The new season's coming

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: The new season's coming

Post by harry211 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:16 pm

I don't think expectations and morale has been this high since the season after we nearly won the Conference in 2012/2013. I've not seen any of the new players play, but Byrne, Lowe, Ceesay all appear to be very good signings in particular. The only area of concern I have is Palmer in goal, I've never seen anything that says to me he's up to it at this level - but I am happy to be proven wrong - and as Sheff says (I agree a lot with your analysis above), a lack of backup for AMS. I have backed Freemantle to need a run of games to kick on before, and if he can have 5 games on the bounce and stay fit, I hope we'll see dividends.

We appear to have slightly more depth this season, but I'd argue potentially not enough. We'll see how lucky or unlucky we are with injuries.

We should be aiming for winning the title. We're big enough, have a good crowd behind us and there is a feelgood factor at Aggborough, nascently again. The board has backed Penn as well. This will be a bigger test of him than last year, as those expectations are in place and we had such a poor end to the season. If we are noticably outside the top three come December, I think people will start to get a bit jittery. The question will be how the players handle that.

Will see you all for the first home game in 10 days or so. COYR.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

maxspeed
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by maxspeed » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:46 am

Just some quick musings, I think Russ has done brilliantly with those he has brought in and maybe we will see one/two more in the coming days, but I would argue that the match day squad is significantly stronger than last season, we had a strong first eleven, but lacked quality and the ability to change the game from the bench. I don't share the concerns over a striker, Man City managed perfectly well without a recognised front man and Harriers have potential goals from all over the team, set pieces could be even more important this season, I felt Baj & Cameron, for all their defensive qualities were not as effectiove in the opposition box as they should have been, that could be key this season. Indeed, actually trying to second guess Russ's team selection for Saturday isn't straight forward. I agree about the air of expectation being raised a notch and I'm sure we are in for some exciting games.

COYR

koro
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by koro » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:39 am

The signing of Byrne is significant for me. The club are needing to make up for both his electrician earnings and his semi-pro earnings so he won't be cheap. But in my opinion he is one of the best players in the NLN and much better than last season's midfielders. I hope he can keep away from injury. He interviewed well and I can see why he is club captain.

I don't really understand the concern over Palmer. His ability is well known at KHFC so that has to be better than signing someone else based on anecdote or reputation. I've seen him stand in a couple of times in previous seasons and he did not look at all out of place.

I haven't been to any friendlies but I am optimistic that my ST will be money well spent.

Grumpy old man
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Grumpy old man » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:52 am

In the interview with one of our new players (TOE or Byrne I think, but I could be wrong), he implies that Fylde are the only other full time club in NLN this season. Can anybody confirm if this is correct? If so, it sets the bar fairly high for RP and also gives added motivation to all the other teams when they play either of us.

TWG85
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by TWG85 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:10 pm

Grumpy old man wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:52 am
In the interview with one of our new players (TOE or Byrne I think, but I could be wrong), he implies that Fylde are the only other full time club in NLN this season. Can anybody confirm if this is correct? If so, it sets the bar fairly high for RP and also gives added motivation to all the other teams when they play either of us.
I believe so.

Gateshead & York were both full-time and have gone up, Gloucester have reverted back to part-time after it not paying dividends last season, Southport went back to part-time a couple of seasons ago......I believe there were rumblings of Boston turning full-time, but I don't think it materialised (And Byrne would know - his interview).

Edit: Blanked on King's Lynn. They were full-time last year and haven't heard of a change.
Last edited by TWG85 on Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:27 pm

Are Chester still a hybrid part time/full time?

TWG85
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by TWG85 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:55 pm

Phil wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:27 pm
Are Chester still a hybrid part time/full time?
Won't pretend to know for certain, but given the roll back with the budgeting recently, I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't very much part-time these days, Phil.

WBAKHFC123
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by WBAKHFC123 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:42 am

Hereford, Chester, Gloucester all hybrid.

Train 3 times a week.

Kiddy and Fylde only full time clubs.

Everyone else, including Kings Lynn are part time.

TWG85
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by TWG85 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:41 am

WBAKHFC123 wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:42 am
Well you best inform their manager and fanbase then, WBAKHFC123. According to them they're still full-time. :)

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:55 pm

Kit announcement coming at what looks like 5PM via Twitter.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

WBAKHFC123
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by WBAKHFC123 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:55 pm

TWG85 wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:41 am
WBAKHFC123 wrote:
Well you best inform their manager and fanbase then, WBAKHFC123. According to them they're still full-time. :)
Tommy knows don’t worry, Tues and Thurs day time sessions are part time not full time 😂

TWG85
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by TWG85 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:07 pm

WBAKHFC123 wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:55 pm
TWG85 wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:41 am
WBAKHFC123 wrote:
Tommy knows don’t worry, Tues and Thurs day time sessions are part time not full time 😂
Think you misinterpreted my post there, fella. Nevermind.

Got ourselves a charlatan.

PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA » Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:43 pm

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:13 am

J O'C talks about the academy