent should result in more chances. Problem is that last season it didn't, not with a lone striker. I still think that not having a creative midfielder like Croasdale/Weeks is a big part of the problem.

TWG85
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by TWG85 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:57 pm

tonythescout wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:42 pm
TWG85 wrote:
HarrierN2 wrote:

Yeah cos our modern way of football as been so successful over the past couple of seasons hasnt it. Chorleys system and 442 formation didnt do them any harm did it? I get its all opinions but I reject being called a dinosaur.
Again, Tony. It's not just Harriers. It's widespread. I could go down the teams in the league & very few used 4-4-2 as their predominant formation last season. Yet they still create chances & score goals. What does that tell you. As for Chorley, when they went up they played 4-2-3-1.

Look, I don't want to turn this into a heated argument over something so trivial as football formations. And if they play it, I'm all for it. But the absolute insistence & toy-throwing at times last year was just daft. As for the label, you can reject it all you like.

HarrierN2 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:56 pm
I was careful to say two up top, rather than 4-4-2. How many teams in our league play only one striker? And I agree that, in principle, our midfield attacking talent should result in more chances. Problem is that last season it didn't, not with a lone striker. I still think that not having a creative midfielder like Croasdale/Weeks is a big part of the problem.
A lot.

If you want me to list some Gloucester played 5-4-1 if you're negatively inclined, 3-4-3 if you're positively. Gateshead played 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. Boston 4-3-3 after playing 4-4-2 the season before. Darlington have always been a 4-2-3-1 team under Armstrong, but experimented with 4-4-2 at times. Bradford play 4-2-3-1, Fylde 4-2-3-1. Guiseley, Leamington, Spennymoor....

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by tonythescout » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:10 pm

i recall under burr we played a 4312 with the 1 being marv or lolley or pilkington roaming flank to flank, perhaps that with hemmings as the 1 may work?
i have rejected it thank you twg85, let me know when youve won a few trophies as a manager and i may accept it lol

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by tonythescout » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:12 pm

harriern2 i agree re the lack of attacking midfield 'contribution', therefore if it doesnt work with the current crop perhaps try something else i.e. 2 up front?

Edgar T Peaceful
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Edgar T Peaceful » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:39 pm

Didn't see the last couple of games but the frailty is getting a bit worrying. The Moyo injury is a real kick in the teeth as he's arguably our best defensive player.

What happened to player H who was on trial. Has he been snapped up elsewhere?
Sam

Edgar T Peaceful
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Edgar T Peaceful » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:47 pm

tonythescout wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:12 pm
harriern2 i agree re the lack of attacking midfield 'contribution', therefore if it doesnt work with the current crop perhaps try something else i.e. 2 up front?
Sam Austin is flourishing in the number 10 role. I don't think you can ask any more from him. He's been a different player since moving there.

We need a goalscoring striker, but then who doesn't?

The defence is really worrying. Lowe looked sloppy and slow in the Stratford game and Moyo's out long term.
Sam

PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:06 pm

tonythescout wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:10 pm
i recall under burr we played a 4312 with the 1 being marv or lolley or pilkington roaming flank to flank, perhaps that with hemmings as the 1 may work?
i have rejected it thank you twg85, let me know when youve won a few trophies as a manager and i may accept it lol
Here's a nice comparison for you, 2013/14 season with Lolly, Malbon and Gash in the team playing under Steve Burr in the first 15 league games we scored 24 goals. Last season in our only 15 league games we played and with Russ Penns preferred formation, we scored 24 goals.