Omari Sterling-James
No votes

Total votes: 28

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: MotM: 05-12-21 Halifax (H)

Post by tonythescout » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:44 am

A simply brilliant performance from first whistle to the last. Penn got it totally spot on and to a man, the players were fantastic. Halifax seemed shell,shocked with how we started and didn't recover.
Atmosphere I haven't heard it like that in years, a right old partisan crowd. Last time like that since the burr days.
MOM is a difficult one, ams Cameron and bajrami all stood out for me but I've gone for Bonds. On the ball he was a level above and was everywhere.

Joe Stalin
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Joe Stalin » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:20 am

Medieval wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:27 pm
Can`t add to any of the above. Again, unable to decide mom.

Nice touch when during a break in play play AMS shouted to the East stand "anyone got some water?" a plastic bottle then landed at his feet from which he shared with the other players.
Anyone else feel a twinge of mild horror at this? I can't think why....

Obviously a wonderful day, but let's remember the world we still live in!

Edgar T Peaceful
1st team
1st team

Post by Edgar T Peaceful » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:32 am

Joe Stalin wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:20 am
Medieval wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:27 pm
Can`t add to any of the above. Again, unable to decide mom.

Nice touch when during a break in play play AMS shouted to the East stand "anyone got some water?" a plastic bottle then landed at his feet from which he shared with the other players.
Anyone else feel a twinge of mild horror at this? I can't think why....

Obviously a wonderful day, but let's remember the world we still live in!
They were all in the Harriers Arms belting out songs last night with the great unwashed so any notions of Covid bubbles will be well and truly out the window.

It's such a difficult situation. My head advises caution and I always wear a mask in shops etc, to protect others as much as myself, but people are needing to let rip and enjoy communal situations and celebrations. I feel the same and loved being in the crowd yesterday.
Sam

GloucesterHarrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by GloucesterHarrier » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:49 am

As has previously been reported a surreal match really; having watched some of the Halifax highlights from previous matches I really thought they'd be a very tough team to play against but they were so toothless, it definitely reminded me of how we'd play a few seasons ago when we had no alternative style of play - they didn't know what to do when we pressed them and we held our shape superbly throughout - as they said on the highlights show, you'd think it was Kiddy who were the higher ranked team.

It's fair to say the Halifax fans are angry, and they've every right to be - having travelled in good numbers to not register a shot on target must be really galling for them; I even saw one fan excusing the fans who were throwing stuff on the pitch saying they needed to make their own entertainment - thankfully most Halifax fans I've seen are pretty embarrassed by those antics.

Agree with a previous comment about the pitch invasion at the end; it completely ruins the atmosphere, perhaps not for a few hundred kids who ran on the pitch but it does for the majority of other fans; that said, the club are complicit really given the low numbers of stewards!

Delighted for everyone involved in the club, especially Richard Lane who has quietly gone about his business and ensure we have a competitive team to support during a real torrid time.

Now back to watching the highlights again for the 115th time!

harrypatch
Youth team
Youth team

Post by harrypatch » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:02 am

Fantastic team and backroom staff performance. The talents are spread so evenly throughout the side these days. Cameron had a fantastic game and AMS has clearly been ‘born again’ and is now a favourite with me. Having seen plenty of Harrier’s teams over the years, I am struggling to think of a more accomplished player than Bajrami to ever don a red top? Well done to all apart from the hot heads who invaded the pitch to spoil the celebrations for the rest of us. I just hope that the day doesn’t prove to be a supernspreader event when the dust settles for team and fans alike.

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:08 am

When I was 12-15 I am sure I would have been on the pitch too. It sort of spoiled it because those of us left in the East Stand just sort of ended up standing there waiting to applaud the team (thankfully, they could eventually come over and acknowledge the fans). It was amusing to see Russ Penn striding around the pitch on his own during the invasion - I wondered whether many who had gone on the pitch knew who he was.

The stewards were hot on taking lids off young fans' bottles of pop before the game. Its a shame they couldn't find the culprits throwing stuff to disrupt the game.

They did do well to prevent a confrontation though - a couple of brave Halifax fans managed to get onto the pitch when ours were goading them but they didn't make it very far. One lad had sprinted 30-40 yards, turned round to see which of his mates had followed only to realise he was on his own. He soon found a steward.........

Harry Err
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harry Err » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:53 am

harrypatch wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:02 am
Fantastic team and backroom staff performance. The talents are spread so evenly throughout the side these days. Cameron had a fantastic game and AMS has clearly been ‘born again’ and is now a favourite with me. Having seen plenty of Harrier’s teams over the years, I am struggling to think of a more accomplished player than Bajrami to ever don a red top? Well done to all apart from the hot heads who invaded the pitch to spoil the celebrations for the rest of us. I just hope that the day doesn’t prove to be a supernspreader event when the dust settles for team and fans alike.
Why should yesterday be a "super spreader event" ? There are literally hundreds of events every week with larger crowds than we had.

Enjoy the win and stop worrying unduly about matters which are perhaps not as bad as some would have you believe.

ograzebrook
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by ograzebrook » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:32 pm

Wonderful day. I didn''t feel a sense of anti climax at all...happy to reach an early climax myself - job done either way ;)

Initially I was thinking of giving MOM to a midfield player - all were brilliant. AMS was wasted by the end and the only player I would have comfortably seen subbed for Freementle. The no sub strategy was interesting and payed off - everyone knew who they were tracking and marking and knew their role.

Then I was reminded of Cameron and Bajrami and what a duo they were. Cameron was a beast, Bajrami was cool and collected under pressure.

I went with Cameron.

Atmosphere was the best in a long long time - well done everyone. Even though pyrotechnics are a no no, I do like to see the smoke bombs on grand occasions and the officials make such a unnecessary fuss by pointing at them rather than just kicking them off the pitch.

The pitch invasion is a cup tradition and didn't bother me other than a lad doing knee slides in the box and leaving marks on the pitch - not very clever!!! Have a word please parents. It's possible to have fun and show respect.

That will live long in my memory and I hope the same is true for my son who attended too,

ograzebrook
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by ograzebrook » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:33 pm

...oh and I don't agree with comments about Halifax being a poor side at all. They looked sharp and moved the ball and found space very well...we were just even better at closing them down. There's a difference.

When a team plays as well as we did, it can make good teams seem poor.

Tom.10
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Tom.10 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:05 pm

Thoroughly enjoyed yesterday. Not much to add on the team's performance. Struggled to pick MOM but went for Bonds in the end. Don't think 90 minutes without a sub says anything about our depth. The plan worked from start to finish and the fitness shown by the squad was immense so no need for changes. Great to see Foulkes back available. Hard to see how Moyo will get back in the team now.

Atmosphere was fantastic, still haven't got my voice back. Pitch invasion was a shame and I really hope it doesn't
result in a fine for the club. Though glad the team came back out after. Made me a littel nervous to see the players
celebrating in a packed Harriers Arms, last thing we need is to miss a couple of games in December, but who can blame them?!

Looking forward to the draw tonight! I'd happily take a home match to a non league side, with the chance of a win and another £82,000 in prize money. £75,000 so far. Lets hope that's a foundation for keeping this squad together and a promotion push this year or next!
Last edited by Tom.10 on Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mayo
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Mayo » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:14 pm

I wonder if we'll put some of that prize money into offering Bajrami a contract
Keeper of the fabled Lee Hughes Red Boot, Croasdale #4, Prosser #16 & Bell #14 (very lightly used) shirts.

Bigfoot
1st team
1st team

Post by Bigfoot » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:27 pm

What a wonderful day that was!!

The outfield 10 seemed to always be in the right place and Halifax made to look ordinary - but we know they are not ordinary at all. Their league position doesn't lie.

Looking forward to the draw tonight but not sure who I really want !

A good day out or a massive home game? I prefer a full Aggborough to a massive stadium part full.

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:05 pm

Can't really add anything about the game that hasnt already been said, but in the wider context when you stop the opposition getting out of their half for 10 minutes at a time youre doing something right! :D
In hindsight I cant help but compare to the Eustace era; had we gone 2 up back then we would have dropped back into our shell and allowed Halifax to come on to us and dictate the tempo.
This team however presses high and with tenacious constant energy, and though not as technically gifted plays on the deck with a far greater pace and urgency that negates the oppositions efforts.

Talked to few pragmatic Halifax fans in the pub after, who feel the loss might help focus their season now on all-important promotion. Consensus was we are better than at least two thirds of the NL division above, and could hold our own easily.

On a slightly more reflective note, we are now (dependent on the draw) going to be under more of a public spotlight than normal. Not only are a few NL/EFL clubs with money to spend going to cast an envious eye over selected members of the team come January, but inevitably the Penn/O Connor partnership could be deemed suitable for a few rudderless clubs further up the pyramid come the new year.
Lets hope the club already has things tightened down in that respect.
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

Harrier1994
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harrier1994 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:25 pm

garthrockett wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:05 pm
Can't really add anything about the game that hasnt already been said, but in the wider context when you stop the opposition getting out of their half for 10 minutes at a time youre doing something right! :D
In hindsight I cant help but compare to the Eustace era; had we gone 2 up back then we would have dropped back into our shell and allowed Halifax to come on to us and dictate the tempo.
This team however presses high and with tenacious constant energy, and though not as technically gifted plays on the deck with a far greater pace and urgency that negates the oppositions efforts.

Talked to few pragmatic Halifax fans in the pub after, who feel the loss might help focus their season now on all-important promotion. Consensus was we are better than at least two thirds of the NL division above, and could hold our own easily.

On a slightly more reflective note, we are now (dependent on the draw) going to be under more of a public spotlight than normal. Not only are a few NL/EFL clubs with money to spend going to cast an envious eye over selected members of the team come January, but inevitably the Penn/O Connor partnership could be deemed suitable for a few rudderless clubs further up the pyramid come the new year.
Lets hope the club already has things tightened down in that respect.
I think Penn and Jimmy signed new contracts at the start of the seaosn till 2023

ograzebrook
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by ograzebrook » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:26 pm

Next ... Bajrami