James Pearson
No votes

Total votes: 9

HarrierN2
Subs bench
Subs bench

Re: MotM: 05-02-18 Curzon (A)

Post by HarrierN2 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:35 am

What a cross from McQuilkin for Elton's near miss header. Left footed.

Waggy
Youth team
Youth team

Post by Waggy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:21 pm

Pre-match it might seem a little odd to hope that a game would be called off; however, most of the “Werthers” gang and I were of that mindset. The prospect on journeying on the dreaded M6 (aka 666) to a banana skin of a match had little appeal. Somewhere along the way we escaped the entrapment of the satanic strip of tarmac, on which one could espy drivers desperately throwing out St Christopher medals that held no sway on this very devil of a highway. There was a marginal improvement in traffic flow but we totally missed out on the services, all leading to a different sort of flow problem after being trapped on board for 3+ hours. Firmly crossed legs, being joined by fingers likewise in a wish for a win, countered the travel tribulations.

Contrary to all fears, the pitch looked remarkably good. Mind you, under less-than-dazzling lights it was difficult to tell. As usual their fans, stewards and officials were all in a friendly mode. The only belligerence shown was by their players, which is just as it should be. In spite of a few of them looking as if they may have over-indulged on the pies, they were to give a good account of themselves, especially the keeper, Mason.

We started brightly enough and even in the early stages looked the likely victors. But thanks to the woodwork and an outstanding performance by the aforementioned custodian we had nothing to show as a reward. The quality of crosses, especially by McQuilkin and Vaughan, beggared the thought, “Oh for a taller striker”. (Hold the front page.) Even though the temperature dipped, our performance didn’t, with Croasdale opening our account which was no less than we deserved or expected. I have to confess that I missed their equaliser. Briefly what happened was that I found myself helping one of our supporters who appeared to have become frozen in a sitting posture. With the help of the stewards we managed to straighten him out and find him a place of warmth where I very nearly stayed myself. Upon learning of the equaliser, I almost wished I had. The omens of past surrendered leads dwelled. If you add up the number of draws we’ve registered, it’s easy to see how costly they’ve proven. This was when the value of a strong bench was shown with the introduction of Waring, Bradley and latterly Pearson. Even as Waring warmed up he drew many an anxious glance with good reason. We once again started to dominate, and Bradley’s setup of Waring’s winner was reminiscent of how he used to play when he was first on our books, which was superb. It was a bit of a nail-biting finish towards the final whistle when Curzon were awarded a free kick right on the edge of the box. To be honest, I was not the only one who thought it should have been a penalty.

Thought the score may have suggested a close game, in truth we were worthy winners. It is a bit too much, I guess, to expect to have Waring in the starting line-up I’d dearly like to see him make an early impact against Spennymoor. It’s hard to believe but yours truly, in what must have been a “senior moment”, has already booked my passage more in than hope than certainty to witness the upset of a win for us in yet another far-flung bastion of the north. It just shows what a sadsack I’ve become.
The older I get, the better I was.

Medieval
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Medieval » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:43 pm

Nice report again Waggy.
Well done to all who travelled & the team for delivering.
Hope the players can fit in some shooting practice before Saturday so the result will reflect the game.

jim mankey
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by jim mankey » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:37 pm

The Curzon keeper was a class act, both in his performance and his complimentary views on our style of play, top man.

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:16 am

Anyone that went to the game that hasn't voted for their MotM yet? I'm sure more than 6 went.

pershoreharrier
Sponsors James Baxendale
Sponsors James Baxendale

Post by pershoreharrier » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:00 pm

Waggy wrote: It’s hard to believe but yours truly, in what must have been a “senior moment”, has already booked my passage more in than hope than certainty to witness the upset of a win for us in yet another far-flung bastion of the north. It just shows what a sadsack I’ve become.

I take it the NHS cuts have seen your carer re-assigned and you are left at the mercy of your 'senior moments' exposing yourself to unfavourable weather conditions in the far flung north.