3rd round. Who do we want? We get Reading

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

Harry Err
Subs bench
Subs bench

Re: 3rd round. Who do we want? We get Reading

Post by Harry Err » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:42 pm

Medieval wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:11 pm
Flashheart wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:03 pm
TWG85 wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:00 pm
Flashheart wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:50 pm
TWG85 wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:48 pm
Won't be attending, but all for the passports.
Passports which do nothing, you mean? Passports which don’t stop you getting it or spreading it? How anyone can think this is acceptable is beyond me
Yep. Those, Flashheart.
So whether you agree with them or not, passports are useless and ineffective either way then?
If passports encourage non jabbers to get jabbed, then they have done some good for all.
They are a total waste of time and are purely theatrical. The same rules were in place for the Euros this summer and most people just provided "proof" of a lateral flow test.

The more conscientious attendees actually bothered to get hold of their own LFT but in most cases just scanned the QR code without actually doing the test as you just needed the NHS text or email as proof. Many others just used screenshots of other people's notifications.

I didn't hear of anyone changing their mind to get the jab purely on the basis of vaccine passports being imposed simply because there is no need to.

Harry Err
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harry Err » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:51 pm

harry211 wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:24 pm
Covid passports for the Reading game then if my reading of the new restrictions is right. More costs and complications for the club and fans.
According to the rules there should be no need to implement them for any game at Aggborough.

It is not an outdoor event with more than 4000 unseated people nor is it an outdoor venue with more than 10,000 in total attendance.

Medieval
1st team
1st team

Post by Medieval » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:56 pm

Harry Err wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:42 pm
Medieval wrote:
Flashheart wrote:
TWG85 wrote:
Flashheart wrote:
TWG85 wrote:
Passports which do nothing, you mean? Passports which don’t stop you getting it or spreading it? How anyone can think this is acceptable is beyond me
Yep. Those, Flashheart.
So whether you agree with them or not, passports are useless and ineffective either way then?
If passports encourage non jabbers to get jabbed, then they have done some good for all.
They are a total waste of time and are purely theatrical. The same rules were in place for the Euros this summer and most people just provided "proof" of a lateral flow test.

The more conscientious attendees actually bothered to get hold of their own LFT but in most cases just scanned the QR code without actually doing the test as you just needed the NHS text or email as proof. Many others just used screenshots of other people's notifications.

I didn't hear of anyone changing their mind to get the jab purely on the basis of vaccine passports being imposed simply because there is no need to.
Presumably a more robust system will be put in place.

I don`t know anyone not jabbed to ask if it would make a difference to their intention. If their liberties were reduced my guess is many would change their mind, subject to easy loop holes being filled of course.

Harry Err
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harry Err » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:03 pm

Medieval wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:56 pm
Harry Err wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:42 pm
Medieval wrote:
Flashheart wrote:
TWG85 wrote:
Flashheart wrote:
TWG85 wrote:
Yep. Those, Flashheart.

Presumably a more robust system will be put in place.

I don`t know anyone not jabbed to ask if it would make a difference to their intention. If their liberties were reduced my guess is many would change their mind, subject to easy loop holes being filled of course.
The proposed system in England and indeed the systems currently in operation in both Scotland and Wales are all identical. The loopholes are so significant it makes the whole process completely pointless.

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:26 pm

The point of this thread is the Reading game. Not the pros and cons of newly announced rules where people can throw around terms like "medical apartheid". Stick to the topic.

My initial rough thinking was that with the North and South stand at capacity it might take it over the 4,000 threshold.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:29 pm

In which case it makes things very interesting if the match is to be televised live.
The club could put a 3,995 limit on the gate and make passports are a moot point. :roll:
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

Jasper
1st team
1st team

Post by Jasper » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:39 pm

Medieval wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:39 pm
Flashheart wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:23 pm
Medieval wrote:
Flashheart wrote:
TWG85 wrote:
Flashheart wrote:
TWG85 wrote:
Yep. Those, Flashheart.
Listen, I’m fully vaccinated and that was my personal choice, even though I am low risk from Covid. I respect the decision of those who have chosen not to get vaccinated though, because I am pro-choice and I would expect the same courtesy from others.
I don`t wish for this to be an argument over the jab on a football site, but i think you miss the point. The jab it is not only to protect you, but also to protect others, some may be vulnerable.
As a matter of information having the jab doesn't protect others, it doesn't stop you transmitting or getting the virus.

Harry Err
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harry Err » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:11 pm

garthrockett wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:29 pm
In which case it makes things very interesting if the match is to be televised live.
The club could put a 3,995 limit on the gate and make passports are a moot point. :roll:
The limit is 10,000 in total or 4,000 standing. Even if Reading sell out the entire south stand I think that is only just over 3,000 maximum on both terraces combined so no danger of us hitting the limit.

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:27 pm

The limit is 10,000 in total or 4,000 standing. Even if Reading sell out the entire south stand I think that is only just over 3,000 maximum on both terraces combined so no danger of us hitting the limit.
Harry Err,
Apologies, after digging around on a few non league websites for an hour or so, general consensus agrees with the above.
It would be nice if the National League committee put out a statement to this affect, especially as it affects Grimsby, Notts Co etc and the other NL clubs with big followings.
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

Harry Err
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harry Err » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:41 pm

garthrockett wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:27 pm
Harry Err,
Apologies, after digging around on a few non league websites for an hour or so, general consensus agrees with the above.
It would be nice if the National League committee put out a statement to this affect, especially as it affects Grimsby, Notts Co etc and the other NL clubs with big followings.
I agree that would make sense. I saw that the BHA has already done that for horse racing so I assume most other sports governing bodies will look to follow suit over the next few days.

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:31 am

Jasper wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:39 pm
Medieval wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:39 pm
Flashheart wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:23 pm
Medieval wrote:
Flashheart wrote:
TWG85 wrote:
Flashheart wrote:
TWG85 wrote:
Yep. Those, Flashheart.
Listen, I’m fully vaccinated and that was my personal choice, even though I am low risk from Covid. I respect the decision of those who have chosen not to get vaccinated though, because I am pro-choice and I would expect the same courtesy from others.
I don`t wish for this to be an argument over the jab on a football site, but i think you miss the point. The jab it is not only to protect you, but also to protect others, some may be vulnerable.
As a matter of information having the jab doesn't protect others, it doesn't stop you transmitting or getting the virus.
It protects others as those that are vaccinated are less likely to end up in hospital. I assume most people hope an ambulance, doctor, medical professional and hospital bed (and all the necessary resources, time and attention that go with it) are all readily available should they or a loved one need it (for non-covid reasons). The more folk that are vaccinated then the less medical resources are taken up with the non-vaccinated and their covid complications. So yes, being vaccinated is better for the greater good. I hope that if my elderly relatives have a fall at home that they are not waiting for six hours on the floor because the NHS cannot cope.

Transmissibility - ideas have changed on this over time. Yes, the protection to those vaccinated from getting it and spreading it seems to wane over time. Hence the booster.

But hey. Do what you like. Sorry, not the place for it I know.

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:04 pm

We won't be on TV then.

West Ham v Leeds. Wow, something different
https://twitter.com/EmiratesFACup/status/1468913819531374593 https://twitter.com/itvfootball/status/1468914041200517120

Jasper
1st team
1st team

Post by Jasper » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:43 pm

What's the BBC schedule?

It's a pity they haven't picked any London clubs :; !!!
Last edited by Jasper on Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:44 pm

Jasper wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:43 pm
What's the BBC schedule?

Hull v Everton reserves
Man Utd reserves v Villa reserves

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:52 pm

Un-be-fecking-lievable.

Are there any other ‘extended highlights’ options still be be selected and our game shifted?
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin