MotM: 23-03-24 Wealdstone (A) Hemmings

Where you can find all the links to online match resources and Man of the Match polls

Moderator: Phil

Wealdstone 1 Harriers 1

Poll ended at Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:03 pm

Christian Dibble
24%
Alex Penny
14%
Caleb Richards
5%
Reiss McNally
No votes
Krystian Pearce
14%
Regan Griffiths
No votes
Zak Brown
No votes
Sam Bellis
No votes
Amari Morgan-Smith
No votes
Ashley Hemmings
29%
Jack Lambert
5%
Jay Emmanuel-Thomas
10%
Matt Preston
No votes
Charlie Weston
No votes

Total votes: 21

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: MotM: 23-03-24 Wealdstone (A)

Post by pershoreharrier » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:51 am

Sheffield Harrier wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:40 am
ograzebrook wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:20 am
Surprised by the resignation here. We picked up a point while most others around us lost... only 2 points from safety. Its still in our hands.
We are going down and the future is very uncertain. We have a random cast of players including many that know they won’t be here next season. I wonder if some of them care that much. Brown and McDonald will be on their way. We’ve thrown some money at it (probably wasted) and I expect Lane will be cutting his/our cloth accordingly (but don’t expect the admission prices to go down).
Well if you are going to be miserable might as well make it as miserable as possible. Cannot be throwing in the towel although some threw it in weeks ago. We expect the players and management to fight for survival in this league surely the least we can do is fight with them and support them.

aberred
1st team
1st team

Post by aberred » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:50 am

Those at Aggborough have to do their bit in the remaining three home games. As tempting as it is to moan when things aren’t going right, we have to encourage the players to play beyond themselves. 9 points is not out of the question given the opposition, but we’re only going to get out of this mess if we’re all pulling the right direction.

We looked a threat from the highlights of the 2nd half yesterday. It will have given PB food for thought about team selection.

Simple fact is, when you’re 2 points from safety with 15 still to play for, then you’d be foolish to write anyone off no matter who your remaining fixtures are against.

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:33 pm

TomLong78
Reserves
Reserves

Post by TomLong78 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:35 pm

ograzebrook wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:20 am
Surprised by the resignation here. We picked up a point while most others around us lost... only 2 points from safety. Its still in our hands.
Agree with this. I am always irritatingly optimistic, and although I am disappointed we didn’t win one of of the fixtures at Bromley and Wealdstone, I still strongly believe we’re going to stay up.

We have five games to go. I genuinely think all of these games are winnable.

First of all, the elephant in the room. I am an optimist, but I also see what we all see. We struggle (badly) to score goals. We’re not creative enough. The midfield is practically non-existent in recent weeks. So, yes, we have issues, but we have to look at each game as it comes and work out a way of winning.

The three games at home are against Alty (who we have drawn against twice this season already, so no fears there), Halifax (who we lost to in the Autumn, but I understand we probably should have beaten, or at least got something from the game) and Eastleigh (who are rapidly dropping into the mire themselves).

On paper the away games could not be harder. Chesterfield have not lost at home all season, yet they literally already have the league trophy in their possession, so have nothing to play for. Likewise, I fully expect Barnet to have secured 2nd place and a home PO SF by the time we play them. Again our need for points on the day will be far greater than theirs.

We can absolutely do this, and unless or until it becomes mathematically impossible, I will be keeping the faith. #COYR

auspice
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by auspice » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:44 pm

We seem to perform better against teams not in the relegation dogfight. Only Eastleigh of the remaining fixtures are in the relegation mix.

If we are really positive and aggressive at Chesterfield I think it is quite conceivable we can nick 3 points. Psychologically they will have switched off and be thinking of their well deserved break before returning to the Football League. Hopefully Barnet will have secured 2nd spot by the time we travel down there and similarly may be more concentrated on the play-offs and rest regular players.

I know we keep saying every game is must win - but we are still in with a decent shout of staying up. Who would have thought York would have gained consecutive wins after their feeble display at Aggborough followed by a 6-goal tonking?

Ever the optimist BUT I do feel we must beat Alty on Friday - the first truly must win for me. Nil desperandum.

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:49 pm

Bucks Harrier
Youth team
Youth team

Post by Bucks Harrier » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:40 pm

I remember the last time I was at that ground there was a WW2 machine gun nest behind the goal. A concrete defensive position built in depth which fast forward 75 years was Dibble in that first half. Our Dunkirk moment was making it to the floatila of a point earnt and escaping to fight another day.

TWG85
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by TWG85 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:47 pm

Bewdleyharrier wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:39 pm
This inevitable relegation is on Penn and Lanes refusal to pull the trigger a month earlier
Post got a mention on Brown's latest Talksport interview, Bewdley, if you haven't heard. :D

centreforeword
1st team
1st team

Post by centreforeword » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:17 pm

I've not been around for a couple of months but am now looking forward to attending 4 out of the last 5 games.

Despite all the despondency, I remain hopeful.

52 points should do it - 3 wins from 5 games.

And in my eyes any of the 5 games are winnable.

It's not got quite the same vibe as the 9 wins in a row we enjoyed last season to gain promotion but nearly as enthralling and exciting.

Still no good for the nerves

#COYR

Tom.10
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Tom.10 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:27 pm

I refuse to stop believing. Harriers have always been a team that lose to bottom table teams while exceeding expectations and beating the top teams. Let's hope that's how this season's story concludes...

HarrierN2
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by HarrierN2 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:42 pm

I feel like we need to go 4-4-2, start JET and probably Charlie Weston from now on?

I think that little bit of quality could make a big difference, plus we don't still seem to be scoring goals with the 5 at the back/2 wingbacks approach.

Will we stay up? Who knows. But it's another rollercoaster coming up...

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:03 pm

I always find it curious to see the difference in comments from people who went to the game balanced against those who didn't.

I walked away from the game yesterday thinking that might be it, in all reality. We're without a win in five, and we are consistently unable to beat sides around us. I understand the argument that we normally play better against sides higher up, but our performance against Bromley last week didn't give me too much cause for optimism.

The first half yesterday was terrible. Wealdstone were very good, it must be said, and Kretschmar is an incredible player. Having just written the report I had forgotten just how much he was involved in durign the first half when they should have gone in at half time three goals ahead. We just couldn't track them around the league, let alone lay a glove on them. That move where they hit the bar, post and forced Dibble into a save within sixty seconds was sublime - but at the same time, we didn't have an answer. Where has that high pressing, high tempo side gone? For most of this season we have been a good side for 45 minutes out of 90 every week, but yesterday we seemed to factor that into our approach and just sit off for the first half. Perhaps that was why we were able to create so much second half? Perhaps Brown knows more about football than I do. (He does). But it is just incredibly frustrating to see this happen. Both Griffiths and Brown were anonymous, Hemmings marooned at wing back, and otherwise we are back to relying on AMS and Lambert. We can't keep doing that.

The second half was much better, the highlights are always misleading - but I didn't realise how much we did create. The golden chance was Hemmo's one just before he scored where he tried inexplicably to take it around Dewhurst. Was he nervous? Lacking in confidence? Just trying to be clever? Either way, when a player is through on goal and pauses I always get worried. Luckily he lashed one in just after and hopefully this will be the start of another Hemmo mini-run of goals.

Using the loss of Byrne as a turning point is interesting - but the problem is far more complex. We are too safe, too negative at times. Parts of yesterday made me wonder whether Russ Penn was back in our dugout. I wonder sometimes whether Brown has an exact plan for each game of how many points he wants and won't deviate from it. Wealdstone were beatable yesterday, but I think he reckoned it was better not to lose and not let them get too far away from us. It would explain the lack of ambition against Bromley.

After writing the report and watching the highlights I'm in a slightly sunnier mood. But the reality is that the window for survival has narrowed to such an extent that makes Luke Skywalker blowing up the Death Star a dead cert. It feels like the attitude of some is similar to the start of the season where we were picking up the odd draw or two but not performing terribly, and using that as a comfort. We need to win, and leaving it until the last day is completely unnecessary.

Final note: the Wealdstone programme is superb. Reminds me a bit of ours from 20 years ago or so. Proper content.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

Jasper
1st team
1st team

Post by Jasper » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:33 pm

harry211 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:03 pm

Final note: the Wealdstone programme is superb. Reminds me a bit of ours from 20 years ago or so. Proper content.
Excellent programme apart from having Gabby Rogers, left two years ago and Ben Krauhaus, Bromley player in our line-up.

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:55 pm

And misspelling Bellis name.

Would say some very good articles in it.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:58 pm

Compared to Bromleys expensively bound, but a total lack of content, programme the Stones one was chalk to cheese