New players / trialists / rumours 1

I've put all the more interesting old threads in here so they can still be seen following the board overhaul in October 2008. It'll be read only.

Moderator: Phil

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: New players / trialists / rumours. PLEASE KEEP SIGNINGS TO THIS THREAD

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:09 pm

It all seems rather odd to me. We seem over accommodated in midfield and short up front. Maybe Russ has a lot of faith in Ceesay down the middle but that's not his natural position is if? Nor is it Hemmings.

I don't support signing a striker for the sake of it as they need to be good enough. I'd be surprised if we've not got feelers out for a loan.

Robbo
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Robbo » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:36 pm

Personally feel although a striker looks needed, I feel Russ will go with Ceesay upfront on Saturday and with the heat, he will probably be monitoring to see whether AMS is able to contribute Tuesday onwards. If not, we might see a striker then as the heat will take its toll on the players and will need to be careful for the players welfare.

HarrierN2
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by HarrierN2 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:14 pm

Robbo wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:36 pm
Personally feel although a striker looks needed, I feel Russ will go with Ceesay upfront on Saturday and with the heat, he will probably be monitoring to see whether AMS is able to contribute Tuesday onwards. If not, we might see a striker then as the heat will take its toll on the players and will need to be careful for the players welfare.
RP said 2-4 weeks until AMS is fit, so a week on Saturday would seem to be the absolute earliest we could see him...

cjh201170
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by cjh201170 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:44 pm

cjh201170 wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:39 am
With AMS still injured and Freemantle taking a knock on Saturday there's no mention or rumour of another striker coming in. Will RP play Brown? Ceesay? Not convinced this is the wise option and sincerely hope a loan signing is due this week. Is there anyone in the know?
Need another striker.

maxspeed
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by maxspeed » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:00 am

TO be fair, if Hemmings had scored the penalty, it would have been a completely different game and I think Harriers would have gone on to win easily, but as long as it was 0-0, Leamington just sat deeper and deeper, not sure A N Other up front would have made a difference, as we didn't really create loads of chances in the final thirty minutes win the game and the subject of another new striker would not be up for discussion, maybe let Lowe take the next one ?

HarrierN2
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by HarrierN2 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:48 pm

Lot of pressure on Hemmings to put the next penalty we get away. I think both TOE and Byrne have been penalty takers at their previous clubs. To be fair to Ash, his penalty stats have been strong, but that stuttering run up style always makes me nervous.

King Monkey
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by King Monkey » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:37 pm

cjh201170 wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:44 pm
cjh201170 wrote:
With AMS still injured and Freemantle taking a knock on Saturday there's no mention or rumour of another striker coming in. Will RP play Brown? Ceesay? Not convinced this is the wise option and sincerely hope a loan signing is due this week. Is there anyone in the know?
Need another striker.
I dont thinks that straight forward to go and get another striker to be honest.

What will happen to Freemantle when we have 3 strikers on the books and play 1 up front every week? You'll end up sending him out on loan and we're back to square one of having two CF's again.

AMS when fit is the first name on the team sheet so you wont be able to bring one in on loan to play second fiddle - clubs wont let that happen. They'll want their player getting minutes.

I say just be patient, get AMS fit and we'll be just fine.

Big season for Freemantle this though, he needs to kick on for me.

cjh201170
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by cjh201170 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:34 pm

King Monkey wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:37 pm
cjh201170 wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:44 pm
cjh201170 wrote:
Need another striker.
I dont thinks that straight forward to go and get another striker to be honest.

What will happen to Freemantle when we have 3 strikers on the books and play 1 up front every week? You'll end up sending him out on loan and we're back to square one of having two CF's again.

AMS when fit is the first name on the team sheet so you wont be able to bring one in on loan to play second fiddle - clubs wont let that happen. They'll want their player getting minutes.

I say just be patient, get AMS fit and we'll be just fine.

Big season for Freemantle this though, he needs to kick on for me.
I think perhaps it would have been easier had we not overloaded the squad in one or two other areas.
EF is still to prove himself IMO. He has endless amounts of enthusiasm and work-rate but doesn't look a natural finisher to me - a loan spell would do him good. The reason I want a third striker is that I am unsure as to whether EF is good enough to be our second striker.
AMS led the line brilliantly last year. However, he is at the other end of his career and may struggle to maintain the necessary fitness levels for a 46 game season. I just feel we've missed a trick. That's all.
That said, if our attacking midfielders click, we may score enough from behind the striker.
It's all about having the options for me.
Another striker brings us other choices should the game not be going our way. eg; change of formation or more direct style of play.

All about opinions isn't it !! :scarf:

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:53 pm

New striker from Klopp Land:

https://twitter.com/khfcofficial/status/1565350011537350657 https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1523664379354484736

Mayo
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Mayo » Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:07 pm

Great news, lets hope he's cut from the same cloth as young Rhys.
Keeper of the fabled Lee Hughes Red Boot, Croasdale #4, Prosser #16 & Bell #14 (very lightly used) shirts.

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:10 pm

Can't remember a more impressive interview from a player!

Welcome to Aggborough, Jack.
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

Harry Aire
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harry Aire » Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:16 pm

Good lad. Exciting development. Good luck Jack

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:18 pm

TWG85
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by TWG85 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:05 pm

Seems an incredibly mature young lad. Fairly local as well originally being from Nottingham. Hopefully proves to be shrewd business.

maxspeed
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by maxspeed » Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:01 pm

One would assume Liverpool have not loaned him to sit on the bench,like Williams I would imagine he's destined to start on a regular basis. So how does he fit in? As support for the central striker from wide or does Russ change the formation and Harriers go with two up top, either way who steps down to the bench ? Maybe EF goes out on loan, but IMO that would be a little unfair based on the fact that he's top scorer so far. Nevertheless, the fact that Russ has augmented the striking position must be a positive, hopefully supporting the claim that he has more than enough firepower. I wish I had this info before making my score predictions for September !!