Total votes: 28

Swansea Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Re: 05-12-21 Halifax (H)

Post by Swansea Harrier » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:00 pm

AussieShaymen wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:24 pm
Well what can I say, we were diabolical today, but you guys were superb and great game management in that 2nd half. Apologies for a few of our idiots throwing things in 2nd half. Trust me the majority were screaming at them to stop being idiots. Best of luck on next rd, and on that performance maybe in National League next season. As for us, hopefully it was just a blip.
Aussie, you are indeed a gentleman and very gracious in defeat. I do believe you represent the majority of Halifax fans too, not the minority behind the goal.

I think your boys panicked when the second goal went jn and started making errors. They definitely regained their composure after a rocket at half time and it felt like the whole second half was played in our half - but our organisation was excellent and it was us creating chances on the break.

You could clearly see you have a very food side with very talented players who just had a collective off day. Waters worked really hard for you, could stay on his feet more. I was worried about Slew before the fame but he was anonymous.

Best of luck in your bid to get back into the Football League. Failing that, hopefully see you next season...

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: MotM: 05-12-21 Halifax (H)

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:02 pm

Brilliant stuff.

We played really well to a man.

Halifax were frightened by our attacking play and Cameron and Bajrami had Waters and co in their pockets. Simpson didn't have a save to make! Who needs possession eh?!

Halifax fans had an issue with the ref- struggling to see why. Perhaps their biggest pen shout was the Penny collision first half but even that would have been harsh. Their first half yellow was a yellow all day. Strongest penalty shout was ours in the second half. At least their manager seemed honest in his interview. We wanted it more.

Swansea Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Swansea Harrier » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:07 pm

What am amazing day! Blew them away first half, then dug in under pressure and against the wind second half. I can't remember Luke Simpson having a save to make - if we really limited such a free scoring side to zero shots on target then that is a superb effort.

We had 11 heroes put there, says everything that Russ made no changes to their five.

Must say the ref had a superb game - Halifax fans will disagree but the clarity of his decisions were spot on and he didn't put up with any diving or backchat.

Some truly special memories being created this season. Thank you so much Russ Penn, Jimmy O'Connor and the team - you've restored pride to the club and the fans and we are all so proud of you!

Can't wait for the draw tomorrow night! I mean, we'll probably get Morecambe or Hartlepool away, but no harm in dreaming...

Medieval
1st team
1st team

Post by Medieval » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:27 pm

Can`t add to any of the above. Again, unable to decide mom.

Nice touch when during a break in play play AMS shouted to the East stand "anyone got some water?" a plastic bottle then landed at his feet from which he shared with the other players.

Badger
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Badger » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:29 pm

Harrier1994 wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:53 pm
What a day! 3rd Round here we come!!!

I've gone for AMS for MOTM. Ran himself into the ground, won loads of battles and grabbed that important opener. But the whole team were on form!
I totally agree and have also gone for AMS but it was such a hard choice as I could of made a good shout for any one of the kiddy boys out there today,

Who do we want to beat next!!!

:red_army: :red_army:
"Have more than you show, speak less than you know." - Shakespeare

Swansea Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Swansea Harrier » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:31 pm

I can't believe we had so little of the ball. I always feel we look better when controlling possession, but it is great we can mix it up and change tack when necessary. Second half Halifax really pushed us back but we defended so well and really nullified them.

TWG85
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by TWG85 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:41 pm

Delighted for AMS. After an unfortunate start (albeit largely of his own doing), he's really starting to show his worth and prove an asset to the team.

Last edited by TWG85 on Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:43 pm

A bizarrely anticlimatic game. Worried that we scored too early, and then somehow we scored again. Expected Halifax to come back at us more, especially in the second half, especially when they had five sets of fresh legs on the pitch, especially being near the top of the league above. But they never really did. One shot whizzed over the bar in the first half, but that was it.

We were very very good. Gritty, strong, created chances and didn't let the occasion overwhelm us. Did worry that with 4000+ fans and more build up, some might freeze. Previous Harriers' sides would have let that happen, but there was no signs of it. It was an uncontroversial result, almost businesslike.

Tactically, again, Russ got it spot on. Halifax didn't know how to break us down, and our shape was brilliant. Nobody was out of step. The period of possession at the start of the second half saw pressure, but we kept breaking up the play enough to stop them and keep them frustrated. I was one of those surprised we didn't make any changes. I feared a repeat of a performance I saw Aberystwyth Town have in the Welsh Cup in 2014. Having gone two goal up, unexpectedly, TNS made changes and the fresh legs provided momentum for a comeback. When I saw AMS and others flagging I feared the worse, and thought Freemantle and Martin would have come on - but they dug deep and managed ot see it out.

Thought Halifax were poor. Did not look anything like a side that is challenging to go into the football league, and while Waters had some good movement, we didn't allow the ball to be played to him, or him to do much with it when he did get a sniff.

MOTM for me was Bonds. Think he covered every blade of grass three or four times over. They all ran their socks off but he was like a fire warden, extinguishing blazes wherever they emerged on the pitch.

Can understand some gripes from Halifax about the referee. It felt like we got all of the 50-50 decisions. Could see how they might have won a penalty in the second half, but the ref also turned down a stone wall pen on AMS about 80 minutes in.

Final note, partly because of how low-drama the game was, the celebrations at the end felt muted. Can understand the pitch invasion, but actually felt as though it took away from the jubilation we saw after Grimsby. Sceptical of the attendance figure, seemed there were more than 3500 Harriers fans.

We have a team and a club to be proud of and take great pleasure in. I've said it before, this season feels special and as though there's something in the water. Soak it up, and enjoy it, because it won't last forever. Onwards. Let's get a good draw and on TV please!
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

Joe Stalin
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Joe Stalin » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:57 pm

Couldn't make today, due to a family birthday, so a nervous drive back up the M5, but I should have had more faith! So proud of the team and the club, this season is the best we've had in almost a decade, long may it continue! Off to Worcester Raiders on Tuesday - they're all big Cup Finals now!

Krasnyi
1st team
1st team

Post by Krasnyi » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:23 pm

So proud of the lads today, another immense performance. Carrington and Bonds bossed midfield. Cameron and Bajrami cool as cucumbers, never rushed. Didn’t realise how good Hemmo’s goal was until I saw the highlights. On the evidence of this and the Grimsby game we’d more than hold our own in the National League.

I’m guessing we may be in trouble over the pitch invasion and glares.

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:05 pm

https://twitter.com/khfcofficial/status/1467568933272231940 https://twitter.com/harriersarms_/status/1467580886455664641

TWG85
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by TWG85 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:11 pm

Giddy Shane in all his glory :D

TomLong78
Reserves
Reserves

Post by TomLong78 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:13 pm

Joe Stalin wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:57 pm
Couldn't make today, due to a family birthday, so a nervous drive back up the M5, but I should have had more faith! So proud of the team and the club, this season is the best we've had in almost a decade, long may it continue! Off to Worcester Raiders on Tuesday - they're all big Cup Finals now!
Like Joe, I too couldn’t make the game due to a long-standing family commitment.

But I felt very relaxed all afternoon. Normally when we’re playing and I am not there, I am a bag of nerves, checking Twitter/FlashScore every two minutes (or what feels like that).

Today, I must have checked the score only about 7 or 8 times all game. Of course, it helps when you see you’re two up in little more than 15 minutes, but I just had a good feeling about the game and a trust in the players and the management.

An exciting next 20 hours or so, full of possibilities and dreams….

Harry Aire
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harry Aire » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:18 pm

Outstanding effort. We have a special team. Only thing that's worrying is the lack of depth. No subs used so that was a superhuman effort by the eleven against a lot of fresh players but how much can we realistically ask these lads to do? Anyway, enjoy the moment.

harriershane
1st team
1st team

Post by harriershane » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:29 pm

TWG85 wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:11 pm
Giddy Shane in all his glory :D

You see, I learned from the Grimsby podcast. You can’t appear upside down on an audio platform 🤣

Thanks for recording that Tom. It’s gonna be Norwich now isn’t it after I gave them the meh treatment
He who dares...wins